Image Image Image Image Image

Attack of the Clones Wishlist Thread

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Jodo
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Re: Attack of the Clones Wishlist Thread

Postby Jodo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Kalsh wrote:
my kind of scum wrote:<sigh> so many characters that I want, but I'll stop there. Lists like these are why I always wonder why people say that there is nothing/little for Hasbro left to do...

I say something very similar to that. While there are many characters that would make excellent figures, there are very few figures that have broad support. This is a natural function of Hasbro steadily releasing figures that fans have wanted over the past twenty years.

Let's look at possibly the most celebrated fan request, Wuher. It made a lot of sense for fans to clamor for the crusty bartender in the late '90's since he had lines in one of the most famous scenes in the movie and the cardboard cantina had just been released. But now, our bar is tended, our ice cream maker has been saved from the Empire, and Padme can attire herself for any scene from TPM. Yes, there are many things that could be done. (And I would buy them all.) But which character commands a consensus from fans that he, she, or it needs to be made? Who is today's Wuher?

Dexter Jettster.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:39 pm

^
I'd agree with that. They're both burly, gruff guys who run eating and drinking establishments full of alien patrons and strange foods and beverages. Not much screen time or dialogue (though Dexter got more lines) but left a fairly big impression on audiences.
"We lived through another day... it's a good excuse to celebrate."

-Soul Asylum, "Can't Even Tell"(1994)
Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:54 am

Jodo wrote:
Kalsh wrote:But which character commands a consensus from fans that he, she, or it needs to be made? Who is today's Wuher?

Dexter Jettster.

Huh? Do you mean that as in there is a broad fan consensus that there needs to be a new Dexter Jettster figure? Because the first five people who suggested figures in this thread nominated him exactly zero times. So I don't see it. Hasbro has already made a Dexter Jettster figure. Why would fans put Obi-Wan's four-armed friend at the apex of our collective wish list?

Or do you mean it like Darth Eddie said, that Dexter and Wuher are similar in stature and profession? I'm down with that, but it doesn't really answer the question that I was trying to ask.

Last option: you're messing with me. In which case I tip my cap to you on a job well done.
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:09 am

The issue with Hasbro, is that even if a character is in high demand, it doesn't mean it will be released or even considered. Look at Jocasta Nu, she received thousands of fans choice votes in multiple years, and was only begrudgingly released as a high priced exclusive. Concensus among fans is difficult, but getting Hasbro to see demand might even be harder...
Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:37 am

Jocasta Nu is another example of a character who had pretty wide fan base, and now the figure has been crossed off of our lists.

Fan consensus isn't so much a difficult or easy thing - it's a yes-or-no question. Do most fans, or at least a large plurality, actually want a certain character, vehicle, or beast? The way things look now, the answer seems to be "no". The sail barge petition barely cracked 3,000 sign-ups, and its goal was 10,000.

If there was consensus around something, then there would be the secondary question of whether Hasbro would actually recognize that substantial demand.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:44 am

The Sail Barge goal of 10k signatures was simply crazy considering how many people actually visit the sites consistently. I wish I had been in the loop when that petition was in the works - I would have done everything that I could do get the goal down to a more realistic number, or never even had a set number. As soon as I saw they had set the goal at 10k, I did a facepalm.

There are simply thousands of collectors and parents who buy Star Wars stuff religiously who don't go onto fan sites. I know several hardcore collectors in my area who don't even go online and look at stuff - which leaves me scratching my head, but it's just the way it is.

Unfortunately that petition was set up for failure; and probably gave Hasbro more excuse NOT to make the toy. I think the whole thing backfired, which is very sad. But, it also would have helped had a site like Rebelscum helped promote it. Their readership is very broad and it's a true shame that they didn't support it.

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:03 am

Kalsh wrote:
YAK_Chewie wrote:- Cliegg Lars w/ hover chair (new!)
- Kaminonian Scientist (new!)
- Clone Trooper w/ red fatigues (new sculpt)
- Boba Fett (new!)
- Hermione Bagwa (new!)
- Swokes Swokes (new!)

