Image Image Image Image Image

Taps - Indy's Dead

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Arc_Trooper77
Alpha-Class Arc Trooper

Postby Arc_Trooper77 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:34 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:It seems as though Hasbro wanted to kill this line.

:wink:

Sense great greed I do. :roll: :lol: It's really stupid of Hasbro to do this.. I saw Indy figures at Wal-Mart for $2.50 a piece in the clearance area.. vehicles were $15.00.. :?
Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome.
Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:09 pm

Arc_Trooper77 wrote:
YAK_Chewie wrote:It seems as though Hasbro wanted to kill this line.

Sense great greed I do. :roll: :lol: It's really stupid of Hasbro to do this.. I saw Indy figures at Wal-Mart for $2.50 a piece in the clearance area.. vehicles were $15.00.. :?

Wal-Mart wields an absolutely extraordinary influence over their retailers.

From all I've heard on the various Indy forums, Wal-Mart stores are choking on Indy product.

That is not the case at any of the stores I frequent, which are primarily TRU and Target. There is a very small amount of product on the shelves and it's been that way for months.

I have no Wal-Marts in my area.

My guess is that Wal-Mart has a LOT to do with the death of the line.

It seems like they wildly overestimated the amount of product they could sell and over ordered by a significant degree.

Given the lousy, lousy case assortments, that only made the problem worse. From everything I'm hearing, even the uber-rare Last Crusade wave is, in fact, plentiful in many Wal-Marts.

And it seems like they've stopped ordering more product and are clearancing out what they have. They have probably told Hasbro that they won't stock the line anymore, or at least in big numbers.

This is speculation on my part, but its consistent with all the facts and Wal-Marts S.O.P.

If Wal-Mart won't stock your product, you're as good as dead.
The Professor
Forum Admin

Postby The Professor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:13 pm

It is a shame. I definitely think distribution and over-production were the main causes. Indy, which had never had a prolongued action figure line, should not have used a children collectors' business model. It's not Star Wars and is far more reliant on adult collectors (who don't need thirty Mutts and sixty Indys). Beyond that, it was an untested property. The glut of product that arrived in stores was not suited for Indy.

I really liked the line but have to admit that I only picked up a handful of figures. I think it's almost criminal that pictures of the second Raiders line were revealed but will never see the light of day.

However, I think that part of the original problem was that Hasbro was given little lead-in time because Indy 4 was produced in under two years. Further assessment was needed by Hasbro to determine how best to market the line.
Chewie, take The Professor in back and plug him into the hyperdrive!
Theo Zissou
Mandalorian

Postby Theo Zissou » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:18 pm

will we even see the temple of doom wave on shelfs?
“I don’t think it’s really fair for me to be on a jury because I can read thoughts.”

Liz Lemon-30 Rock http://www.30rockquotes.net/

http://theozissou.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/TheoZissou
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 am

Theo Zissou wrote:will we even see the temple of doom wave on shelfs?

I don't know, but my case is arriving tomorrow!

The last hurrah of the Indy line! A cause for both celebration and mourning.

Indiana Jones Line
2008-2008
Diddly
Cantina Bartender

Postby Diddly » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:31 pm

Lance Quazar wrote:Indiana Jones Line
2008-2008

Heh, that was my Facebook status a few days ago (except I put 5/1/08-12/31/08 ).

Anyway, I checked BBTS a few days ago and it appears they have pre-sold out of the ToD wave. Is there any other online retailer selling ToD cases? I was hoping I would have an insane amount of luck finding the wave in stores like I did TLC but with no reports of the figures hitting yet (and the line's death) I decided I better order a case.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:52 pm

Lance Quazar wrote:
Indiana Jones Line
2008-2008

:lol: :lol: :lol:
roron corobb
Nerf Herder

Postby roron corobb » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:21 pm

I really hate to think about this line ending anytime soon. One thing good that might bring live back into it though is the talk of it ending, more people (ebay people & those sorts :wink:), will be buying them up in bulk. Hopefully before the line is completely dead, so we will at least see the Raiders second line up. Could happen, right?

roron corobb
My Feedback Links: Classifieds or Trading
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:30 pm

I guess it could happen, but I think now that the word is out, most people are thinking "wait for clearance" - and the retailers are probably telling Hasbro they don't want to carry the line after Christmas... which in all honesty, who could blame them?

I think every single site should send in a question to Hasbro on how they think they handled the line as a company.

Diddly
Cantina Bartender

Postby Diddly » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:14 am

Well, I want to pick up some more Indy's for customs, the problem is I'm strapped for cash so I can't be buying 6 figures every time I visit the store like I could when I had a job. The $5.44 prices are great, but I'd rather have them now because I have awful luck with clearances. I've seen some PERFECT Raiders Indys so I'll be picking up at least one to replace my decent Raiders Indy I bought in May.
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:42 am

Maybe there'll be a Christmas miracle, HUGE sales with the DVD release? :) Most kids / parents won't know the line is doomed anyway so dare to dream? :)
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
Coookieemonster
Moisture Farmer

Postby Coookieemonster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Hate to say it guys, it's a shame the indy line has gone, not dying and there is EMT round the corner, I mean the line has gone the same way as the POTC, Narnia: Prince Caspian and the Golden Compass, it will have ceased to exsist after Christmas, no matter how much you want Santa to help you get these toys back.

It had a good run though and I was surprised actually how long it lasted, think about it, Indy was never as big as Star Wars, and never will be.

Look at it another way, if the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out and they didnt bring back any of the Older Movie Figures, how long do you think it would have lasted. We got figures from the 4 Movies and Some of the More important ones as well, some not so important ones.

So instead of writing letters and demanding Hasbro release whatever, write the letter and thank them for making what they have, and you never know as a thank you, back to you, they may actually release the last wave with Toht in as a special promotional deal.
mattman212121
Midi-Chlorian

Postby mattman212121 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:17 pm

Coookieemonster wrote:Hate to say it guys, it's a shame the indy line has gone, not dying and there is EMT round the corner, I mean the line has gone the same way as the POTC, Narnia: Prince Caspian and the Golden Compass, it will have ceased to exsist after Christmas, no matter how much you want Santa to help you get these toys back.

It had a good run though and I was surprised actually how long it lasted, think about it, Indy was never as big as Star Wars, and never will be.

Look at it another way, if the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out and they didnt bring back any of the Older Movie Figures, how long do you think it would have lasted. We got figures from the 4 Movies and Some of the More important ones as well, some not so important ones.

So instead of writing letters and demanding Hasbro release whatever, write the letter and thank them for making what they have, and you never know as a thank you, back to you, they may actually release the last wave with Toht in as a special promotional deal.

I agree 100%, it's water over the dam now. As bad as it was managed, at least we finally got some indy figures that we always wanted. Even though we didn't get fan favorites like Brody or Tux-Indy, at least we got figures like Henry Jones, that at least made it worth it. Complaining about the past isn't going to get us anywhere, just be thankful we got the figures we did get.
TradeFederationSympathy
Pod Racer

Postby TradeFederationSympathy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:08 pm

It is sad to hear the line is dying. Just yesterday I found Vogel and Jones Sr. Jones was definately the best figure of the line so far. Great figure. I think that Hasbro definately overproduced the line to its death but I think the horrible movie also contributed to the line's death. I collected the figures pretty intensely before the movie but after that crappy Skull movie came out I lost all interest in the line. I blame George Lucas for the fall of the figure line.

Return to “Indiana Jones”