Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Incidentally, this is the post that got me a thinly-veiled threat from Phillip Wise, and will probably get me banned from 'Scum since I refuse to back down:

The way that Gentle Giant does business really shows contempt for their customers. I remember the jackbooted thugs they had at Celebration in LA, screaming at the fans lining up for a Gree bust. It was like that opening scene in FULL METAL JACKET, with them screaming obscenities at people who just wanted to buy the damn bust. I ended up getting one, then paid $90 for another from someone in line who didn't want theirs because I had promised Darth Ripley I would try to get her one. It was the biggest cluster**** I've ever witnessed, and I expect Comic-Con to be even worse.

The Bly/Neyo/Cody situation is ridiculous. Let's take the hottest characters (the Clones) and make them limited, so they'll be instant E-Bay scalper bait. Meanwhile we'll crap out another Han Solo with a run of 10,000 that retailers won't be able to GIVE away.

Now trying to pre-order the damn Cody on their site, I keep getting bumped out and my cart emptied so I have to log back in, only to get bumped out again because their piece of crap site can't handle the traffic they generated with their stupid pre-sale. Ridiculous. I give up.

I think I'm pretty much done with their future products at this point. A company that only exists to continually frustrate and spit on their fans is no company I want to give more money to.

-DD
DarthDelicious wrote:
The way that Gentle Giant does business really shows contempt for their customers. I remember the jackbooted thugs they had at Celebration in LA, screaming at the fans lining up for a Gree bust. It was like that opening scene in FULL METAL JACKET, with them screaming obscenities at people who just wanted to buy the damn bust. I ended up getting one, then paid $90 for another from someone in line who didn't want theirs because I had promised Darth Ripley I would try to get her one. It was the biggest cluster**** I've ever witnessed, and I expect Comic-Con to be even worse.

-DD

ugh :shock: that sounds bad. i can picture it though :/ if i end up going to sdcc i don't plan to stand in line for anything if something like that was to happen. if they really are screaming obscenties that would be a good thing to catch on tape.
By DarthDelicious
Granted, the people doing line control were just as possibly hired union help (some were sporting some seriously Jersey-like accents, and teamsters aren't always known for their sunny dispositions) but it got pretty rough. Still, Gentle Giant is ultimately responsible because of the way they handled the line, and the way they generate the chaos with their tiny production runs, making these items guaranteed scalper bait.

I was afraid a few of the confrontations were going to generate in a smackdown all across the dealer floor. :lol:

-DD
By YAK_Chewie
I haven't heard too much about Gentle Giant stuff until lately - they seem to deliver fantastic product quality, but make too many exclusives that are being profited off of by dealers/scalpers. Running a business that way is definitely not collector friendly.

:wink:
By SpecialOpsUnit
They do have their faults but I have a blast collecting from them. I'm not a completist so I don't mind if I miss an exclusive here or there. I would of loved to get some of the Commanders but I don't have the money to right now, maybe sometime next year I can pay $100+ for a Commander Cody mini-bust.

They make great products and all their merchandise have come out good except for the Obi-Wan Clone armor statue and the Qui-Gon Jinn mini-bust.

Like I said they have their flaws but they still satisfy their customers. I'm glad I got into the Gentle Giant game.
By hot dog trooper
WOW Nobody is lighting this post up yet? the new airborne trooper bust is going to be another fiasco!!!!
can i get an amen?
Community fodder box...

I’ll take the best cop with a jacket and the one w[…]

Tessek (Squidhead) Ree Yees Weequay Nikto Admiral […]

John Morog Customs

Finished up work on my latest E-11 last night. Thi[…]

AT-ACT

Apparently the Gordmans by my house still has quit[…]

Walmart and TVC

LOL - I just worry about how the figure looks. :[…]

Yakfinities #70 - DROIDS

CT-X3 looks fabulous! I love the design... I migh[…]