Image Image Image Image Image

Where does the hobby go from here?

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Diddly
Cantina Bartender

Re: Where does the hobby go from here?

Postby Diddly » Thu May 11, 2017 8:31 am

My TRU had EVERYTHING on clearance yesterday. The mountain of Finn and Zuvio 6 inch for 11.99. TFA 5POA figures down to $4.99. Ships down to $19.99. Lightsabers down to $12.99. Nerf guns are roughly half off. Rogue One figures... oh wait, this store was clogged with so many 4 inch Goss Toowers and 6 inch Finns and Zuvios that they never bothered putting any R1 toys on the pegs outside of the ships and Nerf guns. They did get the Hovertank Pilot exclusive, but there are at least 20 and not on sale.

This TRU NEVER puts things on clearance/sale, so I'm hoping someone got sick of literally zero Star Wars product moving over the last 18 months, and are hoping to get rid of everything so that new stock can FINALLY come in, and hopefully sell. If only they'd clear out the 3 year old Marvel figures and start fresh...
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 am

With a movie every year, retailers need to cut their losses and purge old products before the new lines start to show up. TRU loves to hang onto old product, and then they have a dip in sales when it comes to new items because they cant get them on the pegs. I honestly wish they'd get clearance merchandise out of the regular action figure aisle after a month at most. TRU has pegwarmers taking up vital space for years.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu May 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Before the Rogue One stuff was put on the pegs, I was able to go into the stockroom to look at what was back there at a local TRU thanks to a cool employee... the manager then walked up to me (I figured she wasn't happy I was back there) and to my surprise, she wanted to know what I thought.

I told her that I thought this stuff was going to go over pretty well compared to TFA - she said something to the effect of, "We really need it to - we took a huge hit on the TFA product." She indicated how poorly the 5POA product and vehicles had sold and it was quite devastating to them. She also even mentioned that they needed products that the collectors are interested in because when they have what collectors want, collectors "buy so much."

I think it's no surprise that TVC is coming back. Retailers have gotten royally dumped on by Hasbro with the cheapened product that few kids find interesting, and many collectors despise. It's time to abandon the 5POA model and drop the NERF features. It's just a disaster at retail. That's not to say that some of the 5POA figures are not good, some of them are. But drop the stupid gimmick pack-ins and add a few more points of articulation on figures, and NO MORE split torsos!

Given the retail situation, I'd expect an even smaller EP8 product line geared specifically at that movie, and more collector oriented products to be on the pegs next Spring. Eventually Hasbro's bad management catches up with them. They wouldn't be going back to TVC if their 3.75" approach the past few years was making retailers happy. And we know that Walmart has no idea how to manage their exclusive line. Total nightmare.

:wink:
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Thu May 11, 2017 12:28 pm

From what I can see at stores and online, 5 POA sell rather well, and vanish from pegs quickly when the right assortment gets released. But if you stock your pegs with dozens of cases filled with PZ, Goss, Hux, etc they are going to pegwarm. I don't know if the fault was with TRU for ordering too much of that wave or Hasbro for sending it - but they have to be smarter when it comes to how they release waves. A single store isn't going to sell through dozens and dozens of a single background character. The ratios and carry forwards need to be fixed. With RO for example - after waves 1 and 2 sell out, don't carry anything forward unless there is significant demand for it. There is no reason for the Rebels Leia for example to be carried forward when the demand was already met - that slot could have been filled with a RO Leia instead, and they wouldn't be hanging around!
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Thu May 11, 2017 12:46 pm

darth_sidious wrote:The ratios and carry forwards need to be fixed. With RO for example - after waves 1 and 2 sell out, don't carry anything forward unless there is significant demand for it.

Agreed. That's why I think they shouldn't carry forward any figures from previous waves until at least after wave 4 and then start trickling in the popular figures. Finn was a boring figure aesthetic-wise and Cassian's Eadu figure was only in for a small amount of time, yet gets carried forward. I remember in the old days that Hasbro would have a greatest hits wave to re-release those that were in high demand again.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu May 11, 2017 5:41 pm

I agree that 5POA can do better with smarter assortments... but also drop those weapons, add a touch of articulation (and no more split torsos) and those pegwarmers will sell a lot faster.

Figures like Goss Toowers would sell a lot better if Hasbro dropped the silly oversized weapon and gave him a removable helmet, wrists that twist and a soft torso. Because then people like me would have bought quite a few more for various customs.

So the quality of the product is definitely part of the program.

Also - maybe look at 24 figure cases since stores seem to hesitate to order past the first couple assortments. Get out new 18 figures all at once for the launch, and double up on the army builders... and make a better variety of multi-packs...

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu May 11, 2017 5:45 pm

darth_sidious wrote:There is no reason for the Rebels Leia for example to be carried forward when the demand was already met - that slot could have been filled with a RO Leia instead, and they wouldn't be hanging around!

Hey! Stop posting logical ideas. Hasbro doesn't like too many of those.

darth_sidious wrote:With RO for example - after waves 1 and 2 sell out, don't carry anything forward unless there is significant demand for it.