Deluxe Sets
- Nexu (new!) w/ modified Black Series Padme
- Picador (new!) w/ Droid Factory Sun Fac

Nice list, Chewie. I really like the Geonosian picador's beastie. As my-kind-of-scum noted, that is really the only . . . thing . . . that the Geonosian battle royale is missing from a figure perspective.

I'm curious about how well articulated the figures that you mention would need to be for you to be excited about them. And how the Clone would differ from the TAC version. To me, the only ones that really need SA are Boba Fett and the Clone. Although it would be nice for Clieg so he can recline appropriately in his hover-chair. The other three are more set pieces that would enhance a scene just by standing there and looking pretty.

Yeah, the beast would be great, I'd love to have 2-3 of those things. Also, I think a completely new Nexu, with ball joints would be a lot of fun. The original toy is cool, but really I think they could totally wow us with a new effort towards it.

For the figures I mentioned to make me happy, I think it would be a mistake to not go all out with them. If they are limited articulation, buyers in general won't see value, especially at today's increased price point. The better the figure, the more people will show interest. And people like me, who are customizers, will buy multiples rather than just one of each if we really like them. Customizers (and there are hundreds, if not thousands that are pretty active in customizing), will often buy 3-4 times the amount of the regular collector, because we are crazy in our own way. Here's my breakdown:

Cliegg Lars w/ hover chair - Obviously he'd be a first time figure made, so he would be all new... I'd think this may even work out as an exclusive like Jocasta Nu... I think he should be super articulated, with a removable/alternate leg from the knee down... kind of like Ponda Baba, and of course have his hover chair.

Kaminonian Scientist - I'd like to see something similar in sculpt quality to Lama Su... with some added articulation, removable gear, or a computer accessory - something fun and interesting.

Clone Trooper w/ red fatigues - The TAC figure to me, was a bad figure when it was first released and gets worse every year. I think the snap on armor took away from their tooling budget or something, and his stance is very awkward. I'd like to see an all new sculpt with SA treatment... and they can even make a variant in blue fatigues... same sculpt, just different color plastic! Hell, make a 2-pk!

Boba Fett - I think SA is needed at this point. They made the CW version with great articulation, a new AOTC Boba Fett should be treated with a great sculpt, removable soft goods poncho, and fantastic articulation.

Hermione Bagwa - This character is obscure, but I think she'd do great if they gave her SA treatment and made sure the sculpting details were on par with today's standards. Give her a tray and a couple mugs of Jawa Juice and I think you have a figure that would avoid pegwarmer status.

Swokes Swokes - I love ugly aliens - and I think this figure also would deserve super articulation. The more attention to detail, the more popular the figure will be.

:wink:
Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:09 am

I believe that the 10,000 goal came from the understanding that Hasbro doesn't really look at polls until they hit that number. This ignores that different products would have different thresholds. So there was the smallest amount of thought put into the number. Unfortunately, only putting in the smallest amount of thought led to data that might suggest that the Sail Barge would be a failure. Not the intended goal.

Fan sites basically get a sampling of Star Wars action figure buyers, with a skew (it seems reasonable to believe) towards collectors. Gathering data from fan sites can be useful if interpreted carefully.
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:13 am

Cliegg Lars has pretty much been at the very top of my AOTC figure wishlist for a decade and every once in a while we get teased with a rumor that he's on a short list to be made and released, then nothing. We've gotten at least one figure of every Lars and (movie) Skywalker thus far except Cliegg and since he was Anakin's stepfather it would only make sense for them to get around to him at some point even with the new movies on the way. At this point they can make him an overpriced exclusive and I wouldn't really care so long as he got made and had great attention to detail and good paint apps. All we can do is wait and see because they're probably not in a rush to go back and make any Episode II characters that aren't Jedi Knights, Sith Lords or Phase I Clones.

Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:53 am

YAK_Chewie wrote:Yeah, the beast would be great, I'd love to have 2-3 of those things. Also, I think a completely new Nexu, with ball joints would be a lot of fun. The original toy is cool, but really I think they could totally wow us with a new effort towards it.

For the figures I mentioned to make me happy, I think it would be a mistake to not go all out with them. If they are limited articulation, buyers in general won't see value, especially at today's increased price point. The better the figure, the more people will show interest. And people like me, who are customizers, will buy multiples rather than just one of each if we really like them. Customizers (and there are hundreds, if not thousands that are pretty active in customizing), will often buy 3-4 times the amount of the regular collector, because we are crazy in our own way.

I'm listening to On the Road, and crazy people in that book are a necessity for an interesting life.

Cool stuff, and a good point on the possibilities with the unarmored clone. I alternate between really liking and being really irritated with that character's TAC figure.

Customizers are an interesting wrinkle in market research, since most surveys miss that they will buy multiples but are very leery about letting people indicate that they plan to buy more than one of an item. (People have an incentive to lie and say that they will buy WAY more than they actually intend in order to make the proposed product look more appealing.)
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:06 pm

Nice lists. Here are my top ten wants for figures... which will likely be tough to do since most are the wrong gender plus don't have much action to speak of.

1. Padme Amidala (Meadow Picnic). Featured in both of the movie posters and probably the coolest outfit she wears in the movie (in my opinion).
2. Padme Amidala (Lake Retreat). Another cool outfit
3. San Hill. An update like Plagueis would be nice.
4. Tikkes
5. Dorme
6. Cliegg Lars (with hoverchair)
7. Padme Amidala (Senator) Won't get repetitive.
8. Padme Amidala (Going Home)
9. Lumas Etima A cool background Jedi
10. Boba Fett Need a SA version of this little punk.
11. Shmi Skywalker (Tusken Prisoner)... yeah, probably will never be done due to the nature of the scene.
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby Paulskywalker » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:10 pm

Hey, they did torture Han Solo, why not Shimi.
If i wanted figures like Rebels and Legends series i'd build a time machine. Even if i did want them, i'd probably still need a time machine..
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:31 pm

I've been an advocate for a Tusken Camp Shmi Skywalker for a long while now. As mentioned above they made a Han Solo complete with a grisly and large electrical torture rack and a grimacing and dissheveled figure so why not a similar Shmi Skywalker? We've never gotten a super-articulated Shmi figure and the last (and only existing) version of her was released all the way back in the summer of 2001. The mother of Darth Vader/the Chosen One deserves a little more love and attention!

Kalsh
Scavenger

Postby Kalsh » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:06 am

Darth Vlad's Clone wrote:Nice lists. Here are my top ten wants for figures... which will likely be tough to do since most are the wrong gender plus don't have much action to speak of.

1. Padme Amidala (Meadow Picnic). Featured in both of the movie posters and probably the coolest outfit she wears in the movie (in my opinion).
2. Padme Amidala (Lake Retreat). Another cool outfit
3. San Hill. An update like Plagueis would be nice.
4. Tikkes
5. Dorme
6. Cliegg Lars (with hoverchair)
7. Padme Amidala (Senator) Won't get repetitive.
8. Padme Amidala (Going Home)
9. Lumas Etima A cool background Jedi
10. Boba Fett Need a SA version of this little punk.
11. Shmi Skywalker (Tusken Prisoner)... yeah, probably will never be done due to the nature of the scene.

[Start channeling Spinal Tap.] It goes up to eleven. [Stop channeling Spinal Tap.]

I hadn't known who Lumas Etima was, but according to Wookieepedia, the human in the Jedi Knight Army three-pack from the original Clone Wars series is him. That's the three pack that also had unidentified Rodian and Twi'lek Jedi. Not that that figure should necessarily suffice as a final version of Lumas.
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:30 am

Cordé and Dormé could be released in a 2-pack, although I doubt that's how they'd do it if they even make the two Handmaidens in the first place. Still, there's always hope they'll go back and make a few of these characters!

Return to “General Hasbro Discussion”