Image Image Image Image Image

Collection Inventory

Moderators: YAK_Den, Yakface.com Staff

surgeopressor
Midi-Chlorian

Collection Inventory

Postby surgeopressor » Sat May 30, 2015 12:22 pm

Currently, I am using a plain old spreadsheet to inventory my (modest) figure and vehicle collection. I try to collect data such as purchase prices, series, dates, item numbers, etc. It pretty cumbersome to maintain. In the coming year(s), we'll all be seeing significant expansions to our collections. I would really like a more robust/scalable system to make this process easier. Can anyone out there comment on if and how you keep track of your collections?
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Re: Collection Inventory

Postby Paulskywalker » Sat May 30, 2015 12:43 pm

My method was backwards. I have word documents that contain lists of what i need and i deleted things off as i bought them. Not updated it in ages though.
If i wanted figures like Rebels and Legends series i'd build a time machine. Even if i did want them, i'd probably still need a time machine..
The Professor
Forum Admin

Postby The Professor » Sat May 30, 2015 2:17 pm

Paulskywalker wrote:My method was backwards. I have word documents that contain lists of what i need and i deleted things off as i bought them. Not updated it in ages though.

That's what I do. I organize by the movie each figure/character appears in.
Chewie, take The Professor in back and plug him into the hyperdrive!
Niktom
Imperial Alchemist

Postby Niktom » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:41 am

I use the Star Wars Collecting Database. It's put together by Todd Carlton who has published several collecting books... the "Super Collector's Wishbook" series.

You can download the program to your computer for free and try it out. The database is massive with information, pictures, variations. Easy to navigate once you get used to it. If you pay for it, you can keep up with your collection, information and even print out reports. The bulk of the work is already done for you. All you have to do is go in, click what you have, add to "your collection", enter what you payed for it and your done. It's also backed up on the internet in case you lose the data on your computer. People from all over the world have and do contribute to it constantly. It's updated once or twice a month with new items and some price adjustments.

Here's a screen cap of the interface. There's also a phone app.... absolutely great when out in the field and you need a price look up or quick info.

You can get the data base here...

http://starwarsguide.net/filemgmt/index.php
Always looking for Vintage Star Wars Holiday Special Items
Visit YaksPub.com
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:54 am

I've never catalogued any of my purchases, but I do have a "needs list" that I can reference like The Professor. I would never be able to remember any of the Astromech droids I need if I didn't document them!

It also makes it really easy to copy and paste the names of figures into eBay and stuff.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!

Return to “General Discussion”