Image Image Image Image Image

So I Recently Went Through My Figures...

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Jodo
Force Sensitive

So I Recently Went Through My Figures...

Postby Jodo » Tue May 13, 2014 9:48 am

A few months ago I decided to seperate my loose figures into different categories. Originally I wanted OT and PT figures seperate from one another, but soon I had 8 small plastic tubs, each with their own category of figures. First was my vintage collection, then Imperials/Mandos, of course Republic/Droids took up their own, Jabba Deniznens/Cantina Patrons was another, Wookiees and Jedis had their own, then rebels and various figures in another. There was even an entire tub of stands and larger accessories. Then I had the 8th box.

I ended up going back through everything, and essentially created a box of figures that were neither here not there. They were not figures I would really display, but they're not worth selling either. Many POTF2 and TPM figures went into this category, and I began to wonder what I should do with them. I finally decided it would be my box of figures I should save for my children, as they served me very well as a child,and I'd like to pass them down to my kids, so the toys can do the same for them. Plus the limited amount of articulation and sturdier builds of the POTF2 era would probably fit smaller hands, and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to start my child out playing with these someday.

However I noticed something as I was going through them, I had a ton of the same characters in this box. Sure I knew that I owned several Luke figures, but I didn't really know how many. Last night I tallied the toys, and out of about 150 figures I found I had 15 Luke Skywalkers. So Luke makes up around 10% of what is in that box. I only have 3 Hans, 3 Leias, and 3 Landos in comparison. The other figures are either imperials or denizens, which aside from Stormtroopers, none of which are the same. I know Luke is the main character, but I didn't even like him as a kid (nor do I now). Why in the world would I have so many, let alone in just this one box?

I then wondered what the case was for PT figures, so I counted them as well. There was 3 way tie between characters. I had 6 Qui-Gons (admittedly my favorite PT hero as a kid), 6 Darth Mauls (my favorite PT villain), and then 6 Little Ani Skywalkers (what the eff). How in the world, even as a kid, did I ever think buying 6 Ani figures was a good move? Sure the other characters were my favorite, so I was drawn to purchase each incarnation, but the little yippee boy? Seriously?

I thought I was always more into the background characters or even EU figures as a young person, which shifted into Stormtroopers and Clones later, but I do not recall ever once looking for new Luke figures, or thinking I wish I had that Anikan Skywalker kid! Have any of you noticed anything similar in your habits looking back? I mean, I know I have 40 clones and 40 Stormtroopers, but 15 Lukes? (Not counting the other 5 or so from my modern collection). Maybe I was just an impulsive kid( wait I still am), but I found this a little strange.

I don't know if as a kid maybe I was just caught up in trying to have every single thing that came out, or if I just wasn't cognitive of what I was spending my allowance on or what. However the statistics indicate I loved Luke and Anikan Skywalker in my youth. If I had to of guessed it should have been Han Solo that would have been plentiful in my early collection, as he was always my favorite as a young person, but that is definitely not the case. Needless to say I don't think I'll be picking up another Luke or Ani anytime in the near future.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
darth_sidious
Emperor

Re: So I Recently Went Through My Figures...

Postby darth_sidious » Tue May 13, 2014 11:29 am

As a kid, I had a real variety of Kenner SW figures, and if I remember correctly, I only had one Luke from ROTJ - none of the other versions. I recall buying my favorite version of each of the main characters - so I didn't have them in different outfits (I think my dad may have influenced this). When I was done with core characters, I went for all the aliens that I could find, because they were my favorites. By no means did I have a complete collection, perhaps only 25% of the characters Kenner produced...

As an adult, I have every character, every outfit, and even duplicates of some of the same characters / outfits. Perhaps I want them all as an adult, because I didn't have them all as a kid? haha :P
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue May 13, 2014 12:19 pm

If I may ask, how old are you, Jodo? And you too, darth_siduous?

I'm nearing 37 - so my experience with "toys as a kid" is really through the 1980s. Back then, there wasn't the focus on the same character over and over again - at least not in the same outfit. I did have a few of Luke and Han but really, it was aliens and a few troopers, etc. I think I had 3-4 Stormtroopers and 3 Snowtroopers, 1 Biker Scout, and 2 Hoth Rebels, 1 Endor Rebel and a few Ewoks. That was my "army" per se. But I was so young I really don't remember all that much of my Star Wars youth other than in 1984, getting a lot of ROTJ stuff for Christmas (I was also into He-Man in the early 1980s, and probably liked that more than Star Wars actually). Within a year though I was into Transformers and soon after, GI JOE.