On this, I do have to say that Hasbro forecasts waves what to carry forward for Waves 3/4 well before they know how Waves 1 and 2 are doing... and really, Waves 3/4 don't carry things forward in Rogue One assortments... neither did Wave 2, except the Stormtrooper, right? So I think basically the stores had their fill of Waves 1/2, or Hasbro didn't get Wave 3 stuff ready for the retailes to have it early enough. Waves 1/2 both should have been on pegs for Force Friday, and Wave 3 before Christmas and Wave 4 being around after Christmas to restock the pegs after the Christmas rush.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri May 12, 2017 1:14 pm

A source that I trust more than any other has indicated that the amount of EP8 product variety will be massive, like EP7...

Seeing what is warming pegs at most stores seems like a bit of overkill, but if retailers are willing to order it, Hasbro is going to be more than happy to oblige... I just hope we see more dedication to the 3.75" line in terms of quality but we're probably not looking at much of change to the approach from Hasbro.

Imaculata
Scavenger

Postby Imaculata » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:18 am

Fortunately I have just added extra shelves to my Star Wars cabinet to make room for the next waves of 3.75 figures. It is pretty staggering how fast those shelves fill up. I think my TFA+Rogue One collection already exceeds my classic Kenner collection now.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:47 pm

With the return of TVC next year, Walmart's apparent "exclusive" loss of TBS 3.75" scale, and now Hasbro moving past 5POA for The Last Jedi... gotta wonder how much of this (if any) is related to the smashing success of Boss Fight Studios 3.75" SA figures and Hasbro waking up to the fact that they are missing the boat?

Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:24 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:With the return of TVC next year, Walmart's apparent "exclusive" loss of TBS 3.75" scale, and now Hasbro moving past 5POA for The Last Jedi... gotta wonder how much of this (if any) is related to the smashing success of Boss Fight Studios 3.75" SA figures and Hasbro waking up to the fact that they are missing the boat?

I wouldn't go that far. I mean "smashing success"? It may be but your average collector probably has not heard of them. I doubt Hasbro feels they've somehow lost money due to a relatively new and small company. BFS makes great stuff but if you want SW or Marvel, well they can't supply that market. I may have spent much less on SW in the last few years, but its not a choice between SW and something else. Either there's SW I want or not.

Us collectors have been very very vocal about what we want. Hasbro doesn't care about us so long as the big retailers buy up whatever crap they're peddling. So despite the fact that Hasbro has made these record profits, the big retailers may be having trouble moving product and in turn have expressed some hesitation toward supporting the line to the same degree as before. I have nothing to back this up, just a thought.
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:18 pm

I think Hasbro knows many collectors like SA figures, that's not news to them, its just a balancing act of how much articulation they can include with a basic figure and at what pricepoint. 5 POA was too little for some, and $13 was too expensive for some when it came to SA figures. There is a happy medium where Hasbro can give us figures between 5 POA and 9 POA in one line, under $10, and there wont be a need for two 3.75 lines competing for consumers. Next year, the basic and TVC lines are likely going to be hurting each other, unless collectors and kids buy from both - and in significantly higher numbers than RO basic and TBS.
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:23 pm

I don't know how the TVC line is going to work, to be honest. Just look at the 6" line and how that is being handled. While many good figures move, some don't even at 50% off. And then there is never any restock of newer waves (hello Baze, Revan, AT-AT Driver, Snowtrooper and Chirrut!) or newer waves get carry-forwards no one wants that will only clog the pegs again. And the 40th Anniversary line is a disaster. Poorly stocked to never stocked (don't want to get burned) or overstocked with Leias. I've only seen 5 figures from the line (Vader, Luke, Obi-Wan, Leia, R5), so that's barely half the line. People's orders are getting cancelled... even the Titaniums are being discounted already from reports. And then the last wave of RO gets the 'last wave syndrome' and minus one of the characters. Whoever is running these lines is running it into the ground... and I can't see retail buying into more lines because of this.

I mean, TVC 2.0 is going to start off with Rey, Finn, Poe, Han, Leia, Phasma, Kylo and FO Stormie that everyone already owns (since they are pegwarming walmarts). The only difference is the cards and it's not enough for me to buy them again. This line should start off with a bang! Give us new never been released figures before throwing in repacks. I feel like the line is DOA with this line up.

I hope Hasbro proves me wrong.
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:18 am

5 figures from the 40th Ann?! You're lucky! I've only seen 3 (counting Vader). And except for Vader, my TRU still didn't have peg space for them last I checked! In other 6", Never saw Baze, Chirrut, Revan, Snowtrooper, Sabine, Ashoka, Kanan, Obi Wan, Hux, etc either. Much of the 5 POA lines have been non existent too. How do these stores expect to move anything?!!! If you're a collector, just order online and figure the added shipping cost is now the new retail cost. I have zero faith in any brick and mortar anymore.
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:19 am

Perish the thought that TVC 2.0 will start like that because it will be DOA. I honestly think most of the carded completists from this hobby are gone, so Hasbro shouldn't expect repacks to fly of the pegs. This hobby and action figures sales have changed pretty drastically over the years, and Hasbro needs to adjust for that. They release far too many lines, all of which have some pegwarmers, and later waves are a chore to find. The hobby isn't fun when you need to try to find someone from another country to get a figure for you (looking at you Fenn Rau!). Also, when it comes to the basic line, I have no desire to buy them all online if I have to pay for shipping as well, it defeats the purpose of having a reasonably priced line for consumers if you pay $8 for the figure and another $6-7 to ship it!

Return to “General Hasbro Discussion”