Image Image Image Image Image

Indiana Jones Figures - Flop or Success?

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

How do you consider the success of the Indiana Jones line?

A
20%
B
15%
C
30%
D
20%
F
15%

Total votes: 20
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Indiana Jones Figures - Flop or Success?

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Just wondering... all things considered, including the quality of the line and sales you are seeing at retail, what overall grade would you give the line to this point?

A? Or a B? Or a stinking red F?

Feel free to discuss why you voted how you did, and suggestions for improvement to the line.

:wink:
Robo-Quack
Mighty Mugg Fanatic

Postby Robo-Quack » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:02 pm

I'd say B. It's an awesome line, it's just sad to see that it hasn't been too popular with the kiddies. I think it has a very unclear future at this point, but personally I think it deserves a chance and I'd love to see it continue for a good long time.
Theo Zissou
Mandalorian

Postby Theo Zissou » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:44 pm

I went C. The figures have been good, but they distribution of them isn't going so well. Seeing walmarts from louisville to reno the pegs are overpacked with the first 2 waves. i found the crusade wave once, but not again since. Hopefully the line continues past this year since they have many more figures i would like to see such as brody.
“I don’t think it’s really fair for me to be on a jury because I can read thoughts.”

Liz Lemon-30 Rock http://www.30rockquotes.net/

http://theozissou.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/TheoZissou
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Re: Indiana Jones Figures - Flop or Success?

Postby Darth Kikinou » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:11 pm

I think the figures themselves are a solid A but sales are a B-, they are kind of hanging around too much. I keep looking for the TLC wave but all I see are the same ROTLA and KOTCS ones over and over.

It's kind of grating actually... every single figure, save for the different Indy's, are all SA and generally excellent. That's because they know they have but one shot at each, not 18 different iterations to sell us over the course of 15 years with each successive figure having slightly better articulation than the last. The actual figures for the Indiana Jones character are Star Wars'esque in terms of how they're playing it. Some have static poses, some have goofy accessories (big holster), etc, each one is slightly imperfect such that you feel compelled to buy them all (I ONLY have the KOTCS one, though, the best! :) For SW they know that when they finally make the perfect Bespin Han or Tatooine Luke that's it, they can't sell us another one heh.
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
The Professor
Forum Admin

Postby The Professor » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:44 am

The figures are great, but seeing how they are sitting on the shelves in my area, I don't think this is going to be a truly long-term property.
Chewie, take The Professor in back and plug him into the hyperdrive!
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:27 am

With only a few minor gripes (Ceremonial Belloq instead of regular, oversized relics, goofy gun holster, a few articulation shortcuts), the figures themselves are outstanding and worthy of an A.

But, yeah, they are really screwing up with their dreadful distribution. And we know that even MORE pegwarming Mutts are on the way! They had better make a major course correction and fast or they could really kill enthusiasm for the line and harm its long-term prospects.

Such a shame since so much of the product is just fantastic.
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:45 pm

I love that they chose to make the ceremonial Belloq, great decision, gives the line more variety :) Plus I think we've been told to expect another ROTLA wave next year, in which I hope we see a Belloq in archaeologist gear (along with Toht and the German mechanic!?)

I hope we end up with two waves of each film, at least, and I want as many "guy in suit" figures as possible ;) Definitely Brodie and Donovan, and Indy at the lounge. And all the ladies in the gowns and all :)
terman123
Moisture Farmer

Postby terman123 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:56 pm

About to stop this line unless the next wave (the crusade), grabs my attention have yet to see it but ton's on the 1st two waves.
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:56 am

Darth Kikinou wrote:I love that they chose to make the ceremonial Belloq, great decision, gives the line more variety :) Plus I think we've been told to expect another ROTLA wave next year, in which I hope we see a Belloq in archaeologist gear (along with Toht and the German mechanic!?)

I hope we end up with two waves of each film, at least, and I want as many "guy in suit" figures as possible ;) Definitely Brodie and Donovan, and Indy at the lounge. And all the ladies in the gowns and all :)

The Raiders 09 wave has pretty much been leaked and confirmed at this point and, sadly, no Belloq!

However, we will be getting some great figures in the wave -

Toht
Dietrich
Indy in German Disguise
Marion in White Dress
Satipo
German Mechanic

Great wave, but the lack of a regular Belloq is a damn shame!!!
sambuca
Scavenger

Postby sambuca » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:00 pm

I say a HUGE stinky F.

