Where does the hobby go from here?

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Re: Where does the hobby go from here?

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:46 am

I'm fine with Hasbro trying to reach the girl market this way. If that's their way of getting our daughters interested in something we dads love, I'm all for it. Granted, I'm thinking that with the way culture wants to be gender-neutral with toys, why can't the regular lines with figures that actually look like they are from the movies (and not stylized) work for both boys and girls? Plus, I'm just surprised by the amount of articulation.
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 pm

And the announcement of new protocol droids BADs at Disney theme parks! And a sandcrawler with gonk droid!! Hopefully these will be out when I'm there. I'm going to go crazy with these and customize a few as well.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon May 01, 2017 7:56 pm

So as we know, good news as TVC returns in 2018, and the Disney exclusive stuff is pretty killer.

As for TBS, I think this line is having major problems in both scales. All is not well with TBS.

Everywhere I go, it's Jyn and Cassian galore in the 6" scale, to the point where that's all some stores have at all... overstock spilling off the pegs or above on risers. Even at $10, the market is DONE with these figures. Hasbro went massively overboard with their production. They need to get these pulled from the pegs to make room for later waves or we're going to see entire waves skipped until Force Friday.

Here's a pic from my local Walmart... they all look like this...

...and TBS 3.75"... Finn, Leia and Han galore... this is all Hasbro's fault.

Finn - Overproduced, carried forward when he shouldn't have, and the assembly on the figure sucks - if it were a normal torso, then customizers would be gobbling this figure up. Get it together, Hasbro. No wonder there is talk that his action figure presence for EP8 will be massively reduced.

Han - They made him in an obscure outfit (terrible decision) and quality control went out the window with the paint apps.

Leia - Same issue with Han.

It's no wonder TVC is coming back - does anyone actually think Walmart wanted to continue this trainwreck? Even if they didn't have their distribution woes, what Hasbro did with this line royally screwed their retail partner.

I have a feeling we'll be lucky to even find whatever EP8 TBS figures are planned this Fall for Walmart - some stores will get them, others not at all.

:roll:
Diddly
Cantina Bartender

Postby Diddly » Tue May 02, 2017 8:26 am

OMG I would KILL for that kind of selection at my local stores lol. Okay not really, but I do want to grab some Finns and Poes to try and make Poe in the jacket from the beginning of TFA.

I have three Walmarts in my general area, two are Supercenters and the other a VERY tiny "regular" WM. The smaller one has one aisle for boys toys, and one for girls toys. Naturally, LEGO takes up half of that aisle, leaving other toylines to fight for the rest of the space. Marvel, Power Rangers, WWE, and Star Wars have had the same figures lingering on the pegs for months, and with only one peg dedicated to each line, there are restocks about once a year. One of the Supercenters is alright, not much selection, but I've had good scores there in the past.

The second Supercenter is legit the worst Walmart I've ever been to. The managers are awful and never restock anything. Not just toys, but automotive supplies, sporting goods, etc. Have you ever been to a Walmart that has had footballs and basketballs out of stock for months? What about oil for your car? The toy section is even worse, as most of the toy lines are never stocked. Star Wars, for example, has ZERO FIGURES AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE, so unless you want one of those cheap Lightsabers or enjoy looking at rows of completely empty shelves and pegs, there is no reason to ever go into this store.

Don't even get me started on Target and TRU... I feel like I live in some sort of black hole where everyone is finding stuff in stores, and I've had to resort to buying most of my toys online since TFA. And with the constant declining quality with Hasbro figures, is it any wonder people are importing more Bandai and Medicom figures, or hopping over to LEGO, which has given us Lor San Tekka, General Leia, etc., AND has retailers constantly offering sales and deals to get rid of clunker sets?

