Image Image Image Image Image

YAKFINITIES #35 - Video Game Characters

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Darth_Cuddles
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Re: YAKFINITIES #35 - VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS

Postby Darth_Cuddles » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:36 am

Darth Bobo, great Mira, a KOTOR 2 charcter I'm quite fond of! I think you've done her great justice here!

Chewie, your Rodian Thug is wicked cool! I really like the outfit, especially the chunky lower legs! Great work as always!

LadyIrithyl, sorry your Jolee didn't work out, but you made a great start, I'm very much looking forward to seeing a finished version one day!
Do not underestimate the power of the Cuddly Side!

My friend's webcomic that's out of this world, check it out - if you dare!
Mandalore
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Mandalore » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:19 pm

OMG at that Rodian Thug. I was playing TFU yesterday and I was thinking what an awesome custom that would be. Chewie, you just made my dream figure :shock:

Jeditaz , I love the detachable backpack/legs on Kazdan Paratus--usually I just super glue bits if it's for my own collection so it's amazing to see customizers who can retain all the articulation and interactivity of a piece.

LadyIrithyl, I can't believe you made that using paperclay. I've tried it before and it came out a mess (if its that air drying stuff I'm thinking of). The bulky look would actually look great for some L4D customs i'm trying out...I'll have to try and follow your example.

Darth Bobo, that's the best Mira I've seen yet, great paint app, looks like a real habro toy!
Mandalore
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Mandalore » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:38 pm

The B.A.D. HK-47 never made it to my side of the galaxy (Canada) so I made my own using an HK-50, sawed off POTF sandtrooper gun and a new paintjob. As HK would say, hope ya like it, meatbags!

Darth Bobo
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Darth Bobo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:28 am

That HK-47 is sweet man. One of my fav characters.
That Gun looks great, i will be chopping a couple down when i get home.
The worn paint job is right on. Great Job
stroebel83
Teras Kasi

Postby stroebel83 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am

I love the metallic sheen on the paint job
"From Endor to Hoth/ Ripley to Spock
I'll find what you want/ But there's gonna be a cost
See, my name is Boba Fett/ I know my [shots are] tight
Start not actin'right/ You're frozen in carbonite"
MC Chris "Fett's Vette"
mercuryartstudios

Postby mercuryartstudios » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Hey guy's!! It's been like forever since i entered a yakfinities contest!! did u miss me? lol!! anyway due to time consuming commissions and other busy areas in my life i've barely been able to participate a whole lot so please forgive me i will try my hardest after the C5 madness is over and clear my schedule some more.

so here is my entry.

DARTH DESOLOUS from TFU

I wanted a different take on him, especially since the usual base figures lack too many things, articulation, bad sculpts, bad parts the sculpts are amazing but not what i wanted for this character.

HEAD- tion medon
BODY - ROC doctor GI JOE
ARMOR- CUT OFF FROM TION MEDON
SKIRT and hands- UTAPAUN WARRIOR
CAPE-VYNIL

As you can see there is NO SCULPTING!!! I decided not to sculpt any of the details, i wanted to make him fully articulated and yet original to the screen depictions which made him look like a regular utapaun warrior with a lightsaber and lost helmet.

Hope you guys like him he was definetly fun to make!! Also keep an eye for the next update on my thread should be in the next couple of weeks.

take it easy and keep those customs coming everyone nice job!!
DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:27 pm

LadyIrithyl wrote:I have to say they all look amazing. I'm really digging Kazdan, and Serra Keto.

I've had to scrap my entry, I was working on Jolee Bindo, and semi finished it. But his upper torso which I built from scratch came out much larger than I hoped, in comparison to the rest of his body. I definately needed a smaller torso before I started using paperclay (which is a new medium for me)

That is just to show you where I was at. Not pleased with it. So don't take it as an entry or anything. I tried something new, and it didn't work out. Hopefully I can make a proper Jolee. But it won't happen in time for this Yakfinities.

I just read this post.

While I can understand your frustrations with trying a new technique, this hardly what I'd consider a failure! "Not an entry?" No way! Pushing your limits as a customizer, trying something new, this is exactly what Yakfinities should be about! We're open to all skill levels! Some people are just starting out with part swaps and a little paint... this is a full fledged custom, and an excellent attempt at scratch building that torso. I've had plenty of customs that didn't come out how I wanted, but they were all part of the practice and technique building it takes to get better.

I'll be looking forward if you DO take another shot at Jolee, but by no means would I call this version a failure.
Darth Phantom
Pod Racer

Postby Darth Phantom » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:21 pm

DanOfTheDead wrote:I just read this post.

