Image Image Image Image Image

Would the return of TVC really do anything?

Any chat Hasbro related. This includes unofficial Product Lists / Rumors (hearsay).

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Would the return of TVC really do anything?

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:33 pm

The return of TVC is imminent, Hasbro has said it's a matter of "when" not "if".
But that raises the question: Does it matter? Will Hasbro smack 5POA figures on a TVC card-back and call it a day?
As some of you may know I don't hate 5POA but if TVC returns it HAS to be SA, Hasbro should know that when us collectors whine and complain for the return of TVC we're not whining about the lack of the TVC card-back but the lack of TVC quality figures.

So, will Hasbro resurrect TVC the way it should? (SA, flawless paint apps)

Or will Hasbro make it a retailer exclusive, jack up the price, and smack 5POA figures on a TVC card-back and say that's that?

What do you think?
Passionate Star Wars fan/collector for all my life, Troop builder, teenager.

Other forum account:
https://disqus.com/by/GHuxy15/
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: Would the return of TVC really do anything?

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:27 pm

Good topic, and however Hasbro approaches this, I believe will either "begin to make things right" or will add more damage to the hobby.

If they start putting 5POA figures on vintage cards, I think it's going to be a sign of the end of collecting for a lot of people. Sure, it will probably look cool and all, but it's very clear that a huge percentage of people open their figures and want to be able to pose them... and this is't just adults. It's the kids too. The kids really are not into 5POA, which Hasbro may or may not realize. I don't think they can really comprehend that the adult market is still much larger than they want to give it credit for. Since I do open all my stuff, I'd be okay with 5POA on vintage cards if we also got SA figures on regular cards. Cardbacks really don't matter to me.

On any note, the whole problem really stems from the asinine approach in 2012... and while a lot of people blame TPM figures in vintage as the issue, I don't think that was the only probably as to why we now have 5POA figures. It's because the Movie Heroes line was an utter disaster too. That line was $10 per figure, for CRAP-ASS figures.

I mean, just look at how bad that lineup was.

Movie Heroes Wave 1
Shocktrooper - they used the "quick draw" figure
Super Battle Droid - they used the God awful 2002 mold
R2-D2 - eh, not a great figure they used but was acceptable
Battle Droid - bad mold, plus we went from 2 super articulated battle droids in a pack the previous year to this single one that was worse!
Darth Maul - inferior mold they used from 2002, they had much better options
Darth Vader - 2002 mold... one of the worse Vader figures ever made!
General Grievous - a really poor version of Grievous
Obi Wan Kenobi - great figure, but the same figure as in the TVC line at the same time!
Yoda - this was the "spinning Yoda" from ROTS, worst Yoda ever? Or at least one of the worst.
Qui Gon Jinn - great figure, but the same figure as in the TVC line at the same time!
Clone Trooper - not a good figure, but could have been worse (I guess)
Destroyer Droid - this was the stupid version with firing missiles

^ That was could not be worse conceived. It might be the worse case of figures Hasbro has ever produced. It was just shocking to see such ignorance.

But... it's not like the Clone Wars wave was that great either!

Clone Wars Wave 1
Anakin Skywalker - okay, good figure... and new tooling... but what was the point? Why waste that on another Anakin?
Clone Trooper - good figure, can't complain about this one
Savage Opress - why did the go with the topless version...? it was already easy to get - everyone wanted the armored one!
Cad Bane - sigh... they had three existing Cad Bane versions to choose from, and went with the WORST one... just stupid
Yoda - good choice, no complaints
Plo Koon - a cold weather repack version in this wave? made no sense... why not Darth Sidious that nobody could find?
Commander Cody - decent choice, no complaints
Mace Windu - nobody needed this again
Chewbacca - good choice, no complaints
Aqua Droid - meh, decent but nobody really needed this again

...anyways, sorry to go off topic... but the horribly planned launch of those two lines transformed the hobby into what it is today. Retailers took a huge hit because neither kids nor adults wanted any of that crap. So, Hasbro's approach was to go cheaper. When the demand for your product takes a plunge, you find a way to make it more attractive by lowering the price. Hence, 5POA...

