Where does the hobby go from here?

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Where does the hobby go from here?

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu May 09, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm usually a glass half full kind of guy and have enjoyed this hobby greatly.

I've put so much into my collection since 1995, and always felt like the hobby gave me a lot back. A lot of satisfaction and joy. But we are in the midst of one of the worst times in collecting that I can recall.

What in the living hell has happened to Hasbro? This company that we all used to find so inspiring has become anything but.

I have so many questions that I would truly love answers to. There's so many more than the list below, and I know we'd never get satisfactory answers to these, but for real... words can't describe how insanely pissed off I have become at them.

- Where did their creativity go?

- Why do they ruin a good thing like vintage and overproduce so many TPM figures?

- What happened to the idea of investing in their product in order to get a good return from their market?

- Why do they see their failures as the result of prices being the culprit, when the real reasons fall squarely on their case assortments?

- Why torture us with several TVC Royal Guards shown on the packaging for the upcoming TIE Interceptor? Is that some kind of sick joke?

- Why did they deviate from the Legends formulas and switch to the highly inferior Movie Heroes line?

- Why do I have to look at mountains of dusty Angry Birds merchandise at ever store I go to?

- Why do they think kids don't care about articulation? Do kids even care about Star Wars at all right now?

- When was the last time anyone saw a kid even looking at Star Wars figures at a store?

- Why do they not realize that the phase 2 removable clone helmets they are using are a catastrophe?

- Where the hell are they going to for their market research?

- Why did they say in a Q&A at JoeCon that vehicle drivers with 5 POA were a mistake and won’t do it again, but we have an entire line of Star Wars figures like this coming??

- Why won't they make any damn playsets? And when they do, why do they make such crappy ones?

- Why are they moving into a 6 inch line? Some of it looks cool, but if they can work with Gentle Giant, why not work with them to make some realistic environments?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

...and this ain't just Star Wars. We've seen them take a turn for the stupid with other lines too. Look at Iron Man 2 and 3… oh my Lord. How many different versions of the same character can they make? Where’s the supporting cast?? Is that their plan for the next Captain America line?? YIKES!

And we know so very well that they lie to us all the time just to kick the can down the road for the next time they have to face us. Like how they “listened” to fans and are making more TVC “greatest hits” figures – that’s crap. Those are figures that retailers didn’t order before because of their colossal screw-ups with TVC assortments early in 2012 (hey, 2011 assortments sucked too -- remember the overproduction of the ESB line with 4-LOM and Dengar – but Hasbro’s on top of things and they don’t make the same mistake twice).

…their snarky comments in the waning days of the Q&As really signaled the end of Hasbro caring about the fans. They have lost touch with us. I’m so saddened by this, and angry at the same time.

I have little faith that they will turn things around. The early signs of the Black Series looks like pure crap in Wave 1. And they are making the same repeat mistakes by carrying forward low demand figures like Biggs. What are they thinking? Throw in something people want! Like… I dunno… a TVC Magna Guard instead? Or Ponda Baba? Bastila anyone? Who at Hasbro can honestly think that Biggs is a good figure to carry forward? And can Hasbro find a way to make a smaller Slave One? What the hell? I know! How about instead of that, make some damn new vehicles that everyone doesn’t already have?

Episode VII might be the only thing that can save Hasbro at this point. They better go look back at how they handled the ROTS line if they know what’s good for them.

:shock:
Luke Sprywalker
Nerf Herder

Re: Where does the hobby go from here?

Postby Luke Sprywalker » Thu May 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Right on man! you have stated exactly what all of us fans and collectors are feeling. I decided to just load up on VTC figures for the articulation and I will have to make my own figures from those parts. If you don't customize you may as well not collect!you can't!
zedhatch

Postby zedhatch » Thu May 09, 2013 3:37 pm

I'll try to touch on some things:

"Where did their creativity go?"

