Vintage, Saga Legends and non-Clone Wars figures & vehicles for 2010 and beyond

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

By Raylen
I think the permant cap on Aphra looks better. I made a custom of her awhile ago and quickly realized that it just wouldn't fit over her hair and look right. I like the figure we got though but wish they had gone with the alternate jacket which is what I used for mine.
By Jodo
I don't know enough (anything) about Aphra, but it would have been cool to get a removable cap or something.

The "premium" aspect of TVC is the articulation IMO. There has never been an over abundance of diorama parts or additional accessorizes included in the line, but the price point sure seems to make that harder to handle. Thus far, I think I've picked up Snoke, and all of the new sculpts in wave 2 and 3, plus an additional 2 extra Tank Drivers, and 8 Range Troopers.

A lot of comments on other sites seem to indicate the desire for more figure than what we are getting, but honestly, I'm almost kind of okay with what we're getting now. At the $13 price point, I don't really look forward to squad building like I would have in the past. Three to four waves of figures annually wouldn't bother me at all, as long as we got 16-20 new figures each year.

And less stupid repack choices.
By Raylen
Less repacks is right. While I know theres people who want those figures on vintage cards, we didn't need to see them again so soon. Look, pretty much all of us collectors said that wave one would peg warm with the exception of the Hoth trooper. We were right. I think Snoke could have sold better if he came out after TFA and not right after he was casually dispatched in TLJ so even that new figure pegwarmed. They need to be smart about the repacks. The AT AT Commander currently runs about $40 on the secondary market. THAT needs to be repacked. Give him a Veers head and BOOM! they can even use him to fill the need of the collectors who want new versions of all the original figures carded.
By YAK_Chewie
So far I am really liking most of TVC in 2018.... well the new figures at least. They are easily worth $13.

However, I don't need THIS much articulation. Lower it a bit and get us to $10-$11 per figure and I'd be happier.

With the 8 figure per case format, repacks have to be at a minimum... they can not ever take up more than 1-2 slots.

Hasbro is investing more in the TVC line, which is great. With how fast Wave 2 and 3 are sellimg, restock, selling etc. it seems at Walmart, we might finally be turning a corner.

I'd like to see 30-35 all new TVC figures next year but I believe we'll see 20 or so. If it continues to go well, by spring/summer they might be willing to make 2020 a bigger TVC year.

:wink:
By Jodo
Raylen wrote:Less repacks is right. While I know theres people who want those figures on vintage cards, we didn't need to see them again so soon. Look, pretty much all of us collectors said that wave one would peg warm with the exception of the Hoth trooper. We were right. I think Snoke could have sold better if he came out after TFA and not right after he was casually dispatched in TLJ so even that new figure pegwarmed. They need to be smart about the repacks. The AT AT Commander currently runs about $40 on the secondary market. THAT needs to be repacked. Give him a Veers head and BOOM! they can even use him to fill the need of the collectors who want new versions of all the original figures carded.

I think they need to take a good look at the secondary market and see what would sell. They did good repacking the ERG, and now the Gam. Gaurd though. For Rogue One they should have re-released the Rebel Fleet Trooper as well. As you mentioned, the ATAT Commander would be a good one as well. There's many Legacy series figures that would be good choices as well.

I think the wave 1-3 repacks are excellent figures; however, they were just released way too close to their original release. Taco Bell doesn't have a special item and then have that same special item a month later. McDonalds doesn't run the same special menu items twice in a row...Buyers want something different, even if it's something awesome that came out several years ago.
By Raylen
Speaking of the Rebel Fleet Trooper, they really need to do Cap Antilles/Rebel Troops in the tan and brown uniforms. It’d be a great army builder to go with the RFTs. I’d buy four at least
By darthvlad
YAK_Chewie wrote:With how fast Wave 2 and 3 are selling, restock, selling etc. it seems at Walmart, we might finally be turning a corner.