BTW, this thread here was an original rant about this disaster, posted in early 2012 - Hasbro Suggestion Thread

:?
GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:59 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:Good topic, and however Hasbro approaches this, I believe will either "begin to make things right" or will add more damage to the hobby.

If they start putting 5POA figures on vintage cards, I think it's going to be a sign of the end of collecting for a lot of people. Sure, it will probably look cool and all, but it's very clear that a huge percentage of people open their figures and want to be able to pose them... and this is't just adults. It's the kids too. The kids really are not into 5POA, which Hasbro may or may not realize. I don't think they can really comprehend that the adult market is still much larger than they want to give it credit for. Since I do open all my stuff, I'd be okay with 5POA on vintage cards if we also got SA figures on regular cards. Cardbacks really don't matter to me.

On any note, the whole problem really stems from the asinine approach in 2012... and while a lot of people blame TPM figures in vintage as the issue, I don't think that was the only probably as to why we now have 5POA figures. It's because the Movie Heroes line was an utter disaster too. That line was $10 per figure, for CRAP-ASS figures.

I mean, just look at how bad that lineup was.

Movie Heroes Wave 1
Shocktrooper - they used the "quick draw" figure
Super Battle Droid - they used the God awful 2002 mold
R2-D2 - eh, not a great figure they used but was acceptable
Battle Droid - bad mold, plus we went from 2 super articulated battle droids in a pack the previous year to this single one that was worse!
Darth Maul - inferior mold they used from 2002, they had much better options
Darth Vader - 2002 mold... one of the worse Vader figures ever made!
General Grievous - a really poor version of Grievous
Obi Wan Kenobi - great figure, but the same figure as in the TVC line at the same time!
Yoda - this was the "spinning Yoda" from ROTS, worst Yoda ever? Or at least one of the worst.
Qui Gon Jinn - great figure, but the same figure as in the TVC line at the same time!
Clone Trooper - not a good figure, but could have been worse (I guess)
Destroyer Droid - this was the stupid version with firing missiles

^ That was could not be worse conceived. It might be the worse case of figures Hasbro has ever produced. It was just shocking to see such ignorance.

But... it's not like the Clone Wars wave was that great either!

Clone Wars Wave 1
Anakin Skywalker - okay, good figure... and new tooling... but what was the point? Why waste that on another Anakin?
Clone Trooper - good figure, can't complain about this one
Savage Opress - why did the go with the topless version...? it was already easy to get - everyone wanted the armored one!
Cad Bane - sigh... they had three existing Cad Bane versions to choose from, and went with the WORST one... just stupid
Yoda - good choice, no complaints
Plo Koon - a cold weather repack version in this wave? made no sense... why not Darth Sidious that nobody could find?
Commander Cody - decent choice, no complaints
Mace Windu - nobody needed this again
Chewbacca - good choice, no complaints
Aqua Droid - meh, decent but nobody really needed this again

...anyways, sorry to go off topic... but the horribly planned launch of those two lines transformed the hobby into what it is today. Retailers took a huge hit because neither kids nor adults wanted any of that crap. So, Hasbro's approach was to go cheaper. When the demand for your product takes a plunge, you find a way to make it more attractive by lowering the price. Hence, 5POA...

BTW, this thread here was an original rant about this disaster, posted in early 2012 - Hasbro Suggestion Thread

:?

The Movie Heroes line was a whole bunch of "Why the hell are you releasing this figure again?!"
And the only figures in TVC that I would EVER find during that time was TPM figures, I got so sick and tired of looking at the Naboo security figures I wanted to throw them across the score.