Honestly, I haven't seen creativity out of Hasbro since around 1990, As much as I love Star Wars the creativity there was from another place (Movies, cartoon ect), Their in house brands (Gi Joe and Transformers) haven't shown any creativity or ingenuity in quite some time, they rehash the same characters over and over and over expecting people to be excited over Optimus Prime version 29 or Snake eyes version 59 or whatever. Sure there are sparks of ingenuity but for the most part they have been living off the same old same old for at least a decade if not longer.

"Why do they ruin a good thing like vintage and overproduce so many TPM figures? "

I hate to defend them on this one but they thought the interest would be higher due to the 3D release, I actually get that one even though I spotted it failing miles away.

"What happened to the idea of investing in their product order to get a good return from their market?"

Hasbro has been lazy on this front for years, just look at the super fail that was both "New Sculpt" era GI Joe and GI Joe sigma six. People barely knew they existed and what few did generally didn't like what they saw (with good reason). SW avoided that due to the prequels (But there was the Ep 2 action attack which was an epic fail).

"Why do they see their failures as the result of prices being the culprit, when the real reasons fall squarely on their case assortments?"

Denial, they refuse to face reality in nearly every instance of fail. Seen them do this for YEARS, often they blame fans or blame retailers and only recently did they take accountability (Barely) and even the nothing has improved.

"Why torture us with several TVC Royal Guards shown on the packaging for the upcoming TIE Interceptor? Is that some kind of sick joke?"

That is just plain stupid on their part, I am sure the excuse is something like they expected the Royal Guards to be out in force or something, but anyone could see the writing on the wall.

"Why did they deviate from the Legends formulas and switch to the highly inferior Movie Heroes line?"

I have to point out, where did you see Legends even working? I only saw a few selling here and there and often they were the big pegwarmers even with good figures (because everyone had them already). I know personally I only bought a couple and that was just figures I missed. I admit I think the Movie Heroes line fared just as bad though, they would have saved money just not bothering.

"Why do I have to look at mountains of dusty Angry Birds merchandise at ever store I go to?"

No one wants the crap, I can see THINKING this idea would work, but it failed bigger than even I had anticipated which is pretty bad.

"Why do they think kids don't care about articulation? Do kids even care about Star Wars at all right now?"

Valid point, some of this will be answered in market research but for now I will say Hasbro simply doesn't understand their own market.

"When was the last time anyone saw a kid even looking at Star Wars figures at a store?"

At least a year, maybe longer, it was Clone Wars and the kid was mad at only finding Anakin and Obi-Wan LOL.

"Where the hell are they going to for their market research? "

OK this one is the one I really wanted to tackle because I actually looked into this (Keeping in mind this is, in part, what my degree is in). Looking around I have found ZERO evidence of any form of market research done by Hasbro in the past 15 years at least (Most likely longer). I know the specific research they point to relates back to a 1980 study done in which kids were given a choice of O-Ringed Mego (Dukes of Hazzard, Chips, ect) and Star Wars figures. Kids went for the SW stuffs of course, the factor never taken into consideration in the study was the fact that Star Wars was HUGE back then, ESB had just come out and kids snagged Boba Fett (Who had yet to be in stores) first thing. Character plays a huge part in the study which made it flawed and was labels such years later, but for some reason Hasbro loves to point to it.

CLEARLY Hasbro has no clue who is buying their product. I've asked this a dozen times, have you personally ever been given a survey or option for one when buying toys. I know I asked that once ans someone said HTS had one, but when I pressed further it turned out to be a customer service survey and nothing to do with toy research.

Then you look at the PR, where is it all focused-US-The adult collectors, the Cons are for us, websites (Just like this one) are for us, Newsblogs clearly have an adult lean to them. So if they are so hardcore wanting kids to collect why aren't they even telling them about the product. Clone Wars is considered by many to be the kids marketing, but the problem is that it is geared for adults and never mind the fact that Hasbro had nothing to do with it, they just made the toys.

