• Scavenging Jawas find R2-D2 in the Jundland Wastes. They incapacitate the droid and attach a restraining bolt to keep him from escaping. The pluncky astromech droid is then placed in the cluttered hold of the Jawas' sandcrawler.
• This new, scene-specific, R2 (based on the VOTC mold) is a repaint of the 2005 Early Bird Kit R2-D2 that featured the non-removable utility panel.
• For the first time since the POTF2 Commtech release has R2's body included the restraining bolt detail on his body.
• Although this figure omits the utility panel and arm accessories* from the VOTC release, R2 retains the working pop-up periscope when the dome is rotated. Also, this marks the first time that this sculpt has received the silver painted dome as previous released all featured a vac-metalized dome.
* The card back actually shows the utility arm accessories attached to the body which is obviously an error for this release.
• The basic VOTC mold has, thus far, been utilized on 6 different versions of R2 in the modern line:
- 2004 VOTC Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2) with Extension Arm
- 2005 Wal-Mart Exclusive Early Bird Kit R2-D2
- 2006 TSC #010 R2-D2 (Battle of Hoth)
- 2007 TAC #46 R2-D2 with Cargo Net
- 2008 TLC "Training on the Falcon" Battle Pack (TSC #10 repack)
- 2008 TLC "Shield Generator Assault" Battle Pack (R2-D2 with snap on power surge effects)
- 2009 LC BD29 R2-D2 (Jawa Ambush)
• Accessories: Removable center leg/foot and snap-on ion blast/stun effect.
• The packaging for this figure includes a call-out sticker to promote the 2009 Eopie with Qui-Gon Jinn Mailaway Offer.
• Build-A-Droid part: Includes the dome and center leg/foot for the astromech R3-A2. or the torso for YVH-1.