Other forum account:
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:08 pm

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/conte ... &sid=18783

Based on the interview in the above post, I think Hasbro is telling us SA 3.75 isn't all that viable anymore. At the current $13 pricepoint it cant return as the main line, and apparently isn't doing as well as the basic line or the 6 inch line, though its sales status is still good enough to keep it around...at least that's what I took from it. I honestly think they're going to phase it out, and put 5 POA on vintage cards as a way of tossing collectors a bone. I think they'll start to reintroduce extra POA as the years / movies continue.
GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:20 pm

darth_sidious wrote:http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18783

Based on the interview in the above post, I think Hasbro is telling us SA 3.75 isn't all that viable anymore. At the current $13 pricepoint it cant return as the main line, and apparently isn't doing as well as the basic line or the 6 inch line, though its sales status is still good enough to keep it around...at least that's what I took from it. I honestly think they're going to phase it out, and put 5 POA on vintage cards as a way of tossing collectors a bone. I think they'll start to reintroduce extra POA as the years / movies continue.

JTA has said their Q &A is a lot more positive, look for that interview in the next few days.

Other forum account:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Unfortunately the SWAN QnA was all about 6" scale stuff. Missed opportunity.

:wink:
GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:34 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:Unfortunately the SWAN QnA was all about 6" scale stuff. Missed opportunity.

I guess not having every interview being about 3.75" figs is a good thing.

But most of them are which should tell Hasbro something....
Last edited by GrandMoffHux14 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Other forum account:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:32 pm

I am enjoying a lot of the 6" stuff, I have around 50 figures now... but 3.75" will always be my passion... and I still have expectations that Hasbro will bring back a better 3.75" line again... the glory days of 2005-2012 may never return, but I do think things will improve...

GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:35 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:I am enjoying a lot of the 6" stuff, I have around 50 figures now... but 3.75" will always be my passion... and I still have expectations that Hasbro will bring back a better 3.75" line again... the glory days of 2005-2012 may never return, but I do think things will improve...

I don't have a single 6" figure... I just don't want them.

Other forum account:
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:28 am

I still only have one 6 inch figure, Ahsoka. I've bought other 6-8 inch figures from other properties over the years, but when it comes to SW, I'm sticking to 3.75 scale. If Hasbro drops the SA figures, I'll continue to buy the basic line - I wont be shifting to anything else. I just hope when TVC returns, diversity comes back to the SA figures, because that's the main reason it interests me. If they aren't going to bring back obscure characters, it would greatly diminish the value of the line for me...
Jodo
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Jodo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:09 am

If I was just starting out I would definitely go with 6 inch figures, but because I'm 20 years into 3.75 figures...I'd better stick to those. :lol:

Personally, TVC cardbacks wouldn't do anything for me. I open my stuff, so there just isn't any desire to see that design return.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:56 am

Jodo wrote:If I was just starting out I would definitely go with 6 inch figures, but because I'm 20 years into 3.75 figures...I'd better stick to those. :lol:

Personally, TVC cardbacks wouldn't do anything for me. I open my stuff, so there just isn't any desire to see that design return.

I am the same way, Jodo.
If I was just starting to collect I would be buying all of the 6" figures...But, I've been collecting 3.75" for awhile and I'm not switching scales anytime soon.

Other forum account:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:27 pm

I think what you guys are saying "if you were just starting now, you'd buy 6 inch figures" is what Hasbro is banking on - a new/emerging market approach for adult collectors...

darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Yeah, that seems like their focus with the 6 inch line, and I don't think they expect new collectors to buy everything, like the bulk of old collectors once did with the 3.75 line. They're likely betting on the new collector market to replace the old one, if longtime collectors don't transition to 5 POA or 6 inch figures.

Had I not grown up with 3.75 figures in the 80s, its possible I'd collect 6 inch figures, but even if I did, I'd only buy a fraction of the figures I do in 3.75 scale. Many of the 6 inch figures, while nicely sculpted, simply aren't interesting enough to own in a larger scale. I'd have to be attached to a character to add them to my collection.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Yeah, I don't collect any of the prequel stuff in 6" scale.

Most of what I have is OT characters - but not all of them, nor do I want them all.

I have about 15 TFA ones, 3 Rogue One figures in that scale, and the rest OT.

Return to “General Hasbro Discussion”