Commercials? nonexistent, Booklets in the vehicles (Talk about free advertising, right there was an awesome idea)-if we get on it's usually just one wave of figs and vehicles out of the 8 being produced this year. Waves even, they come out so fast and the shelf life is a few seconds, kids can't keep up, it's a tactic for the collector market (Toy Biz and Mcfarline mastered it in the 90's).

In summation, there isn't anything aimed at kids and no market research, anything they say is assumption. Studies on humans (even market research) must be made public eventually (Granted there are ways to keep aspects secret) to ensure no unethical behavior (Yes it does exist) and to carry on further research, you can't find it, not even the evidence of filing (which is always easy to find if you know where to look). Simply put it's just not there.

"Why did they say in a Q&A at JoeCon that vehicle drivers with 5 POA were a mistake and won’t do it again, but we have an entire line of Star Wars figures like this coming??"

Hasbro is eating poop for that one and will continue to do so. The Joe stuff got them slamed hardcore by Joe fans. I will give Joe fans this, you peeve them off about certain aspects and Hasbro will make changes (Look back to the non-Oring figures of 2002, similar outcry), I have noticed SW fans don't need to make as much noise though so that probably counter balances. Still this lame idea of 5 POA figures was doomed from the start, IM3 is pegwarming from all accounts (And my God that movie was taylor made for Hasbro's lame practices, talk about dropping the ball) as is Spidey, I think this will as well and Hasbro will learn it's lesson. I think this was a lame derision from someone just trying to save a buck and get a "bigger profit margin" (Reports say they have got a bigger profit margin but still ended up losing money, not a good sign, also remember Lego overtook them last quarter).

"Why won't they make any damn playsets? And when they do, why do they make such crappy ones?"

That goes back to the lack of creativity, the playsets they made did suck, since they sucked they didn't sell and because they didn't sell Hasbro tries to say they won't sell so they won't make anymore. It's pure dumbness and again, not understanding what the market will bare. I know when AT-AT hit I jumped on it the next day it came out, I wanted to with Falcon but couldn't due to money (Still in my target sites though) meanwhile Joe and Marvel haven't produced a playset worth a darn (In Joe's case since the orginal run) thus I haven't cared to grab them. I leave TF out of that because they were never really know for playsets to begin with.

I do think the tenancy of Target to "Instant clearance" hasn't helped matters, but I don't think it is the main issue as some do.

"Why are they moving into a 6 inch line? Some of it looks cool, but if they can work with Gentle Giant, why not work with them to make some realistic environments? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!"

OK that is about three points ;-)

I already addressed the playset stuffs, so I will move on to the 6 inch line, and I have said all this before but it bares repeating.

I think they waited about 5 years too late for the 6 inchers. Around the time Toy Biz still had the Marvel Legends line people were clamoring for these (Of course most of those same people left the hobby after being fed up with Hasbro, a factor I didn't get the chance to address and will only mention here). Now they seem more a novelty than anything and I doubt they will last longer than a year at the most (Maybe 2) there will be a quick upswing but soon they will lose traction as I don't know anyone who is hardcore interested in these (In fact I am anticipating R2 to pegwarm as well as Luke X-Wing). It was an idea that should have been broached years ago, that's all.

"and this ain't just Star Wars. We've seen them take a turn for the stupid with other lines too. Look at Iron Man 2 and 3… oh my Lord. How many different versions of the same character can they make? Where’s the supporting cast?? Is that their plan for the next Captain America line?? YIKES!"

In defence of IM2, which did actually do well in overall sales, IM can get away with so many armors because he has so many armors. What kills me is Hasbro apparently listened for the first time ever to fanboy whining and got minimalist on the line when the movie actually pandered to Hasbro's insistence on so many of the major character, boggles my mind.