BTW last I checked, 6 inch Cassian was down to $3.97 on Amazon... I think that is enough for that awful figure to dethrone Finn and Zuvio as King of the Pegwarmers.
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 am

Same problem here. I bought the WM Phasma for $20 from an online seller cause there was no sign of that wave months after it supposedly hit. Then close to this Christmas, all my WMs got swamped with that wave. Now they're warming the pegs everywhere! Even at the discount they can't move the Han and Leia and of course Finn. The Han and Leia are crap figures. They would have moved if they had at least been in their primary outfits! I would like to have picked up an extra Poe for customs but he disappeared right before the price dropped. I was lusky to get Cassian and two Scarif Troopers online when they first hit and if discounted, would grab a few more. But alas....I've never seen them and might never see them at this rate. Then again, if they ever get rid of this glut of Han/Leia/Finn selection, MAYBE I'll see them THIS Christmas!!!

I have about 5 WMs in my area. The nearest is a smaller one. They're selection can be odd. They got literally ONE case of Rogue One 6" figures since the movie hit. The next closest is an even smaller store yet (Like their DVD section is only 8 feet long on one shelf!) Surprisingly, I've had perhaps the most luck here repeatedly finding new figures. The larger WM near me that I frequent the most is often the absolute worst with getting new product in. The next two closest are a little more outta my general range and its hit or miss at those the few times I'm in the area. The first time I saw a Han and Leia TBS was at one of those. They had so much stock of TBS that the pegs were overflowing and the overhead was filled 10 figures high. While the other stores had next to nothing, this one store could have filled all five in the area no problem. Its mind boggling. We can all be thankful that when the VC returns it will not be exclusive.
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Tue May 02, 2017 1:52 pm

After seeing the two fresh cases of TFA last night at Edwardsville Walmart, I think the VERY apparent problem stems from two issues.

First, is bad forecasting. It's quite apparent that a lot of people will want these figures, especially given they're the only articulated new releases on the market. However, the folks at Hasbro greatly overestimate the demand for some figures. Stormtroopers and other army builders will always move, without fail. Unfortunately, when the pegs are full of Finn, and Han and Leia in obscure outfits, then it's quite apparent the amount of figures produced were significantly over the what public demand actually was. This has been a perpetual issue with carry forwards as well. That leads to numerous issues, including poor future distribution of later waves, etc.

Second, with the future in mind, sustainability and good stewardship of the line becomes an issue. Just because Walmart wants to place an order for X amount of figures once, and Hasbro can instantly profit from those numbers, doesn't mean they should jump the gun. If Hasbro and Walmart had any indication of how long this line would last exclusive to this retailer, then perhaps it would have been wiser to limit the amount of figures produced per wave (and were therefor purchasable) and look at the bigger picture. I understand that initial money grab, and if you can sell it then you should, but this line has lasted decades at this point. There is no real known indication that it would suddenly fail. The stewardship aspect really gets me because the pegs are clogged and that could have been easily avoided.

With this, Hasbro could have guided Walmart to purchase few figures all at once, but more overtime. If the pegs continually refresh with new product (in a timely fashion), then Walmart would have seen higher sales numbers in the long run and the line would have lasted longer at full price. Instead, at every single Walmart around here, we're looking at 6-8 pegs FULL of TFA wave, on rollback, with no relief in sight. Had the long run been looked at, I think the line would have lasted longer in this format, and the vintage line wouldn't even be needed.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of August/20/17: Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 1!
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Tue May 02, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm kind of wondering if B&M has soured on 6" figures. They can't move the stock, er pegwarmers, they have and nothing new is coming in. When Targets were supposed to be getting aisle shippers last month that had Chirrut and Baze, none of the St. Louis "city" stores got any. The suburb ones got them, though. And I did some looking for 40th stuff. Of course, the stuff I saw and couldn't buy because I had family in tow is now gone with no apparent restock in sight. It's a bit frustrating. Target seems to get some restock, Walmart is stagnant (though I was lucky to get the Rogue One figures at one store or online), and TRU is full of Star Wars stuff that will never move.
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Jodo- It's kind of like how I joked with you and Chewie about this wave showing up again is like The Last Jedi figures leaking (Kylo, Phasma and Trooper) with some "Classic" Force Awaken figures thrown in.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 pm

I know. :lol: The sad truth of it is the timing though. If the Cas and Shoretrooper figures would have hit retail at RO's Bluray release date, then the TFA figures for TLJ, at least they would have been relevant to the content being put out by Disney. :lol: :|
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of August/20/17: Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 1!
StooperZero
Teras Kasi

Postby StooperZero » Tue May 02, 2017 2:37 pm

I live in a nightmare world where the only numbers that exist are 22 and 23 .

all the WM's around me , even ones a little out of the way ( dirty benner pike one still stocking TFA) . Please explain how i get the Vader legacy set BUT never saw anything that was supposed to ship in december????
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue May 02, 2017 7:18 pm

StooperZero wrote:I live in a nightmare world where the only numbers that exist are 22 and 23 .

