Image Image Image Image Image

Price Increases: Necessary evil or $$$ grab

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Peakob1
Nerf Herder

Re: Price Increases: Necessary evil or $$$ grab

Postby Peakob1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:56 pm

hand plant to face! remind me to never go into Toy R Us again! this kind of thing is criminal!
JediMerc
Rebel / Imperial Pilot

Postby JediMerc » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:12 am

TRU seemed to be the one retailer that was still pricing their figures in a relatively reasonable way. I should've known that TRU couldn't allow their corporation to be the reasonable one in this retail mess we find ourselves in lately.

They took Vader's advice: "It is pointless to resist..."
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time." -- Brian Fantana (from Anchorman)
Mandalore25
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Mandalore25 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:24 am

Well if you think about it, nobody is making money on them when only the Jedi temple Guard and Sabine sell, so they need to try make up for it somewhere. At the Target I work for, the pegs are actually starting to fill because nobody wants them, no matter the price.
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:44 am

Exact opposite is happening here, the 5 POA lines sell very quickly, especially at Target at the 5.99 pricepoint. Hasbro already made it clear that both 5 POA lines are very successful. At 9.99 that can certainly change though. I won't pay it. If retailers don't keep them affordable, they'll be hurting collecting among both kids and collectors.
Mandalore25
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Mandalore25 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:56 am

Hasbro also said those Star Wars Pods things were successful yet stopped production of them after a year, not saying they were wrong to do so, just pointing out there lies. I also don't understand who'd want them if I were a kid playing with them again I'd be outraged, and insulted that Hasbro thinks that kids like them. Funny though when I was younger, and still playing with figs, my favorite were the comic packs that Hasbro said didn't appeal to kids.
master_phruby
Nerf Herder

Postby master_phruby » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:10 am

TRU raised the price to $9.99 so they can put them on "sale" for $6.99 next month.
When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true but because of the distance, not for a million years.
This message is brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 am

Well, each kid and every collector tend to have different interests. I know my nephew liked those pods, and traded them with friends at school - perhaps it was a success? Sometimes Hasbro creates a line for temporary demand based on retail trends. Look at the Command line, they admit that one didn't work out. As for 5 POA, my nephew likes the Rebels and CW characters, and asks for them. Different kids, just like adults, are interested in various things, some are focused on character selection, while others care more about articulation...

Price is a huge factor for kids and their parents though. I doubt either want to pay 9.99 for 1 figure that is 5 POA, or 12.99 for 1 SA figure...
Mandalore25
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Mandalore25 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:14 am

True, all have different taste, yet when Hasbro is producing figures taste shouldn't necessarily be priority for that same fact. They seem to be after taste in which they always end up alienating a chunk of there customers, they need not be focusing for majority market when all customers WANT to be buying figures. Though their lack of distribution over the past few years hasn't helped, making ebay my personal go to. There has to be ground between collector and kid. The hobby was great when there was only one line, like back during the 30th anniversary line. Great line up of characters with reasonable amounts of articulation that sold well, and at a fair price. Also during the time there was only one line the consistently came out with more waves, where they always seem to be rotating attention from line to line, like right now their focus is saga legends. That's ok, but for $9.99? I remember being mad when the vintage collection went that high! I might, and I may I stress might pick up a Jedi Temple Guard at that price, but a Luke, Leia, or Vader? Wouldn't you find a better one at a garage sale for $3-5?
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:23 pm

I wish Hasbro had gone to a more simplified/unified line like TAC - try and make an $8-$9 price point, with the majority of new figures with 10 pts of articulation. Throw in a gem in each wave with 14 pts of articulation, have some GOOD repacks thrown into the mix, and quit trying to be so niche with their toys. Just make a good unified line that appeals to both kids and collectors. Done and done.

:wink:
Jedimaster-c
Cantina Bartender

Postby Jedimaster-c » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 pm

Well, If I got to TRU it will be for exclusives. Luckily there are few of the SL figures I am looking for.
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Sun May 17, 2015 9:14 am

A new wave of TBS 3.75 is starting to hit now, and HTS has some of them for 12.99 along with other online retailers, some are even up to 14.99 or more. So much for the claim that the MSRP didn't change from 9.99... Is this a hike on only the last two TBS waves before TFA or the new going rate? At 12.99-14.99, I cant see casual fans buying into the SA line; and even as a longtime collector, I'm not sure I'm interested in paying that for mostly rehashes. If they're trying to poison the SA 3.75 line, its working...
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sun May 17, 2015 8:07 pm

That's a shame, they had Chewbacca, Dutch and Vader for $9.99 last week, then sold out, now relist them for more... hmmm...

That's basically $40.00 for those three figures. Are they insane?

I really hope that somehow Walmart and TRU can keep their prices in check on these things. If not, the game is going to be over for more people.

:(
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 pm

That is WAY to much. :( I know I want two Mosep Bineed figures, and maybe the Dutch figure, but even then I'm on the fence for more than $10. I'm hoping Amazon stocks these for cheaper eventually...
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Grimace
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Grimace » Mon May 18, 2015 7:14 am

are we certain these figures will even be sold in the USA?
99%
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby Paulskywalker » Mon May 18, 2015 8:53 am

I remember a few years ago makng some warning of if you accepted the prices then you'd end up seeing prices like this. Few more years and a 3 3/4" figure will $20! :o
If i wanted figures like Rebels and Legends series i'd build a time machine. Even if i did want them, i'd probably still need a time machine..

Return to “General Hasbro Discussion”