With Cap it failed, clearly, and it should have, but I didn't think it would result in this for IM3. Spider-Man in another they never figure that one out with. In fact they have done this with all lines (SW gets around it by having so many "Lead characters" that they can skip around with them rather than doing straight Han, Leia, Vader, ect each wave. But look over at Joe and Marvel, its constantly Snake Eyes, Storm Shaodw, Cobra Commander, Duke, or Spider-Man, Iron Man and Wolverine.

" Like how they “listened” to fans and are making more TVC “greatest hits” figures – that’s crap. Those are figures that retailers didn’t order before because of their colossal screw-ups with TVC assortments early in 2012 (hey, 2011 assortments sucked too -- remember the overproduction of the ESB line with 4-LOM and Dengar – but Hasbro’s on top of things and they don’t make the same mistake twice)."

I have noticed Hasbro keep plodding along with the same mistake thinking this time it will work, I think it might have worked once and they can't understand why it won't work now, at any case it shows a lack of management on their part.

"…their snarky comments in the waning days of the Q&As really signaled the end of Hasbro caring about the fans. They have lost touch with us. I’m so saddened by this, and angry at the same time."

If I was Hasbro I would have very publicly chastised Hunter PR for that (Apparently that is actually who was running the Q&A's) It made Big H look bad and they should have made it clear it wasn't them who authorized such behavior (Even though they might have). They clearly did not think of the blemish such statements would have on the outlook of their company (Noting now that everything is falling for them and there seems to be no relief in sight). Causal fans left I noticed after that as well and while I don't think that was why I DO think it was a contributing factor.

Chewie I know you think things my turn around but I am kind of doubting it. I said 2 years or so ago (And I believe I said it on my fav figures of that year too) that if Hasbro (and toy companies in general) didn't do some drastic changes soon then they would start having major problems. I got into so arguments with appologists (Not here, other places) claiming Hasbro was strong, they knew what they were doing, the stuff I was talking about was only my local area, that I was a hater, ect, ect, ect. Now look where we are at.

I don't see them turning it around, I want to see it, but there is nothing that is changing and I don't see anything that will change it on their part. They seriously need to face reality hard and start addressing the issues instead of glossing them over, I had HOPED that was beginning with the TPM overproduced revelation, but it now sounds like they made an excuse again but this time pointed the finger at themselves. I should have know just six months after their lamest blame ("Bean counters" at the corporate offices at Hasbro, I mean really, because DDP wanted to present himself as one of us, like no one saw through that-well-most of us did anyway) that they still hadn't changed their spots. I do admit it was fun to point out the "Bean counters" were the same guys who were blaming the "bean counters" on that one. Joe fans are easily manipulated sometimes (PS that was all about the production display case at Joecon and later NYCC last year, so you all have context on what I am rambling about LOL).
Updated Mon-Fri every week
darthmadonna
Bounty Hunter

Postby darthmadonna » Thu May 09, 2013 4:05 pm

This has been going on now for a few years and I was scared to speak up for a long time, fear of being called a troll etc. The thing in the last few years that has really pissed me off though is Hasbro's Eff U attitude towards the very people myself included who have supported them since the beginning. The comments from the 6 inch announcement really pushed me over the edge. Honestly I would like an apology from Depriest and Hasbro for being so rude and flippant to me. Yes ME , it is all about me the one with the money to spend on their crap. I get tired of others trying explain this away and tell me it is not about me. Screw that I am the consumer! You must have consumers if you want to run a business.

Anyways more people need to speak up!
Grimace
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Grimace » Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 pm

I agree with just about everything said above

the Angry Birds should be with the games, not in the action figure aisle
the Pods things should be in the kiddie aisle, not in the action figure aisle

of course if those things were put where they belong, that action figure aisle would look mighty bare

Hasbro's choices for figures to be carried forward is just mind boggling
now I totally understand and approve of certain figures being carried forward, but not the ones that have been chosen
also, those select figures should be put in later assortments, not in consecutive wave after wave after wave
even if that particular figure was selling, it's constant appearance makes it look as if the figure isn't selling at all

with the new BS line, Black Series (or Bull $#!&), nothing seems to have changed
I hate to say this, but that 5 POA line will tank

I was hoping for things to improve, but instead they have gotten worse
Last edited by Grimace on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99%
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Agree with everything said. After last years fiascos I have lost much interest in collecting figures. With the flood of overproduced figs we're bound to get with the sequels, I may even use that as a cutoff point. Collecting has become more frustration than fun and has been for awhile now.

