Image Image Image Image Image

It's Time for a change, Hasbro.

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

dj121
Midi-Chlorian

It's Time for a change, Hasbro.

Postby dj121 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:44 am

Don't get me wrong. I understand Hasbro is a TOY company. I understand their objective is to get parents to buy things for KIDS. However, if you look at the product lines over the last few years, what do you see? I see a bunch of failed attempts at getting Star Wars into the hands of children.

Angry Birds- We saw a total glut of product. Most of it sat around, and was finally clearanced by retail.

Fighter Pods- Small little micro sized figures, easy for young ones to swallow. And again, Hasbro cancelled a supposed "Successful" line after only a year.

Star Wars Command- Plastic solid color stationary figures, the size and scale of the traditional plastic Army Men. Offering a wide varitey of sets and prices, yet they continue to sit on shelves, unsold.

Hero large size vehicles- Very big useless hollow plastic shell vehicles. An X Wing that can't "X", and a Millennium Falcon that has a spinning radar dish. These vehicles were overpriced right from the start, and now are on clearance at most retailers.

I think it is time for Hasbro to rethink. What has kept the Star Wars brand alive for almost 40 years? The basic bread and butter of the line. The core 3 3/4 inch action figures!

Stop spending money on these failed attempts at toys no one has any interest in. Focus on the 3 3/4 figures. You've got Rebels and Legends for the kids. You've got the Black Series figures for collectors and the masses.Vehicles! PLAYSETS! Yes, playsets. You say they don't sell? Why has every other company out there released playsets for their lines? And why have they SOLD? That has worked. That gets people spending their money and putting dollars in YOUR hands!

PLEASE, Hasbro. PLEASE. Get back to what has given you years of success and billions of dollars over the years. It pains me to see your items sitting unsold and on clearance. When you were on your game, and figures were flowing to retail at a steady pace, they sold. You made money. Collectors AND KIDS were buying! That is where the heart and sole of the Star Wars toys has always been, and will always be. PLEASE. Put time and money back into the line, and get it where it should be. At the CORE of the Star Wars Toy line!
The Force will be with you, Always!
darth_sidious
Emperor

Re: It's Time for a change, Hasbro.

Postby darth_sidious » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:13 pm

I don't fault Hasbro for trying new things, because all companies do it in order to experiment with what will interest consumers. They are also trying to offer items at lower pricepoints, which I think is a smart move (5 POA, etc). The biggest issue is that these other lines seem to be resulting in the 3.75 lines suffering a bit. I have no interest in another scale - not 6 inch, not 12, not 2.5 - I will only buy 3.75 figures. If those lines fail, my time as a collector is also over.
StooperZero
Teras Kasi

Postby StooperZero » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:45 pm

look at all toy lines/companies.

product is crap. You pay for a name just like a sneaker.

the DC line that was $12 each a few months back are now $3 each at my local walmart cause theyre made of crap.
Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:49 am

It's hard to fault Hasbro for shying away from playsets when the last toy that filled that role, the Republic Attach Shuttle, sat on shelves for years. Despite many price reductions. And being a first-rate toy and good vehicle in its own right.

One underappreciated aspect of the side lines is that they are a sign that Hasbro is still experimenting with the line. Bad results on the whole can sometimes be passed off as the failure of one specific trial. If the Star Wars offerings are down to just the 3.75" line, there would not be anything else to cut in the event that the line as an whole is suffering.
Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:07 am

darth_sidious wrote:I don't fault Hasbro for trying new things, because all companies do it in order to experiment with what will interest consumers. They are also trying to offer items at lower pricepoints, which I think is a smart move (5 POA, etc). The biggest issue is that these other lines seem to be resulting in the 3.75 lines suffering a bit. I have no interest in another scale - not 6 inch, not 12, not 2.5 - I will only buy 3.75 figures. If those lines fail, my time as a collector is also over.

I've been thinking about the prospect of Hasbro dropping the 3.75" line of its own volition. My guess is that this absolutely would not happen. There is a massive amount of goodwill built up from collectors like you, DS, as well as from people who watched the movies (and bought the toys) as children and now are buying those toys for their kids. A different scale just might not translate as well. It's analogous to many collectors' desire to see Sim Aloo updated so that the entire Vintage Line will have been updated. In general marketing terms, it's branding. The Star Wars toy brand is strongly associated with 3.75" figures. The only other toy line that seems that wedded to a scale, to me, is He-Man.

Another consideration is that Hasbro has a lot of assets built for the 3.75" line. While some of the molds for the 2000+ figures are doubtless gone, there is still an incredible library of figure pieces that Hasbro can produce without any real development costs. Need a quick figure from RotJ? Slap Brock Starsher's head on Bane Malar's body. Want a cheap-to-deliver background character? Repaint Lushros Dofine's body and mold Tey How's head (although Hasbro would need to accept carping about how a figure that only sits down is locked in a standing pose). Darth Vader? Done. C-3PO? How many varieties do you want? Luke? They could make a box set of every last outfit he wore.

It's more likely that Disney chooses a different licensee in 2018 (or whenever the current license expires) than that Hasbro drops the 3.75" line.
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 am

Oh, I agree, the 3.75 scale is the focal point of the brand when it comes to toys, so I feel it will stick around. The SA line in 3.75 might be phased out though, because I feel at $13, its not as viable. 5 POA may rule the pegs. I just want a quality line at a reasonable pricepoint.
Grimace
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Grimace » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:55 pm

darth_sidious wrote:Oh, I agree, the 3.75 scale is the focal point of the brand when it comes to toys, so I feel it will stick around. The SA line in 3.75 might be phased out though, because I feel at $13, its not as viable. 5 POA may rule the pegs. I just want a quality line at a reasonable pricepoint.

and some actual 3.75 inch product on the pegs would be nice too
my local Targets seem to get one or two figures
my closest TRU is overflowing with Hoth Luke, Yoda and the R5 droid, nothing else
honestly I haven't been in a Walmart in a long time so I don't know what's going on in there

boy oh boy do I miss the days when the action figures were so plentiful they were falling off the pegs
now it's mostly empty pegs
99%

Return to “General Hasbro Discussion”