Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

By Jedimaster-c
Walmarts at least in my area have really given up on Star Wars. Thestore closest to me haven't restock Transformers or the Black series and no is cannibalized by Bayblade crap. Oh, the have a VC Qi Gon and a few Clone wars figures from last year.
By Raylen
Spider001 wrote:The stores simply DO NOT stock action figures properly. I gave up! I never find anything anymore. The stores are completely useless. The only things I can find are the crap nobody else wants.

Absolutely. However, the stores deal with LOTS of merchandise that
A) has nothing to do with toys,
B) lots of toys that are not Star Wars, and
C) toy lines that ARE handled properly.

No one at Walmart is looking at a certain wave and saying "hmmm, these aren't the best figure choices". They simply say, "Are SW figures selling?" All Hasbro's worried about are whether the larger retailers will buy what they are making. And as long as they are buying ENOUGH of Hasbro's stuff, they aren't inclined to change for the betterment of the individual customers. The customers could completely stop buying figures entirely and if retailers were foolish enough to keep buying cases of figures, Hasbro would be happy. WE are not the customer in their eyes. The big retailers are.
By DarthEddie
YAK_Chewie wrote:
Paulskywalker wrote:There is nout wrong with Angry Birds in my view, just there is a lot of it on the shelves.

Yeah - I think Hasbro's happy because the retailers ordered a lot - which is money in their pocket up front... but doesn't mean they are going to continue to order this stuff.

:wink:

If they want to make Angry Birds and it makes them a few extra bucks they can redirect into the action figure lines, more power to them. I'm on record as a big fan of the app game and I really enjoy playing it, but when the chintzy little toys take up valuable shelf and peg space that could be used for 3.75" Hasbro action figure product then that's not a good thing.

Not every fad and electronic distraction needs to be supplemented by tie-in plastic toys, especially when they hog the retail space that until recently was the domain of the much more adult- and collector-oriented action figure lines.
By Spider001
Everywhere I go everything is well stocked except action figures. There's nothing but empty pegboard where the action figures belong. And it takes months for them to get 1 case in. I mostly collect Transformers & my Walmart only gets 1 case every 3 or 4 months. I go in there every week for groceries & the action figure aisle is like a photograph, frozen in time, it never changes. Week after week after week they just don't bother with it. It's like they don't even know they have an action figure section.

Sometimes I feel like finding the store manager & saying "LOOK! You have an action figure section! See the empty pegs? It's always like this. Your customers don't have a damned thing to purchase. It's December! You know what that means? X-Mas! People buy toys for X-Mas. But you never have any. WTF is wrong with you dumbass? Do your job! STOCK YOUR DAMNED STORE!"
By Raylen
Spider001 wrote:Everywhere I go everything is well stocked except action figures. There's nothing but empty pegboard where the action figures belong. And it takes months for them to get 1 case in. I mostly collect Transformers & my Walmart only gets 1 case every 3 or 4 months. I go in there every week for groceries & the action figure aisle is like a photograph, frozen in time, it never changes. Week after week after week they just don't bother with it. It's like they don't even know they have an action figure section.

Sometimes I feel like finding the store manager & saying "LOOK! You have an action figure section! See the empty pegs? It's always like this. Your customers don't have a damned thing to purchase. It's December! You know what that means? X-Mas! People buy toys for X-Mas. But you never have any. WTF is wrong with you dumbass? Do your job! STOCK YOUR DAMNED STORE!"

I've said similiar things myself and I always get the same response. They don't order shipments at store level. They get what they're sent.
By DarthEddie
Maybe some nice surprises will surface and Wave 2 of both the 3.75" and 6" Black Series lines will be on my local pegs and shelves before Christmas, but I'm not going to count on it. Even if brand new, fresh product hit right now it's just five days until Christmas Eve and it'd be tough to find something brand new and cool this close to the Holiday even if restocking were going at something approaching an ideal pace.
By OC47150
My purchases of new SW figures has been few this year. Within the last month, I bought the six-inch Han, mission series Vader (for the seeker droid) and the $5 Obi-Wan to customize. Other than that, very few of these figures have excited me. IMO, Hasbro has made poor choices in what figures have been released. A six-month gap of no new figures doesn't help, either. Distribution and overstock continues to be a problem. I can walk into a half-dozen stores today and still find TPM figures on the pegs. Not all of them, but some.