While I can understand your frustrations with trying a new technique, this hardly what I'd consider a failure! "Not an entry?" No way! Pushing your limits as a customizer, trying something new, this is exactly what Yakfinities should be about! We're open to all skill levels! Some people are just starting out with part swaps and a little paint... this is a full fledged custom, and an excellent attempt at scratch building that torso. I've had plenty of customs that didn't come out how I wanted, but they were all part of the practice and technique building it takes to get better.

I'll be looking forward if you DO take another shot at Jolee, but by no means would I call this version a failure.

I totally do agree with Dan. Great work especially because you started from scratch. And again, please consider my first post just as a way of trying a different method!

Mandalore: Great work with your HK-50 repaint. In fact, with the cool metallic paint job, your HK-47 looks much better than Hasbro's original release, in my opinion. Why getting a Hasbro figure when you can always do something better through customizing :wink:

Mercuryartstudios: Mike, really like your fully articulated Darth Desolous. He is the best of all Desolous customs I have seen. Great paint scheme and weathering effects. Nice that even his hip is articulated.

All right, I finished the two custom figures I talked about just half an hour ago. The will be my last entries for this round of YAKfinities. Funnily, both of the following figures a version2 customs of the character:

TFU Royal Guard (red)

Recipe:
Head: SAGA "Royal Guard"
Torso, arms, legs, belt: VOTC "Stormtrooper"
Skirt: TPM "Darth Maul"

And here is a character from The Old Republic video game:

Lord Angral v.2.0

Recipe:
Head: POTF2 "Dengar"
Torso, upper arms, upper legs: GI Joe R.O.C. "Duke"
Lower arms, lower legs: GI Joe R.O.C. "Cobra Viper"
Skirt: Evolutions "Darth Maul"
Cloak/Cape: ROTS "Bail Organa"
Ars30
Scavenger

Postby Ars30 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Here's My Entry From The Force Unleashed Starkiller in Desert Survival Gear:

Recipe:
Head: TLC Apprentice Sith Lord
Upper arms & Torso: TVSC Tusken Raider
Legs: TLC Secret Apprentice
Lower Arms: Random GI Joe
Spikes: Tooth Pick Ends
Ars30
Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to? _ George Carlin
_Dan_
Nerf Herder

Postby _Dan_ » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:01 am

FINALLY! Some KotOR characters! The other entries are awesome too guys, keep up the great work.

I've got a few things up my sleeve, hopefully I can enter them before the contest ends.
Darth_Cuddles
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth_Cuddles » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:59 am

Mandalore, great HK-47, I too think the metallic sheen is a very nice touch!

mercuryartstudios, loving your Darth Desolus, really nice use of parts to make a great figure!

Darth Phantom, very nice figs, the Royal Guard is cool, but I paricularly like Lord Angral!

Ars30, fantastic take on Starkiller! The extensive use of soft good makes the figure really stand out!

Incom
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Incom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:04 am

Wow, the ammount and variety of entries is astonishing! Great work too, all of you! Haven't got time to enter this one, unless I were to enter my Devil Jin character. But it's better to stick to SW game characters :wink:

Can't wait for the wrap up with most likely even more entries!
Follow me around the web
ImageImage
LadyIrithyl
Nerf Herder

Postby LadyIrithyl » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:33 am

mercuryartstudios - Darth Desolous looks very menacing. I love the paint app on the skirt/kilt/? (proper term escapes me)

Darth Phantom - Lord Angral looks very cool. Even though I don't know the character.

Mandalore - Again great metallic paint on HK

DanoftheDead - Thank you for the kind words.

Ars30 - Great looking starkiller. What material did you use for the soft goods?
mercuryartstudios

Postby mercuryartstudios » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:45 am

LADY IRITHYL: THANKS A BUNCH, I WANTED TO GIVE HIM A MORE UNIQUE LOOK THAN THE VIDEO GAME VERSION AND IT TURNED OUT QUITE WEL... SASH, SKIRT, KILT, DRESS FOR DUDES...HAHAHA!!

DARTH PHANTOM- dude i swear u picked my brain for lord angral!! lol! i have the same body base, but i am using a DOC cobra head and AVES lol!!!! your entries are definetly awesome buddy!!

DARTH CUDDLES- Thanks on the kudos man check out my thread and drop some love lol!!
Darth_Cuddles
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth_Cuddles » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:55 pm

mercuryartstudios wrote:DARTH CUDDLES- Thanks on the kudos man check out my thread and drop some love lol!!

I already did! Your stuff is beyond awesome, you've got some really great pieces over there! :wink:

Return to “YAKfinities”