Image Image Image Image Image

Hasbro Suggestion Thread

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Re: Hasbro Suggestion Thread

Postby DarthEddie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:46 pm

It's a list of surefire winners, or at least figures that enough grown collectors and fans would love to see again to justify releasing many of them. Really, it's hard to find a character on that rundown that wouldn't be popular with a good many of us and it would reintroduce some characters and aliens that haven't been seen at retail since the end of the last decade.
"We lived through another day... it's a good excuse to celebrate."

-Soul Asylum, "Can't Even Tell"(1994)
Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Well, I'd hope that they were all surefire winners. These are Star Wars figures, after all!

But YAK_Chewie is responding to the idea that Hasbro is running out of material. The waves that he proposes are good, but half lack a new character. How long would we be happy if most waves were all resculpts and repacks?
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:28 pm

I had originally posted that list before responding to the low material thing... Give me a bit of time and I'll create another list... I think there's gobs of upgrades, repacks and all new characters that would go over well. Sure, no list will appeal to EVERYONE, but I think I can come up with a sweet wish list...

:wink:
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:38 pm

Sadly not all Star Wars figures are surefire winners as we've seen over the years but I think most of them that were listed have the potential to get collectors and even many kids excited. At this point and with the current state of retail where both grown collectors and kids yawn every time they walk past the Star Wars pegs almost any infusion of new product would be a welcome change even if some of them flopped in the long run. Not every character can be a hit.

Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Pondered this for a bit last night. I think that Hasbro wants to have new figures in each wave, which I totally support and believe that most collectors similarly want. So let me suggest the following modifications to YC's list.

Incidentally, I'm assuming that the first two Black Series waves would have happened just the way they did, since Hasbro wanted to use the work that had gone into supporting a movie that wound up not seeing very wide release. The first of these waves would hit when the Plagueis wave first arrived in very late 2013, with a new wave every two months or so. My changes should be in a different font color. Mind you, I said "should".

Wave One 3.75 Basic Figures
- Heir to Empire Luke Skywalker (new) X 2
- Mara Jade (new - assume you mean TBS carry forward) x 2
- Noghri Warrior (new) x 2
- Republic Trooper (TVC) x 2
- Darth Plagueis (TBS) X 2
- Pablo Jill (TBS - carry forward) x 2

Wave Two 3.75 Basic Figures
- Vizam (TBS) x2
- Imperial Stormtrooper (TVC Sandtrooper sculpt, very light black wash) x 2
- Rebel Fleet Trooper (TVC new head sculpt) x 2
- Ponda Baba (TVC) x 2
- Tikkes (can use head sculpt from Tessek or the Quarren Warrior) replacing Battle Droid 2-pk (ROTS sculpt, red paint) x 2
- Mace Windu (TBS) replacing Padme Amidala (TBS) x 2

Wave Three 3.75 Basic Figures
- Han Solo Bespin (TVC) x 2
- Gamorrean Guard (TVC) x 2
- Vedain/Taym Dren-Garen/Shasa Thiel - any one of Jabba's never-before-made goons will do (new) replacing Bib Fortuna (new) x 2
- Emperor Palpatine (new) x 2
- Merumeru (TBS) x 2
- Clone Commander Neyo (TBS) x 2

Wave Four 3.75 Basic Figures
- X-Wing Luke (new sculpt) x 2
- Princess Leia (ANH, Legacy ESB white gown, new head) x 2
- Ree Yees (TBS) x 2
- Jabba's Skiff Guard/Doallyn (TBS) x2
- Darth Vader (TBS #26) x 2
- Luminara Unduli (TBS carry forward) x 2

Wave Five 3.75 Basic Figures
- Dagobah Luke (TBS) x 2
- Dabobah Yoda (TBS) x 2
- Starkiller (TVC) x 2
- Darth Malgus (TVC) x 2
- R5-G19 (TBS) replacing Scout Trooper (TBS - battle damage) x 2
- Wedge Antilles (TBS) x 2
- Dak Raltar (TBS) x 0

Wave Six 3.75 Basic Figures
- Toryn Farr (TBS) x 2
- Snowtrooper Commander (TBS) x 2
- Hoth Rebel Soldier (TVC) x 2
- Dak Raltar (TBS) replacing Grand Moff Tarkin (TVC w/ plastic tunic) x 2
- Bastila Shan (TVC) x 2
- Luke Skywalker (Hoth) (TBS) replacing Clone Trooper (TVC #45 sculpt, new properly sized ROTS helmet) x 2

The issue with these changes is that you lose some army builders. But, new characters in every wave!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Those idea are great Kalsh!

My original list also was just an alternative approach for TBS. That post was made in a different thread here a few weeks back.

I will start on another list before too long, a couple ideas for ESB, for example, are the obscure aliens on Bespin - I think Hasbro should consider those. And also re-release the TVC Hoth Rebel, give us a new Bespin Escape Leia, a new ESB Lando (upgrade from the 2004 VOTC one), some sort of Imperial Officers 3-pk with a new Ozzel, Piett and Veers, etc. Maybe the Imperial Officers set could include a new Imperial astromech.. and parallel a Rebels set or something as exclusives at TRU... and a new Probe Droid, new Wampa... thinking some more here... B.A.D. C-3PO would be good... even B.A.D. R-3PO... new Lobot, or is he too goofy to make a new one? Hmmm...

