Hasbro Suggestion Thread

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Hasbro Suggestion Thread

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:27 pm

This thread is intended to be a place for Yakface forum members to compile ideas for Hasbro, suggestions, etc. Since the QnA's are dead, and Hasbro is keeping an eye on the forums, let's see if this gets us anywhere (doubtful, but at the very least it's fun to come up with ideas for Hasbro).

For starters, Hasbro has really dropped the bomb on Legends/Movie Heroes this year. Not so much with the character selection, but the actual FIGURE choices are very cheap and weak overall. There's a few cool figures, and even some new sculpts sprinkled in, but overall, it's bad. And we all know that this stuff really doesn't seem to be moving.

Here's some ideas that I have for how Movie Heroes could have been approached this year... the 12 figures shown are just examples of good versions of characters that they really should get back in the mix... and Hasbro needs to realize that this line needs to ALSO appeal to collectors. With rising prices we're expected to pay, Hasbro absolutely should NOT be throwing junk into these... they need to appeal to both young and older markets!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Wave 1
1 - Obi Wan (light up saber)
2 - Qui Gon (light up saber)
3 - Darth Maul (light up saber)
4 - Jar Jar Binks
5 - Padme Amidala (battle outfit)
6 - Anakin Skywalker (with jet/backpack thing)
7 - Battle Droid (2-pk - tan)
8 - Stormtrooper (Tantive IV Battle Pack repack)
9 - Princess Leia (VOTC ANH repack)
10 - Han Solo (VOTC repack)
11 - C-3PO (B.A.D. repack - painted gold)
12 - Vong Warrior (Comic Pack repack)

Wave 2
1 - Darth Vader (light up saber)
2 - Luke Skywalker (light up saber, ESB)
3 - Obi Wan Kenobi (light up saber, ANH)
4 - General Grievous (Legacy repack)
5 - Magna Guard (TVC repack)
6 - Clone Trooper (Evolutions AOTC repack)
7 - Yoda (VOTC repack)
8 - Galactic Marine (TAC repack)
9 - Ki Adi Mundi (ROTS repack)
10 - Galen Marek (Evolutions Raxus Prime repack)
11 - Shaak Ti (TFU Legacy repack)
12 - K'Kruhk (Legacy repack)

Wave 3
1 - Darth Sidious (light up saber)
2 - Mace Windu (light up saber)
3 - Jango Fett (Evolutions repack)
4 - Clone Trooper (ROTS #41 mold)
5 - Battle Droid (2-pk - Kashyyyk camo)
6 - Kashyyyk Clone Trooper (TAC repack)
7 - Imperial Snowtrooper (VOTC repack)
8 - Hoth Rebel Officer (TVC repack)
9 - Snowspeeder Luke (Legacy repack)
10 - Darth Nihilus (Evolutions repack)
11 - Jaina Solo (Legacy repack)
12 - Jacen Solo (Legacy repack)

Thoughts? How would everyone else approach this? What other ideas do you have for playsets, battle packs, etc.?

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: Hasbro Suggestion Thread

Postby BL4CK5H33P » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Most definitly would like to see some more Kashyyyk Clonetroops & some BikerScouts/Speederbikes sets & am ALWAYS down for any Sith & Jango/Boba Fett Evolution sets
BL4CK5H33P
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Paulskywalker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:52 pm

I've got a suggest for Hasbro.... :wink:
Some collectors can be so rude and arrogant!
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby goalieman0820 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Love your suggestions. We need more expanded universe characters in circulation even though vintage is giving us a few this year
goalieman0820
Scavenger

Postby Jedimaster-c » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:54 pm

The Saga Space Trooper that came out last year was a great attempt at getting the EU wave out.I would like to see the Phase one Dark Trooper sense that was the one figure collectors went nuts over.I never saw the EU wave at our TRU wich seriously dropped the ball.
Jedimaster-c
Scavenger

Postby AaylaSecurasMan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:07 pm

My suggestion is with regards to case assortments (or case filllers)

1. Pack x2 ALL NEW figures in a wave, so if a wave has 4-6 new figures, there, you only have 4 or 2 slots for case fillers
2. DO NOT use case fillers of waves recently released, wait at least 3 waves/cases before you use the previous waves' figures (case in point TPM wave, was repacked in the following wave (deleted scenes and Malgus wave), wait until most pegwarmers are gone before using them as case fillers.
3. Alternate army builders between cases from OT and PT (i.e. use a stormie, biker scout, snowtrooper in one assortment, then use a clone, battle droid in the next one)
4. STOP using 10 year old molds
Che la forza è con voi
AaylaSecurasMan
Senator

Postby YAK_Xizor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Hasbro seems to have come full circle.... way back in the day we were ALL griping about case distribution and store distribution and region distribution. In Walking down the toy aisle at a target the other night I looked at the sad state of the section. The Obvious big push right now is the "Fighter Pods". Cute concept but not what collectors are looking for. We want new figures we haven't seen or figures that didn't see in initial releases. The Problem is three fold....

