Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By mercuryartstudios
DanOfTheDead wrote:
YAK_Chewie wrote:That's really nice of you but you're being much too kind - I find myself in awe of your work, I really think you've turned into one of the elite customizers.

What brands of paint are you using these days? The results are amazing.

Also, back to your Corpse Droid - that skull came from the skeleton that came in the GI JOE DVD set, regarding Serpentor. Correct?

:wink:

I mixing my own actually... I buy the cheap folk art or apple barrel or whatever the inexpensive acrylics are, and mix in a bit of water and Testor's Model Masters Gloss... and I really love the results. I buy those tiny mixing cups with the attached lids, which also makes it easy to mix up a custom color and keep it around a while.

Indeed, that's the Joe skull, I painted the sockets black to make them look deeper.

=====================

Is that really working good for ya?! i tried doing that once before and seems like the consistency isnt quite as good, maybe the ratio is not working that well....what brand of those realy cheap acrylics are u using?
By YAK_Chewie
I believe he said Folk Art and Apple Barrel - that's pretty much what I use, along with Delta Ceramcoat. Very inexpensive products. I tend to mix those brands together, with a touch of water. On occasion, I've mixed them with higher quality paints and had pretty good results, but haven't tried Testor's as of yet.

:wink:
By DanOfTheDead
Yup, Apple Barrel and Folk Art... though some colors seems better than others. Adding the Testors's clear gloss seems to make the difference though... When I first got into customizing, I bought a lot of Testor's model masters but it went bad and I was never all that pleased with it to begin with. But the clear gloss added to other acrylics makes a nice, almost plastic sheen.

I want to try the Citadel paints eventually, but I'm happy with my cheap mix for now.
By DanOfTheDead

Here's a quick follow up custom... The Animated Iron Man Crimson Dynamo (I think that's the base figure...) looked at lot like Elbe for the KotOR comic to me, so I figured I pick one up and practice some dry brushing on him for this month's theme. I like how he came out, experimented with not painting the "armor" on him entirely symmetrically to make him look a little more worn in.

Shown with the Corpse Droid for a sense of scale.
By The_Rancor_Spankor
When is the deadline for the Feral Droids contest? I've never submitted a custom before. I might want to get in on this one.
By DanOfTheDead
So, evidently I like working on droids. Cheap fodder at the comic book store, and I was inspired to do 2 more.

First, a better shot of the bulk loader:

Next is a Standard Load Droid:
I bought my first magna-guard at the comic book store for $3. I'd wanted one to customize for a long time, and was really disappointed with the lack of articulation. Cut off the neck and head, shortened the arms, and gave him new legs. I liked how he looked like a smaller, almost skeletal version of the larger bulk loader. This marked my first real attempt to sculpt anything, though it's just the flat area where the neck stump was. I think it's a mostly seamless job for a first attempt. Black base coat and more dry brushing fun, and he was good to go!
Recipe:
GRIEVOUS'S BODYGUARD (Battle Attack!) - Torso, Arms
MB-RA7 (Build-A-Droid) - Lower Legs
YVH-1 (Build-A-Droid) - Upper Legs

And here's a Maintenance Droid
He's inspired by the "Mantoid" gladiator from the original Clone Wars series. Again, just a quick black base, and some light drybrushing. I learned a new technique for working with droid eyes. I bought a white paint pen, and dotted all the areas I wanted to be red, so when I painted the eyes red they went on with a single coat and were much more vivid. Strongly recommended for getting colors like this to pop.
Recipe:
FX-6 - Head
IG-LANCER DROID - Body, Legs
SP-4 & JN-66 (Research Droids) - Arms, neck

And here's a group shot I had a little too much fun with:
By CUYVALDAR
DanOfTheDead wrote:So, evidently I like working on droids. Cheap fodder at the comic book store, and I was inspired to do 2 more.

First, a better shot of the bulk loader:

Next is a Standard Load Droid:
I bought my first magna-guard at the comic book store for $3. I'd wanted one to customize for a long time, and was really disappointed with the lack of articulation. Cut off the neck and head, shortened the arms, and gave him new legs. I liked how he looked like a smaller, almost skeletal version of the larger bulk loader. This marked my first real attempt to sculpt anything, though it's just the flat area where the neck stump was. I think it's a mostly seamless job for a first attempt. Black base coat and more dry brushing fun, and he was good to go!
Recipe:
GRIEVOUS'S BODYGUARD (Battle Attack!) - Torso, Arms
MB-RA7 (Build-A-Droid) - Lower Legs
YVH-1 (Build-A-Droid) - Upper Legs

And here's a Maintenance Droid
He's inspired by the "Mantoid" gladiator from the original Clone Wars series. Again, just a quick black base, and some light drybrushing. I learned a new technique for working with droid eyes. I bought a white paint pen, and dotted all the areas I wanted to be red, so when I painted the eyes red they went on with a single coat and were much more vivid. Strongly recommended for getting colors like this to pop.
Recipe:
FX-6 - Head
IG-LANCER DROID - Body, Legs
SP-4 & JN-66 (Research Droids) - Arms, neck

And here's a group shot I had a little too much fun with:

Hey Dan, where did you find that Elbee looking droid?
By DanOfTheDead
CUYVALDAR wrote:Hey Dan, where did you find that Elbee looking droid?

He's the Crimson Dynamo from the animated Iron Man style figures, they're usually around the Marvel and Wolverine figures at Toys R Us.
By lugo_matapollos
Hi everyone, it's about time to post my first custom figure at the forums, my very firs participation. it's an old school security and patrol droid, it is a walker and has become obsolete because of the repulsor lift technology...some how his programing got troubles whit the time and the lack of maintenience. I dont have come whit a name for it... now he can not tell who is friend or foe, so getting close to it is not a good idea. here are the pictures. let me know if you liked it or not-

so long. Adios.
By DanOfTheDead
Wow! Welcome aboard! Well made, well painted, and well photographed! Nice work, certainly looking forward to more of your work!

I think he needs a name like BFG with that many guns!
By stroebel83
I really want to get into the customs but I am not sure what paints to use. It looks like maybe acrylic with some drybrush metallic finish. What is the best way to take figures apart then put them together without rough seems or uneven finishes. These customs are amazing so all I can do is ask advice at this point. Every month the work her just blows me away
Community fodder box...

I received the box. I need whoever is next to PM m[…]

I like it, but Palpatine looks really animated....[…]

I made the Knight's alcove. Like the COD, this wa[…]

Continuing the idea of "what if The Clone War[…]

Yakfinities #73 - The Unknown Regions

Ruthless pirates hailing from the Unknown Regions,[…]

TLJ Purchases and Finds

I actually like the TLJ A-Wing better than the OT […]

Retail Sales, Clearances, Etc.

$7.99 A-Wings is so crazy. I'm surprised they are[…]

have plenty of the new EE a wings exclusives. a[…]