YAK_Chewie wrote:Oh, Hasbro needs to help Target out and give them a Wave One credit so they can start have a huge sale to make room for more waves.

I wonder if someone in Toys at Walmart HQ actually looked at what was in Wave 1 and said, "pass" to Hasbro as they had seen these figures in their clearance aisles and decided to go with wave 2 and 3 which had newer figures.

I guess it would be nice to get all of wave one just because the cards, but I'm an opener and I already have these figures, so it doesn't make sense to spend $13 per for items I already own.
By darthvlad
Concur with Antilles. They need to just do a Rebels (not the cartoon) wave with Antilles, Dodonna and some others. I know people are clamoring for a Rebel Technician, Tauntaun Handler, Bob Hudsol and others.
By darth_sidious
Sweet customs as always - love the wash.

For those that open your TVC figures - has anyone else noticed issues with joint movement? I opened up Aphra, and one of her hips is glued or melted shut. Since SA figures can be fragile, I didn't force it. I don't much care for jointed hips like these, nor am I much for SA anymore, so it doesn't really bother me, but is it an issue with other figures?
By YAK_Chewie
Thanks! It's dry brush, wash, dry brush, wash, repeat, etc. and then paint in the fine details.

Now that you mention it though, I did notice an issue on one of my Range Troopers. His right elbow was kind of fused.

So, I popped him in hot water, then popped out the socket. Usually when this happens you can wiggle it some and it will free the "stuck" area without snapping the pin... in this instance though, I had to actually slice the plastic a bit with an exacto knife to free it from the joint.

But it worked, and I put it back in the socket and it is fine now. However, nobody should have to do this!

For anyone confused, you can watch this short video... rarely does one have to actually slice the plastic like I did:

:wink:
By darth_sidious
Thanks for the info, the boiling water trick was my first thought, but the joint looks welded together. If I force it, that leg will probably snap clean off. I don't dynamically pose them or anything, so I'll just leave it. When it comes to quality control - my Aphra had multiple deco mistakes, luckily as a fellow customizer, I can correct them - but I agree we shouldn't have to. Hasbro doesn't need to describe the line as premium anymore, because SA alone doesn't cut it when we're repainting and repairing! ;)
By JawaKing
Having the super-articulation does make the VC figures seem more premium. Main characters, Jedi, fighters & troopers especially need good articulation for fun displays and play value. However, some of it doesn't really make sense. The extra hip articulation doesn't mean much without having rocker-jointed ankles. And most figures do not need the rotate/hinge extra wrist joints, as this just makes for fat wrists. The body swivel can be a detriment visually also to have the horizontal slice right through the torso. I'm not a fan of extra articulation detracting from the deco and character aesthetic of the figure. I wish Hasbro would be more selective about what figures get what articulation. Most background and static characters don't really need 20+ POA figures. Just a little restraint on all this extra tooling and assembly could bring the cost down a little.
By Raylen
The wrists seem to be the oddest "addition" to the articulation and could probably be done away with. I think the ankle movement is essential though. The hips can be frustrating cause you have to rotate 45 degrees to two different joints to properly go from standing to sitting (or crouching). I have a Marvel Black Panther figure where they just used a simple ball and socket joint. BOOM! the same range of motion and much less tooling and assembly. Not saying that it would work across the board aesthetic wise, but could work better in some cases.

However, I'd rather get an excess of articulation than too little. Oh, how I loathed swivel elbows!!!
Retail Sales, Clearances, Etc.

Forum member vikingrobot also messaged me today […]

TVC - The Rise of Skywalker

My understanding is there's 1-2 more waves planned[…]

Where does the hobby go from here?

I think there's a lot of jaded, blind bias in this[…]

TVC: Poe Dameron’s X-Wing

Nice. That's a good strategy. Buy two so you can[…]

My Custom Star Wars Figures/Vehicles

Your customs are great and your displays/dioramas […]

DarthSinister's Customs

These are terrific! SUPER scary! Right in time f[…]