Rough count, there are probably 300-400 figures total warming pegs at all the stores who chose to carry them.

The paint apps stink, NON-REMOVABLE HATS?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, I was psyched for a lot of this, now I'm just praying someday I can find Henry Jones and Short Round. :?
I've seen a million faces... AND I'VE ROCKED THEM ALL!!!
Niktom
Imperial Alchemist

Postby Niktom » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:44 pm

One of the best ideas Hasbro has ever had!

Whoa... did I just say that? Anyway...

The idea was great, sounded great, looked great on paper and everyone was excited, but.....

the execution SUCKED!

Figures -
Some look great, some are ok, and others look really bad. Most of the Indys just don't look like him in the face though. Ruined a lot of it for me.
Substandard articulation given what we're used from both Star Wars and Joe... seriously, did they think we wouldn't notice?

Variety -
Too much WAY too fast! This is not a line that's been around with a movie helping to push stuff like Star Wars. There was so much put out for the movie and then BAM another whole load of stuff with even more planned down the pike from the older movies.

Timing -
Sucked, sucked, sucked. It's not all Hasbro's fault. They had to capitalize on the movie. But when you have Star Wars (majorly established and growing) and GI Joe (making a major comeback) sitting on both sides of the new line and your pretty much trying to sell to the same demographic both collector and child... your doomed. Throw on top of all that the economic times where pretty much everyone is cutting back on collecting and buy for kids... ouch! Again, this is not Hasbro's fault. Just the way it falls sometimes.

I don't see this line being around much longer. Retailers will not be reordering and may even cancel orders and Hasbro will see it's just not going to make them money.

It was a good idea that should have started small and built from there.

I give them a "A" for effort but a big "F" for not thinking the whole thing through. Overall grade for the line would be a "C" heading for an "F".
Always looking for Vintage Star Wars Holiday Special Items
Visit YaksPub.com
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:01 pm

Cool, thanks! Yah Belloq is a conspicuously absent from the wave but it's hard to argue against any of the other choices, so it's understandable.
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:15 pm

sambuca wrote:
NON-REMOVABLE HATS?!?!?!?!?

There's an Indy with a removable hat, which is a nice feature, but the hat looks too big once it's on his head. I'm glad we have a loose hat and hatless versions, but it's nearly impossible to get something to look right at that scale.

What other figures need removable hats? Germans or Russians? No thanks, I'd rather have them look good than have a bunch of big, goofy hats floating around.

This seems like an odd complaint.
zedhatch

Postby zedhatch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:01 pm

Sucked, sucked, sucked. It's not all Hasbro's fault. They had to capitalize on the movie. But when you have Star Wars (majorly established and growing) and GI Joe (making a major comeback) sitting on both sides of the new line and your pretty much trying to sell to the same demographic both collector and child... your doomed. Throw on top of all that the economic times where pretty much everyone is cutting back on collecting and buy for kids... ouch! Again, this is not Hasbro's fault. Just the way it falls sometimes.

I have to disagree on Joe for a couple of reasons.

1. As bad as indy distro is, Joe is ten times worse and has been for almost a year and a half with no end in site. Many areas didn't even see any figures besides the five packs until wave 5.

2. Figures like Duke, Ace, Wild Bill, Spirit bring down what could be a stellar line. While Indy has some bombs, they aren't as prevelant as joe's have been.

3. WAYYY to fast. 3 waves this summer already even if you can catch them, the money to get all of them is just outragious. originally there were to be five waves this year, now hasbro is talking 8. Too much glut and not enough visability. Add to that it is easier to find a SW chase figure than it is to find a common figure of Joe, frustration sets in to all but the most hardcore fan.

4. Nothing new. While the same arguement can be made for indy, the fact is Indy hasn't been seen in around 10 years. The joes just came off some floundering sets (JvC, Spy Troops, VvV, and DTC) while Indy has been absent so long it seems newish (add to the fact that TOD and Last Crusade figs haven't been in 1:18th scale before).

In additon the designs of Joe are very close to the originals. While nifty it gets boring rather quickly. Also I am begining to believe the packageing really sells these figures more than anything since it seems the comic packs are hanging around like a bad habit, not selling at all.
Updated Mon-Fri every week
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:51 pm

This is blasphemy! Shhhh!!! Don't you think the Hasbro people read these boards? Don't discourage them!! :)

Return to “Indiana Jones”