After 18 years of collection, I still love the thrill of going out on the hunt. My big yearly hunt is this weekend. But in the last year, I've been frequenting the discount stores (TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning, Marshalls) more often and finding figures. Hey, I found the vintage Captain Fordo figure for $5! I also buy from these places for customizing. I feel better paying $5 for a figure that's gonna be parted out or painted.

Within two years, with the release of the new movie, the tide should shift. SHOULD. Guess we just have to wait it out.
By Raylen
OC47150 wrote:Within two years, with the release of the new movie, the tide should shift. SHOULD. Guess we just have to wait it out.

My concern is they will once again OVER produce figures, especially the first wave, and itll be TPM all over again. I have completely lost faith in Hasbro to make good decisions and handling the line in general.
By DarthEddie
Who know who the suits making the decisions for 2015-16 product will be. Probably many of the same people, but with Lucasfilm and Disney so heavily invested in making the new film's merchandise line a runaway success without controversy maybe they'll hold Hasbro's and the retailers' feet to the fire about not screwing up the new toys and other products. Episode VII will be an immensely bigger investment than Episode I 3-D was and I can't imagine anyone wanting to take that kind of a hit again, not with the first new live-action Star Wars film in over a decade.

Then again, who thought Hasbro would be demonstrating as much incompetence with the brand as they already have?
By YAK_Chewie

^ So I walk into a Five Below yesterday, and see at least 8 more cases of the Malgus wave overflowing on a front display... I only see one Malgus, and counted 8 Navy Commanders, which is why I know they had at least 8 cases... which means, what... over FIFTY more TPM pegwarmers this store is getting? And I'm sure it's not just this one store that got these in. I bet a lot of stores did.

Before I went jumping for joy here, I took into account that this Five Below is just going to be stuck with these carry forwards (they have at least a few dozen TPM carry forwards on their back wall from the last time they got in the Malgus wave, back in October)... and you know what this also did? It kept me from buying any NEW stuff at Target next store. I was planning on saying screw it, and buying a $10 black series figure for the hell of it. That changed when I saw more good $5 figures at Five Below.

This particular Five Below store is right next to a Target. I bet I've bought at least 50 figures from this Five Below over the past year, mostly for custom fodder - and ZERO from that Target ALL YEAR. Why buy from Target for $10 each when I can get amazing figures for half that price right next to them? All these discount figures from 2012 hitting various discount stores has also got to be hurting the new product sales at the big box retailers... right?

...especially when you consider people like me who buy tons of extras for customs... I think Hasbro underestimates the buying power of people like myself who purchase a lot more for customs and extras. But I don't do that now with $10 figures when I can get them for $5 at places like Five Below.

:wink:
By DarthEddie
Between Hasbro and the big box retailers who won't reorder and restock anything new, it's a wonder the hobby is even still alive.
By darthcrassus
DarthEddie wrote:Between Hasbro and the big box retailers who won't reorder and restock anything new, it's a wonder the hobby is even still alive.

Oh, it's alive. It's an awesome time actually given all of the deals. The prices on Amazon are incredible. I'm a bit more worried about the longer term and if we'll get good character selections in future waves.
By DarthEddie
That, too! They said at one point that we're getting a Yavin Medal Bearer figure from the end of A New Hope but the question is when. Figures have been delayed or even cancelled before, so who knows. Anything past Wave 4 (Dagobah Yoda and Luke, Toryn Farr) is conjectural and unconfirmed at best and sometimes we don't know about new figures until just before the first official images leak out.

Variety and quality still matter and if the Black Series is going to last more than a handful of waves we'll need more exciting characters aimed at collectors. Half a dozen more Clone repaints might be fairly easy sellers but they're not necessarily going to generate much excitement, and energy and enthusiasm are what the hobby needs.
By DarthEddie
There might be a Tuesday Morning show within an hour's drive (not sure, though), but the nearest Five Below is just way, way too far to drive even for some $5 Imperial Navy Commanders.
I make stuff too!

Here's a group shot I took over the weekend; every[…]

The 16th Trial: Caverns of Death

Thanks for the preview feedback, might be able to […]

received my Klaatu figures from Hasbro Pulse today[…]

I agree she goes better with the theme. But I'm g[…]

TVC Skiff guard 3-pack

I only need Vedain out of this set, but I'm excit[…]

TVC 2019 Discussion

If they offer solid cases of the Stormtrooper, I g[…]

Retro Vintage Figures

These look fun. I have a lot of Vintage figures, […]