LOL!

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Jodo wrote:After seeing the two fresh cases of TFA last night at Edwardsville Walmart, I think the VERY apparent problem stems from two issues.

First, is bad forecasting. It's quite apparent that a lot of people will want these figures, especially given they're the only articulated new releases on the market. However, the folks at Hasbro greatly overestimate the demand for some figures. Stormtroopers and other army builders will always move, without fail. Unfortunately, when the pegs are full of Finn, and Han and Leia in obscure outfits, then it's quite apparent the amount of figures produced were significantly over the what public demand actually was. This has been a perpetual issue with carry forwards as well. That leads to numerous issues, including poor future distribution of later waves, etc.

Second, with the future in mind, sustainability and good stewardship of the line becomes an issue. Just because Walmart wants to place an order for X amount of figures once, and Hasbro can instantly profit from those numbers, doesn't mean they should jump the gun. If Hasbro and Walmart had any indication of how long this line would last exclusive to this retailer, then perhaps it would have been wiser to limit the amount of figures produced per wave (and were therefor purchasable) and look at the bigger picture. I understand that initial money grab, and if you can sell it then you should, but this line has lasted decades at this point. There is no real known indication that it would suddenly fail. The stewardship aspect really gets me because the pegs are clogged and that could have been easily avoided.

With this, Hasbro could have guided Walmart to purchase few figures all at once, but more overtime. If the pegs continually refresh with new product (in a timely fashion), then Walmart would have seen higher sales numbers in the long run and the line would have lasted longer at full price. Instead, at every single Walmart around here, we're looking at 6-8 pegs FULL of TFA wave, on rollback, with no relief in sight. Had the long run been looked at, I think the line would have lasted longer in this format, and the vintage line wouldn't even be needed.

Oh, completely agree. Hasbro has done this several times over the years, and NEVER LEARNS. For some reason they completely forget the lessons of the past. It's unbelievable. Any other brand treated this badly would fail miserably... I've said it countless times over the past 20 years - some of the people working at Hasbro should be fired and replaced by people with more common sense. They are always looking to "make a quick buck" and very seldom look at the "big picture" with the line.

I think we could go on and on - the examples seem to be never ending illustrating how inept this people have proven to be time and time again.

I mean... if they can't figure out how to makea no-brainer like GI JOE work, they really don't understand the action figure market anymore. I almost cringe thinking about their upcoming "Hasbro Universe" - yikes.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue May 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Oh, and vintage is coming back mostly because Hasbro and Walmart worked horrible together on the 3.75" TBS Exclusive line, and it finally caught up with them... and the 5POA line is failing.

Retailers order a bunch of 5POA up front for Force Friday, then they are done. And Hasbro can't figure out how to even make their own product available online.

Let's also hope this ridiculous NERF gimmick is ending too.

While we're at it, is it time for a new Hasbro Star Wars team? Is it time to send Steve Evans out the door?

darthapathy
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby darthapathy » Wed May 03, 2017 8:46 pm

This was the scene at a Wal Mart 20 minutes from home. I don't go there very often since they are notorious for not having anything or restocking. They hardly had the TVC.

Raylen , how many Poes were you looking for? They have at least 10
Attachments
20170503_200748.jpg
Last edited by darthapathy on Thu May 04, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Wed May 03, 2017 11:22 pm

darthapathy wrote:This was the scene at a Wal Mart 20 minutes from home. I don't go there very often since they are notorious for not having anything or restocking. They hardly had the TVC.

Raylen , how many Poes were you looking for? Theu have at least 10

LOL just one actually. but the price of shipping would make it $10-11. Not much of a discount at that point.
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?

Return to “General Hasbro Discussion”