1) Too many lines running....

Clone Wars, Movie Heroes and Vintage all suck up the limited space available in the toy aisles currently. slow moving figures from all three lines tend to clog up the limited pegs and slow reorders of newer waves of figures. There are enough Super Battle Droidds around here to melt down and mold an army of 12" scale Super Battle Droids.

2) The abuse of the Vintage line....

Look, when the wintage first came out and they were limited and in "clam" shells, we were willing to shell out a few extra bucks for these. We had what, 12 a year for the first couple of go arounds? Then someone thought it would be a good idea to full on blow it up and put everything on a vintage card. I guess I'm a purist, I loved the thought of the vintage because that's what I grew up with, but now.... I won't buy any prequel figures on a vintage card. It's just lost the luster.......

3) A lack of Movies to drive sales......

Let's face it.... The Clone Wars is cool, but it's really only cool for the time it is on the air. The movies drove figure sales originally and while the 3D versions will give them a boost, it's not like a new movie release. You can see this reflected in the store aisles now....

So what fixes this? You can attack each point and have a decent fix. Here's how....

1) Are three lines too many? All at once, Yes! Clone wars... You know when the TV season starts... take the three to four weeks proir and start releasing figures for the upcoming season. Limit the number of waves to say three... If you have a 20-25 episode season release three weeks prior..... then follow 6 weeks later (week 3 of the season) and 6 weeks after that (week 9) that gives you 12 or so weeks to the end of the season for sell through. Once the Clone wars season has ended then release vintage. Limit to 4 or 5 firgure waves and 3 waves max.Maybe use the vintage line to celebrate Anniversary years. As someone else stated 2 each new figures per case for limited carry over. Use the movie Heroes to cover the full year ( so you really only hae 2 lines running at one time) Then concentrate on movies per year (I and IV.... II and V.... III and VI) so you run in a 3 year cycle. That way you hit younger and older fans alike.

2) What I discussed above fixes the abuse of the Vintage Line. Make it Special once again. Don't water it down. Use it for the Anniversary years and really do up the figures right. Good pack ins, cloth goods... the works. Justify the price point to us!

3) Really concentrate on lining up the releases. Get behind the new seasons of The Clone Wars in a timely manner. If the 3D releases continue hit them quick and move on like Episode I did in it's rerelease. Keep the toy aisle refreshed. Get consumer input.... walk the aisles at retailers in different parts fo the country.

I know that's a lot to swallow, but we have been down this road with Hasbro before. The righted the ship once, they can do it again!
Indy Knights Past President '04-'06
"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"--Rush
Just What is "Vintage"?
YAK_Xizor
Forum Admin

Postby Paulskywalker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:06 am

How about new Ree Yees and Tessek figures?
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby CloneCrazy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:54 am

Stop repacking figures from the '90s and making the toy aisle look like night of the living dead. I thought these sculpts died ten years ago, they won't stay dead!!! I realize the Clone Wars' ratings have slipped, but it is still what is driving enthusiasm for the Star Wars brand. Hasbro has to realize that 19 single carded figures and 1 battle pack is simply not enough, especially when half of the products are repacks. Kids still want to get their favorite characters (who may not be Anakin!). I have a rather annoying habit of talking to people in the SW aisle, including kids, who tell me their favorite characters include: Fives, Commander Stone (who they could never find), Ahsoka (who they could never find), Mother Talzin, Savage Oppress (they want the armored version) and many others who they would buy.

Next, Hasbro has to bring back the clever repaints which collectors and kids loved. It was a win for both you and consumer, Hasbro got to save money on sculpting and collectors received cool new characters.

Come on Hasbro, make some money off of me!!!
Star Wars The Clone Wars Shroud of Darkness Photonovel

http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=7404
CloneCrazy
Scavenger

Postby Paulskywalker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:04 am

It is kind of funny that a lot of us have resorted to begging Hasbro to take are money!! :lol:
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:46 am

How about a Chancellor or Emperor Palpatine in a basic Legends line? There hasn't been a basic-carded Emperor(not Sidious) in several years, not since I believe the BD39 "Clive Revill Hologram" Emperor figure in the Legacy Collection. The Emperor or another version of Palpatine would have been a no-brainer for Movie Heroes but Hasbro was apparently tripping on the Stupid 'Shrooms and thought otherwise. After all, wasn't a Clone Trooper with a flying jetpack with pop-out wings a major character in all three prequels as well as the complete STAR WARS saga? :roll:
"We lived through another day... it's a good excuse to celebrate."