I remember as a kid wanting army builders a lot though - I was so upset that it was hard to get Cobra Troopers by the time I got into GI JOE, which began for me in 1987 - Vipers were the new army builder, and a had 3 of him, 1 Crimson Guard, 2 BATs (my parents would only order me one Cobra Trooper through the Fan Club) -- and finally some Python Patrol Cobra Troopers with my own money later - which were my last Joes I got as a kid.

My parents always wanted to buy me all the stupid variations of Vipers - but I wanted an army of Cobra Troopers and HISS tanks! I remember being so depressed at times when I was 10-12 years old over this.

Star Wars really wasn't an obsession for me until 1995 when I was 18.

:wink:
darthapathy
Rebel / Imperial Pilot

Postby darthapathy » Tue May 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Wow. I'm feeling pretty old right about now :wink:

I too grew up with the original Kenner Star Wars figures. My brother and I didn't get very many from Star Wars (or A New Hope as it is called today :wink: ). We had maybe a dozen or so figures. We got more when Empire came out and pretty much all of them by Jedi. We never got army builders though, just one of each. It wasn't until I got into GI Joe that the concept of army building occurred to me. Back then, figures were usually less than $2 so after getting all the other figures in a wave, I would pick up army builders with my allowance until the next wave came out. Six was the magic number back then. I usually had six of the various Cobra troopers.

As an adult, I concentrate mainly on the OT for my collection. I only have one of each variation of a main character so as your example I have five Luke Skywalker in the ANH Rebels box. They are Tatooine [VOTC], Stormtrooper Disguise [TLC], Death Star [TVC], Red Five [VTAC], and Yavin Ceremony [TBS].

As far as army builders go I have adopted the same philosophy I had as a kid. I pick them up when I come across them after I have picked up all the other figures of a wave and waiting until the next one. The number has changed from six to ten for the most part. The exceptions to that rule is if there was a scene specific number (Nine Gamorreans since there were nine in Jabba's Palace) or used in more than one scene (some Rebel Fleet Troopers for Tantive IV scene, some for Yavin Ceremony)
darthapathy
Rebel / Imperial Pilot

Postby darthapathy » Tue May 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Here is how I have my figures broken down. Most of my collection is OT with a small element of E1 and E2. Most of them are kept in the 6qt. "shoebox" size tub with the exception of the "Jabba's Palace" collection. It is in a 20qt. size to accommodate his throne.

Episode I
Tatooine-podracers, pit droids and anyone else that was on Tatooine in the movie
Naboo-Gungans and citizens of Naboo
Villains-basically battle and destroyer droids

Episode II
Republic-Jedi and Clone Troopers
CIS-battle droids, super battle droids, Geonosians and seperatists

Episode IV
Rebels-Main Characters (all versions), pilots, troopers and officers
Imperials-Vader, Tarkin, other officers, troopers and droids
Cantina- anyone from the cantina
Tatooine-Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, Jawas, sand people and anyone from Mos Eisley but not in the cantina

Episode V
Rebels-Main characters (Hoth versions), officers, troopers, pilots, and droids
Imperials-Vader, officers, Bounty Hunters and troopers
Bespin-Main characters (Bespin versions), guards, and Ugnaughts

Episode VI
Rebels- Main characters (Endor versions), officers, troopers, pilots, and droids
Imperials-Emperor, Vader, officers, troopers, and droids
Jabba's Palace-Main characters (palace versions) and everyone else from Jabba's palace/skiff/sail barge
Endor-Ewoks, Jedi spirits
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Tue May 13, 2014 2:46 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:If I may ask, how old are you, Jodo? And you too, darth_siduous?

I'm only 23 (you guys are OLD! :p), so I didn't grow up while the vintage figures were just regular figures...However I remeber when I was about 5 playing with my cousin's hand-me-downs, which included a few 80's Ewoks, a few troops, about a half dozen other figures, and the Ewok village, all of which I still have today. Then the POF2 figures came out, and that was the end of it, I knew even as a kid I was hooked. Nearly every dollar I had from then until about 2009 went to buying figures and vehicles.

After buying the BMF and the AT-TE I honestly felt like there was too much product being released, and I wouldn't be able to sustain being a completist any longer (of course I would miss some of the figures I had always wanted by stopping). I ended up selling about 200 MOMC figures, and opened the other 200 or so items I had always wanted to open. I did save 3 large tubs full of MOC stuff, because I knew I should retain something of my once "perfect" collection. I then essentially put everything in storage, and did not see or give anything else a second thought, other than how I could sell the remianing 60 or so figures.