Something to note about Angry Birds.... There seems to be a habit of Hasbro talking up their new product lines and the retailers falling for it every time. Look at how many pegs Walmart had devoted to Fighter Pods. And they finally had to clearance out tons of SERIES ONE that was pegwarming when series four was ready to launch. Now, you want to get series four fighter pods, you have to go to Target. Walmart got burned on them. Now they don't even carry them. Instead, that space is chock full of Angry Birds. TRU had to clearance out tons of old fighter pods too.

As for the vintage figures.... All the stores around me have been getting new stock.....of carry forward TPM figures! Great.
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?
zedhatch

Postby zedhatch » Fri May 10, 2013 1:42 am

darthmadonna wrote:This has been going on now for a few years and I was scared to speak up for a long time, fear of being called a troll etc. The thing in the last few years that has really pissed me off though is Hasbro's Eff U attitude towards the very people myself included who have supported them since the beginning. The comments from the 6 inch announcement really pushed me over the edge. Honestly I would like an apology from Depriest and Hasbro for being so rude and flippant to me. Yes ME , it is all about me the one with the money to spend on their crap. I get tired of others trying explain this away and tell me it is not about me. Screw that I am the consumer! You must have consumers if you want to run a business.

Anyways more people need to speak up!

I wish there was a "like button" right now for this statement, just saying.
Updated Mon-Fri every week
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri May 10, 2013 9:46 am

Luke Sprywalker wrote:Right on man! you have stated exactly what all of us fans and collectors are feeling. I decided to just load up on VTC figures for the articulation and I will have to make my own figures from those parts. If you don't customize you may as well not collect!you can't!

Thanks - and yeah, customizing is the only thing that's getting a lot of us through these dry spells.

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri May 10, 2013 10:04 am

Hey zed - I agree with most of your responses... a few I'll mildly disagree with... :)

zedhatch wrote:-SNIP-
"Where did their creativity go?"
-SNIP-
Honestly, I haven't seen creativity out of Hasbro since around 1990, As much as I love Star Wars the creativity there was from another place (Movies, cartoon ect), Their in house brands (Gi Joe and Transformers) haven't shown any creativity or ingenuity in quite some time, they rehash the same characters over and over and over expecting people to be excited over Optimus Prime version 29 or Snake eyes version 59 or whatever. Sure there are sparks of ingenuity but for the most part they have been living off the same old same old for at least a decade if not longer.

Oh, I think they were creative here and there with Star Wars, and have done some good things wtih GI JOE and Transformers the past few years - but their glory days of being creative were CERTAINLY in the 1980s. But, when they do get "creative" these days, I do have to admit they're really just being nostalgic more than anything - like the commerative Optimus Prime, the anniversary Joe figures (30th were much better than the 25th though, those Cobra Trooper and Vipers are AMAZING)... for Star Wars, they did a GREAT job with the BMF style vehicles too, and the B.A.D. concepts are good, just not always well distributed.

"Why do they ruin a good thing like vintage and overproduce so many TPM figures?"
-SNIP-
I hate to defend them on this one but they thought the interest would be higher due to the 3D release, I actually get that one even though I spotted it failing miles away.

I get the first wave of TPM vintage - that made PERFECT sense. But carrying forward those figures in Wave 2 and 3, and also having Obi Wan and Qui Gon in movie heroes, deluxes at the same time... and the MOTHER FREAKING PODRACERS??? I can't comprehend that one bit.