-Soul Asylum, "Can't Even Tell"(1994)
DarthEddie
Sith Lord

Postby Grimace » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 am

aside from character selection, my biggest problem is that the MH and CW cards are almost identical

back in 2008, when the CW line was first introduced and the cards were very similar to the SL line, I remember lots of complaining about the cards for each line looking too much alike

now the matter is even worse!

different lines should have different looks!
99%
Grimace
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby DarthEddie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:28 am

I agree. I'm a collector who actually kinda likes the 2012 Darth Maul packaging scheme, but why is it being used for everything with the sole exception of the Vintage Collection? The similarities between MH and CW packaging have confused a whole lot of adults as well as kids over the past few months and there needed to be more differences in the cards. At least with the 2010 and 2011 Saga Legends and Clone Wars figures you had color-coded stripes running along the top right hand side of the packaging along with big photos or artwork of the character so you could tell if it was a movie or animated figure before you ever slid it off the peg for a closer look. Hasbro should have stuck to that idea and put something on the top of the card that could tell you if it's a MH or CW figure without having to take it off. Sometimes you end up knocking half a dozen figures onto the floor of the action figure aisle when you have to yank something off for a closer look. Color coded stripes would have been a nice carryover from 2010 and 2011.
"We lived through another day... it's a good excuse to celebrate."

-Soul Asylum, "Can't Even Tell"(1994)
DarthEddie
Sith Lord

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:32 am

My suggestion is Hasbro to win back the fans you lost last year and the year before (Me being one of them, however some of the Vintage Collection are bring me slowly back into Star Wars).

1) Bring out the EU figures you should have brought out and I mean proper EU figures from the Marvel Star Wars Comics (Jaxxon for example always comes in the Top 5 and you still have'nt released him yet), and the Dark Horse comics and Novels (Hell you seem to be able to do skinny ankles on the Clone Wars figures but you couldn't do them on SOTE Leia from her comic pack, shame on you).

2) I appreciate the fact you bring out older figures, however if you are doing this we want the best examples of the figures out there not stuff we passed on the 2nd time let alone the 25th time of release.

3) Also my one gripe your figures really don't justify the price hike (I mean some of the Vintage ones do), but on the whole the price hike really doesn't justify a repacked figure that you could have gotten for 4.50 the first time around.
Last edited by Michael on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Nerf Herder

Postby DarthDaddy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:50 am

YAK_Chewie wrote:This thread is intended to be a place for Yakface forum members to compile ideas for Hasbro, suggestions, etc. Since the QnA's are dead, and Hasbro is keeping an eye on the forums, let's see if this gets us anywhere (doubtful, but at the very least it's fun to come up with ideas for Hasbro).

For starters, Hasbro has really dropped the bomb on Legends/Movie Heroes this year. Not so much with the character selection, but the actual FIGURE choices are very cheap and weak overall. There's a few cool figures, and even some new sculpts sprinkled in, but overall, it's bad. And we all know that this stuff really doesn't seem to be moving.

Here's some ideas that I have for how Movie Heroes could have been approached this year... the 12 figures shown are just examples of good versions of characters that they really should get back in the mix... and Hasbro needs to realize that this line needs to ALSO appeal to collectors. With rising prices we're expected to pay, Hasbro absolutely should NOT be throwing junk into these... they need to appeal to both young and older markets!

Wave 1
1 - Obi Wan (light up saber)
2 - Qui Gon (light up saber)
3 - Darth Maul (light up saber)
4 - Jar Jar Binks
5 - Padme Amidala (battle outfit)
6 - Anakin Skywalker (with jet/backpack thing)
7 - Battle Droid (2-pk - tan)
8 - Stormtrooper (Tantive IV Battle Pack repack)
9 - Princess Leia (VOTC ANH repack)
10 - Han Solo (VOTC repack)
11 - C-3PO (B.A.D. repack - painted gold)
12 - Vong Warrior (Comic Pack repack)

Wave 2
1 - Darth Vader (light up saber)
2 - Luke Skywalker (light up saber, ESB)
3 - Obi Wan Kenobi (light up saber, ANH)
4 - General Grievous (Legacy repack)
5 - Magna Guard (TVC repack)
6 - Clone Trooper (Evolutions AOTC repack)
7 - Yoda (VOTC repack)
8 - Galactic Marine (TAC repack)
9 - Ki Adi Mundi (ROTS repack)
10 - Galen Marek (Evolutions Raxus Prime repack)
11 - Shaak Ti (TFU Legacy repack)
12 - K'Kruhk (Legacy repack)

Wave 3
1 - Darth Sidious (light up saber)
2 - Mace Windu (light up saber)
3 - Jango Fett (Evolutions repack)
4 - Clone Trooper (ROTS #41 mold)
5 - Battle Droid (2-pk - Kashyyyk camo)
6 - Kashyyyk Clone Trooper (TAC repack)
7 - Imperial Snowtrooper (VOTC repack)
8 - Hoth Rebel Officer (TVC repack)
9 - Snowspeeder Luke (Legacy repack)
10 - Darth Nihilus (Evolutions repack)
11 - Jaina Solo (Legacy repack)
12 - Jacen Solo (Legacy repack)

Thoughts? How would everyone else approach this? What other ideas do you have for playsets, battle packs, etc.?

:wink:

Great choices and well said. Reissuing some of the rare cantina figures would be cool too.
DarthDaddy
Droid

Next

Return to General Hasbro Discussion