Image Image Image Image Image

Technical Issues.

Moderators: YAK_Den, Yakface.com Staff

Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Technical Issues.

Postby Utinniii » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm finding this site is crashing more and more these days.
It feels like 50% of the time I get an error message. Hitting refresh or back a page usually worked but now it takes 2-5 times to work.
Sometimes when it comes back, the pics and formatting are gone and it looks like an editing mode.
I probably check 10-20 times a day and while I may not get errors every time, if feels like 1/10 clicks won't work.

I've heard traffic might be a factor, but many times there are 0-15 guests/users on line. I'm on at all hours and there isn't a consistently good time.

In countries or areas with bad internet, your pages often won't load.

(I'm giving all those details to help and not to complain. This is a FREE service and I appreciate everything being done here.)

This is one of my top 5 sites but I'm reaching the point where if it doesn't load, I just give up and try later. If a comment I'm making won't send, I don't try to repost it.

EDIT: I got the #503 Services Temporarily Unavailable message when I tried to post this and it took me 3 tries to edit this. (No users or guests)
StooperZero
Teras Kasi

Re: Technical Issues.

Postby StooperZero » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:29 pm

same thing last few days, have to refresh/return and click again to view or post.
The Professor
Forum Admin

Postby The Professor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks for your concern and interest (and for being polite). My understanding is that transferring to a new server is cost prohibitive. I, too, have to refresh a few times for some of our pages to load. With the approach of Force Friday II, it will probably remain like this for a while, but I imagine there will be less stress on the server after that. Our man Jayson tackles pretty much everything and pays for the server out of pocket, so I appreciate (on his behalf) you being so thankful.
Chewie, take The Professor in back and plug him into the hyperdrive!
Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Postby Utinniii » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 pm

The Professor wrote:Thanks for your concern and interest (and for being polite). My understanding is that transferring to a new server is cost prohibitive. I, too, have to refresh a few times for some of our pages to load. With the approach of Force Friday II, it will probably remain like this for a while, but I imagine there will be less stress on the server after that. Our man Jayson tackles pretty much everything and pays for the server out of pocket, so I appreciate (on his behalf) you being so thankful.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not tech savvy so I didn't know if the problem could be fixed but thought that if it was, you would want to know about it.

Sites like this one can be the only means for some fans to connect and that facts that not only is it free but also doesn't have pop ups spamming all over is something we are all thankful for.

Thanks Jayson and everyone that is keeping it alive!!
GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:58 pm

I too have dealt with this problem and it isn't too much of an issue, just have to click refresh a few times and it works itself out. I really appreciate what Jayson does to keep this going, love the site and these forums as well, Yakface is another reason why this hobby is so much fun.
Passionate Star Wars fan/collector for all my life, Troop builder, teenager.

Other forum account:
https://disqus.com/by/GHuxy15/
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:23 pm

The Professor is right, it's the web traffic, the more readers at any given moment, the more likely have to reload.

Switching servers at this point would not only be costly, but extremely time consuming. Some of you may be aware that the old Yakfinities pics won't load... hard to describe, but for me to fix that would take ungodly hours that I don't have... switching servers would make that look like child's play.

At some point we may be able to switch to a better server, but it is what it is for now at least. And Jayson sacrifices more time and sweat into making this place run than I'm sure anyone can truly appreciate.

Thank you everyone for your understanding and helping make our forums community so enjoyable!!

:wink:

Return to “General Discussion”