"Why did they deviate from the Legends formulas and switch to the highly inferior Movie Heroes line?"
-SNIP-
I have to point out, where did you see Legends even working? I only saw a few selling here and there and often they were the big pegwarmers even with good figures (because everyone had them already). I know personally I only bought a couple and that was just figures I missed. I admit I think the Movie Heroes line fared just as bad though, they would have saved money just not bothering.

Legends figures always moved pretty steady in my area - and the major reason was the figures were GOOD. Most were at least. They didn't have action features, they had a ton of accessories, were loaded with articulation, etc. Just compare the battle droid offerings, for example. Before, you got TWO super articulated battle droids... now you get ONE crappy droid. Super battle droids also were better then - heck, it was the SA mold they used for the TVC one... this one now, is the crappy one from a decade ago that sucked then and sucks worse now. Vader... horrible version of him in a stupid pre-posed stance. Before, you'd get a nice articulated version, with a silk robe... those figures were FAR superior... and gave collectors a bone too, because at least the army builders were worth picking up more of. The Movie Heroes ones are not.

"and this ain't just Star Wars. We've seen them take a turn for the stupid with other lines too. Look at Iron Man 2 and 3… oh my Lord. How many different versions of the same character can they make? Where’s the supporting cast?? Is that their plan for the next Captain America line?? YIKES!"
-SNIP-
In defence of IM2, which did actually do well in overall sales, IM can get away with so many armors because he has so many armors. What kills me is Hasbro apparently listened for the first time ever to fanboy whining and got minimalist on the line when the movie actually pandered to Hasbro's insistence on so many of the major character, boggles my mind.
With Cap it failed, clearly, and it should have, but I didn't think it would result in this for IM3. Spider-Man in another they never figure that one out with. In fact they have done this with all lines (SW gets around it by having so many "Lead characters" that they can skip around with them rather than doing straight Han, Leia, Vader, ect each wave. But look over at Joe and Marvel, its constantly Snake Eyes, Storm Shaodw, Cobra Commander, Duke, or Spider-Man, Iron Man and Wolverine.

Well, I saw SO many Iron Man 2 figures not selling... moutaints of them at TJ Maxx... even when TRU had some sort of Buy 1 Get 2 free to dump some, I don't think they sold any in my area. There should have been Tony Stark in a business suit, they should have pulled some Iron Man 1 characters into the mix (some soldiers or something), etc. I think the line was a mess, personally... but not as bad as the Iron Man 3 figure line.

Anyways... I agree with so much other stuff you said, I just quoted the areas that I have a different opinion on.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 am

darthmadonna wrote:Anyways more people need to speak up!

Agreed with everything you said... especially the part I quoted. I wish all our forum members would chime in.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri May 10, 2013 10:09 am

Grimace wrote:I agree with just about everything said above

the Angry Birds should be with the games, not in the action figure aisle
the Pods things should be in the kiddie aisle, not in the action figure aisle

of course of those things were put where they belong, that action figure aisle would look mighty bare

Hasbro's choices for figures to be carried forward is just mind boggling
now I totally understand and approve of certain figures being carried forward, but not the ones that have been chosen
also, those select figures should be put in later assortments, not in consecutive wave after wave after wave
even if that particular figure was selling, it's constant appearance makes it look as if the figure isn't selling at all

with the new BS line, Black Series (or Bull $#!&), nothing seems to have changed
I hate to say this, but that 5 POA line will tank

I was hoping for things to improve, but instead they have gotten worse

I am beginning to think the same thing about the 5 POA line as well... I just don't see people caring about inferior figures. Sure, some parents will like the lower price point, but if kids aren't caring about Star Wars (which I feel they are NOT these days), then the entire strategy by Hasbro is going to fall on its face.

And the Black Series lineup is looking pathetic so far, like you said.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri May 10, 2013 10:12 am

Raylen wrote:Agree with everything said. After last years fiascos I have lost much interest in collecting figures. With the flood of overproduced figs we're bound to get with the sequels, I may even use that as a cutoff point. Collecting has become more frustration than fun and has been for awhile now.