Then last year my girlfriend and I auditioned for Episode 7, and I found out she had never seen any of the films. We started watching them again, and I knew I was hooked once more. Shortly after that I saw a set of four cream colored glass display case someone had posted on the Yakface Facebook page, and I decided it would be really nice to get my stuff out and display it again, eventually achieving a similar display like that guy had created. I'll have to post some of the old pictures of my collection how it was around 2004 or so!

Darthapathy, we have a similar storage structure going on! I think my small tubs are 12 quarts though.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
!
theArchivist
Midi-Chlorian

Postby theArchivist » Wed May 14, 2014 11:19 am

I'm in my early 30s and mostly had Ninja Turtles growing up and didn't get into Star Wars until 97ish. Since then I have amassed a gigantic collection of 1:18 scaled figures across all genres/lines with a focus mostly on fantasy/scifi figures and recently super heroes. Most of them have been in storage for the past few years but I just moved down to Atlanta and decided it was time to sort through everything and see what I have. I have been picking up those plastic shoe boxes to sort my figures. as of right now I think I'm up to 50/60ish boxes...

My eventual plan for them is to do something like EMIPRE's space port (that is the most amazing thing i have ever seen) and build very specific diorama/playsets from Star Wars.
jarjarsis1
Midi-Chlorian

Postby jarjarsis1 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Oy, I understand, My core hero collection is very weird, I have 5 Jedi outfit lukes not counting the Endor outfits! I am sure thats not even all of the ROTJ Lukes out there. But atlas I do not have a non-gimmic R2, and am at somewhat of a loss of which one to buy.

I am sure everyones collection is slanted one way or another. I thought I had allot of Star Wars figures since I collected from 1998ish till today. But mostly one of each figure maybe 3-5 of each differently colored storm or clone trooper and the vehicles too. I quickly started to collect GI JOE in 2008 ish and that is where my stupid army building numbers come in. I actually have more tubs of 5 years of GI JOE figures than 15 plus years of Star Wars figures. When Pursuit of Cobra came out I went batshit, So many tubs in the basement just filled to the brim of hasbro and a little mattel.
jarjarsis1
Midi-Chlorian

Postby jarjarsis1 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Oy, I understand, My core hero collection is very weird, I have 5 Jedi outfit lukes not counting the Endor outfits! I am sure thats not even all of the ROTJ Lukes out there. But atlas I do not have a non-gimmic R2, and am at somewhat of a loss of which one to buy.

I am sure everyones collection is slanted one way or another. I thought I had allot of Star Wars figures since I collected from 1998ish till today. But mostly one of each figure maybe 3-5 of each differently colored storm or clone trooper and the vehicles too. I quickly started to collect GI JOE in 2008 ish and that is where my stupid army building numbers come in. I actually have more tubs of 5 years of GI JOE figures than 15 plus years of Star Wars figures. When Pursuit of Cobra came out I went batshit, So many tubs in the basement just filled to the brim of hasbro and a little mattel.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Army building I totally understand! Recently I started investing in Stormtroopers, just in case I ever have the room to either make an Emperor's Arrival diorama, or can start shooting a photonovel. Likewise I finished out my ranks of 41st and 212 Clones. They're by far my favorite ROTS clones, and I have an idea for diorama for them as well. However, one odd thing I started doing was looking for obscure items I don't really need, while I obviously want other figures/vehicles more. One example would be how I really want more Stormtroopers or a second AT-DP, but instead of purchasing them I bought a Republic Tank on Amazon.

Now I will say I LOVED this vehicle as a young person playing the original Clone Wars game, however I have no where to display it. There isn't a diorama it fits in with, and I don't really have any room for it in a current display. Another example would be how I bought a second Coruscant bar section to maybe eventually have a Outlander Bar mini-dio, but the chances of that are slim to none. Maybe I'm falling back on my old "must have everything I wanted" mentality again. :oops:
!
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:26 pm

I think a number of us that like the 5 POA figures are having a dilemma when it comes to duplicate characters that we don't really "need". I recently picked up the Legends Jedi Luke, not because I need another, but because the likeness is the best yet. I talked myself out of buying the Legends Snowtrooper and the CW Obi-Wan at least though...

Return to “General Hasbro Discussion”