5%
Expanded Universe (pre-Disney)
26%

Total votes: 19
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Yakfinities #61 - CUSTOM DIORAMAS

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:01 pm

The winning category is Custom Dioramas. Should be fun!

Custom entries will be accepted July 1 - Sept 30.

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: Yakfinities #61 - Discussion Phase

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:40 pm

Guess I'll start the party...

Here's a few ideas that popped into my head, without looking back at previous customizing challenges...

- Children
- Protocol Droids
- Prisoners of War
- Battle Damaged Troops
- Battlefield Medics/Surgeons

darthapathy
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby darthapathy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:22 pm

How about stuff Hasbro won't ever make again? This would be PT, OT, and EU :wink:

Seriously though, another round of OT would be cool. Maybe a PT round.

Other than that
Imperial defectors
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:45 pm

I think EU / Legends would be great, considering Hasbro wont be making anymore figures in the foreseeable future.
Utinniii
Droid

Postby Utinniii » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:30 pm

I’m making a plea for dioramas. At first, I didn’t like the idea because it seemed harder, but as I thought about it, I realized that it would be an excellent choice. They can be large or small, so it doesn’t have to be to labor intensive or large scale.

First, Summer might be a good time for this challenge, as some of us will have more free time (or less school responsibilities).

Second, several of us are creating Photo novels, and this will allow them time and focus to create some of their backdrops.

It will also give everyone a place to display their awesome customs. We’ve put in a lot of work so we should show them off in a cool display.

It has the advantage that it can have any (all) the other suggestions (throw some tribal aliens on a cliff face), be of any era, and most importantly, will be challenging for most everyone and might take some of us out of our comfort zones.

It might also be just the excuse needed for someone to finally tackle something they've put off for far too long.

Droids or vehicles would be OK, but if given the choice, I’m voting for dioramas. Who’s with me?
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:45 pm

I second dioramas! :mrgreen:

Vehicles would be a labor intensive one, but it would also be really rewarding...Genre Crossovers would be cool too.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Utinniii
Droid

Postby Utinniii » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:59 pm

For the most part, unless we do left-handed Rebel hair stylists with comb-overs, I have stuff from pretty much any category. Heck, I could do another 3 months of creatures and still not make it a quarter way through my wish list.

I prefer broader choices since they offer more diversity and it is easier to find parts. I have many more astromechs than protocol droids I want to make, but I also have war droids, communication droids, concept droids I also want to make.

(someone is going to second the stylist now, I know it)
JawaKing
Droid

Postby JawaKing » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:54 am

I like the "Battlefield Medics/Surgeons" suggestion, as well as "Protocol Droids." Also, I am still a fan of Tribal Aliens. I have even less time in the Summer, as I am stuck inside all Winter. Struggling to get my Creature done for this month.
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:12 pm

I like the diorama idea as well, I've always wanted to put one together - this challenge would push me to make one! :wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: Yakfinities #61 - VOTE NOW

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:26 pm

Ok - good ideas all -- voting is now open ---

Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:50 am

I'm really hoping that the diorama option wins. :)
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Utinniii
Droid

Postby Utinniii » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Well, the most people that have voted (recently) is 26 so all horses are still in this race.

I'm hoping it wins too. If it does, I'll be voting tribal aliens next time. Jawaking has patiently waited long enough.

If I had my way, the next 4 contests would be Tribal, EU, Mash-up, then vehicles. The first 3 being popular choices over the last several contests and the last one being a good challenge. I put it last since we would need a break between it an Dioramas, and if we knew it was coming then we could start gathering materials for it.
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:07 pm

I suggested EU, but went with dioramas because it sparked an idea I've been wanting to try. :wink:
JawaKing
Droid

Postby JawaKing » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks Utinniii for the plug! I know if Dioramas wins, I don't think I'll attempt to do one. Too little time to sit in the workshop in the summer months. But I still have hopes to get my Creature finished in time. I'm still hoping for a break after Creatures to do something simpler before going on to larger projects like Dioramas or Vehicles.
Utinniii
Droid

Postby Utinniii » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:39 pm

I completely understand that some people will have time/space restrictions.

However, I hope people make an attempt anyway. Remember, it doesn't have to be big, or permanent. (And if you don't make one you can still participate by commenting on every one else's dioramas.)

The interior of the Good Ship Natal (in my Rathtar photo) took less than half an hour to build, and many of the backgrounds I've done have taken less than a couple of hours. My Jawa on the repulsor sled took 5 minutes because I took it in a natural setting.

Print out interiors, screen shots and do something for the base; add some figures and accessories and you're done. Think of the Kenner cardboard playsets.

Plastering some foamboard or styrofoam makes for quick buildings.

My hope is that people build dios for their existing customs or figures. That way half the work is already done.

I'm not really trying to convince anyone to do something they don't want to, I just really enjoy talking about dios (like some people enjoy talking about sports)!

Return to “YAKfinities”