Something to note about Angry Birds.... There seems to be a habit of Hasbro talking up their new product lines and the retailers falling for it every time. Look at how many pegs Walmart had devoted to Fighter Pods. And they finally had to clearance out tons of SERIES ONE that was pegwarming when series four was ready to launch. Now, you want to get series four fighter pods, you have to go to Target. Walmart got burned on them. Now they don't even carry them. Instead, that space is chock full of Angry Birds. TRU had to clearance out tons of old fighter pods too.

As for the vintage figures.... All the stores around me have been getting new stock.....of carry forward TPM figures! Great.

You're right - I don't know why retailers seem to fall for Hasbro's product gimmicks so often. Fighter pods did have to get clearanced out by Wal-Mart, and who can blame them. And now Wal-Mart is marking down Angry Birds too.

Hasbro just overproduces their launch lines beyond belief and needs to go back to what works - GOOD product, focusing on the 3.75" scale line, with VARIETY, NEW SCULPTS, some NEW CHARACTERS and 75% of the line being NEW!

darthapathy
Pod Racer

Postby darthapathy » Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:
Raylen wrote:
Hasbro just overproduces their launch lines beyond belief and needs to go back to what works - GOOD product, focusing on the 3.75" scale line, with VARIETY, NEW SCULPTS, some NEW CHARACTERS and 75% of the line being NEW!

Couldn't agree with you more. Forget the gimmicks and stick with what works.
master_phruby
Nerf Herder

Postby master_phruby » Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 pm

100% agree with everyone here. Target and Walmart in my area have never had anything new in two years. They still have Naboo guards and Quigons. I've tried placing the remaining figures on one peg to give them the hint to restock. It's hasn't worked.

TRU was able to finally get rid of the TPM stuff to only replace it with MORE TPM stuff! Why would they do that to us? The only thing good about that case was vintage CW Anakin and DS trooper. The Darth Magnus is always taken by TRU employees before it hits the pegs. Now their pegs are full of crap that took 18 months to get rid of in the first place. Were are they going to put the new stuff? As for Angry Birds, my six year old thinks they are pretty cool but not enough to actually buy them. He would rather have the TMNT or super hero stuff anyway.

I've pretty much refocused my collecting habits to classic video games and finding parts to my vintage ships and playsets. Even if Hasbro decided to restock the stores with new stuff I probably won't buy. It would have to be something pretty special to get me back into it again.
When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true but because of the distance, not for a million years.
This message is brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours
Fritzkrieg
Droid

Postby Fritzkrieg » Fri May 10, 2013 12:27 pm

I for one have spent considerably less this year than I have in past years. Which is funny having two young children whom love hasbro's licensed brands. My boy loves Star Wars,he is 3. He also loves the superheroes. I have not purchased a single toy from the new iron man line, as it is all happy meal quality crap. With the exception of the 12" vintage articulated Clone trooper, which of should of had a removable blaster, I have not purchased Star Wars for him since the Clone wars lines demise. My daughter has a collection of My little Ponys, but there are so few new characters available, I have not purchased a Pony since Christmas. My personal collecting habits run the full spectrum of everything available in 3 3/4", the core of which is Star Wars. Other than the rare vintage collection, Death Star commander or Mon Cal Pilot, the super rare Marvel Universe figures, and a few of the more iconic GI Joes and some of the multipacks for custom purposes, I have purchased a mere fraction of what I have in past years. I find myself looking to other brands like Neca or McFarland for my 3 3/4 fix. Hasbro could of had a much larger share of my discretionary income, had they continued with the Build A Droid plan, or rolled out an iron man line at least as good as the Captain America line or the much hated on Iron Man 2 line. I think Hasbro needs to hire execs who actually appreciate and know what a good toy line consists of.

Return to “General Hasbro Discussion”