:wink:
Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Good suggestions, YAK Chewie. Always down with new aliens, and ones from Bespin would really help flesh out a scene with ICMG.

Bespin Lando seems like a figure that would sell - if I remember correctly, he was kind of tough to find during the POTJ era. And Hasbro could reuse the noggin from TVC's General Lando to save on tooling costs.

Bespin Leia - there are even fewer of her than of Endor Poncho Leia, so I'd be happy purchasing her.

A new Lobot is where I start to get agitated since I already have two modern versions and would prefer to see new tooling devoted to a figure for a never-before-made character. He isn't even difficult to get - the OTC version can be bought for under $12 on eBay as I type this. Could he use a SA version? Sure. Would I prefer to see a different character given the SA treatment? Absolutely.

New Probot or Wampa - I could find a place for either in a scene, but neither really gets my toes a-tapping. Also, Hasbro seems to be leaving the $15 price point alone for Star Wars figures. They haven't released anything around that price point since the mini-rig/figure sets from the ill-fated Yoda packaging line, right?

Imperial Officer set: To begin with, you're just trying to buy my love by including a new astromech. I well might cry hot, salty tears of joy when the one hundredth unique astromech is released. And the count is over 80 the way I calculate things. The officers themselves seem like something that Hasbro would consider. The K-Mart officer/stormtrooper sets are a recent precedent of Hasbro working with this type of character. Going farther back, there was the Death Star Conference Room set. (Which was awesome. Even though the plastic versions of characters that were only seen sitting lacked knee joints, I was so excited about getting that set. We got Chief Bast. And Officer Cass! As named figures!) An Imperial officer set seems doable. Maybe we only get two of the three officers you listed plus a stormtrooper and a new astromech, but that would be a good set.

Would it be a great set? In some ways, it seems comparable to the Yavin Pilots set, which had three similar-looking figures, an astromech, and an Imperial army builder. It would be nice to know how Hasbro and Toys R Us felt about that set, especially since its companion Ewok set seemed to sell much, much better. If Hasbro ever takes advice from this forum, it would be good to be touting the next Ewok pack. Not the next Reveal the Rebels.
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:51 pm

I think a new Lobot was already in the works at the time the Vintage Collection stopped and was put into hibernation. A good friend at another collecting website saw a list of some of the figures in development at Hasbro around the time of the Disney buyout of Lucasfilm and the launch of the Black Series and apparently a new, super-articulated Lobot was one of the new 3.75" figures under development for a future release even though we haven't seen him yet.

Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:51 am

Makes sense since Hasbro said that they wanted to recreate every last actual Vintage figure on the Vintage cardback. (They did say that, right?) If this Lobot happens, I suppose that I can send action-pose Lobot to the Outlander club to rock his puffy '70's ensemble. Disco will never die!
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:14 am

Groovy, man. Groovy to the max. :D

darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 am

Kalsh wrote:Makes sense since Hasbro said that they wanted to recreate every last actual Vintage figure on the Vintage cardback. (They did say that, right?) If this Lobot happens, I suppose that I can send action-pose Lobot to the Outlander club to rock his puffy '70's ensemble. Disco will never die!

I think they said something like, "it would be nice to...", but no guarantee or timetable. I just want Sim Aloo the Imperial Dignitary already, its the last major Kenner figure not to be resculpted.
Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:34 am

darth_sidious wrote: I think they said something like, "it would be nice to...", but no guarantee or timetable. I just want Sim Aloo the Imperial Dignitary already, its the last major Kenner figure not to be resculpted.

In my darker moments, I've speculated that Hasbro would release Sim Aloo as the final figure. Kind of a farewell for the really, really long-term, hardcore action figure fans. And at that point, who cares if he peg warms?

With Disney buying Star Wars, it seems most likely that this final figure would occur due to a license change rather than the total cessation of the 3.75" Star Wars figure line. Either way, I hope that I'm wrong about this final figure thing, and that we learn later this month that the purple-robed ghoul is on his way.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:41 am

I think if Hasbro would have just offered two new figures per wave, and just repacked in-demand TVC figures otherwise, the Black Series would have been a major success. I think they could only offer EU figures they already had sculpts for, so this would have been an easy opportunity to offer the Repubilc Trooper, the female bounty hunter, Ashoka, and even comic pack figures if the mold still exist.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:05 pm

Yes, but that would require the suits currently running the license to have the same basic idea of what we'll buy and won't buy as we do, and they clearly don't based on more than a few of the case ratios and wave assortments since The Black Series first launched. Collectors don't always pick the best figures ourselves, but we have a much better idea of what we want to see on retail pegs than the people currently in charge at Hasbro.

Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:57 pm

So what you're saying is we should carry Biggs forward in the next 6 waves?
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!

Return to “General Hasbro Discussion”