Vintage, Saga Legends and non-Clone Wars figures & vehicles for 2010 and beyond

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

User avatar
By Jodo
#168258
Is there much interest in these?

I think I will pick up any new characters they might do, but it’s a solid pass from me on the remade originals.
User avatar
By darth_sidious
#168260
I waited to comment until we saw images, and there is no mistaking the carded figures, especially with the intentionally worn cards (which is a graphic) and huge sticker. Overall, I think this will be a positive addition to the market, as it will allow casual collectors and fans to buy retro sculpts without paying the ebay prices. I'm sure many would rather pay $10 for a MOC figure over a loose beater. Sure, demand for actual vintage Kenner will likely drop, but I doubt the value will crash. Likewise, the sculpts aren't going to be exact - if you compare the Kenner Boba Fett to the Hasbro rocket-firing Fett (2010), they are clearly different.

I'm most interested to see how deep this line goes - if they start doing rare figures, I imagine many more will flock to the line, instead of paying the insane amounts vintage Kenner goes for on places like ebay. This will allow collectors and casual fans the opportunity to buy a slice of nostalgia for the price of a toy. I cant say I'll be chasing them all down, but I'll pick up at least one from the first wave to see what the quality is like. I've been looking for the Kenner vintage version of Leia for awhile, but its difficult to track down in good condition at a reasonable price - this is the solution. I don't have to worry about yellowing, paint rubs, brittle caps, missing blasters, etc. This might be the only one I pick up from the first wave, but its cool they're offering something like this.
By jeffd
#168261
I'm all in on these. Sure, a lot of it is the sentimental value of being able to buy these versions again after 40 years but they they also just look great to me. Typically, I'm an opener but this line will probably take up some wall real estate. I personally am not worried about what they do to the value of the originals or the whole "it''s taking away from Hasbro making more tvc figures" argument. They are going to make and sell what they want to and we can't control that. My completest days are far behind me and now I buy the characters I like, regardless of size or articulation.
User avatar
By darthapathy
#168279
darth_sidious wrote:I waited to comment until we saw images, and there is no mistaking the carded figures, especially with the intentionally worn cards (which is a graphic) and huge sticker. Overall, I think this will be a positive addition to the market, as it will allow casual collectors and fans to buy retro sculpts without paying the ebay prices. I'm sure many would rather pay $10 for a MOC figure over a loose beater. Sure, demand for actual vintage Kenner will likely drop, but I doubt the value will crash. Likewise, the sculpts aren't going to be exact - if you compare the Kenner Boba Fett to the Hasbro rocket-firing Fett (2010), they are clearly different.

I'm most interested to see how deep this line goes - if they start doing rare figures, I imagine many more will flock to the line, instead of paying the insane amounts vintage Kenner goes for on places like ebay. This will allow collectors and casual fans the opportunity to buy a slice of nostalgia for the price of a toy. I cant say I'll be chasing them all down, but I'll pick up at least one from the first wave to see what the quality is like. I've been looking for the Kenner vintage version of Leia for awhile, but its difficult to track down in good condition at a reasonable price - this is the solution. I don't have to worry about yellowing, paint rubs, brittle caps, missing blasters, etc. This might be the only one I pick up from the first wave, but its cool they're offering something like this.

I haven't seen it confirmed officially yet but I saw someone post that what was seen would be the only ones produced. Again, not official.
User avatar
By darthmadonna
#168287
I plan on getting a set. I had seen during the presentation they did say it was only the six and the board game. So that will be nice for a set, better if they did the 12 though.
User avatar
By darth_sidious
#168296
darthapathy wrote:I haven't seen it confirmed officially yet but I saw someone post that what was seen would be the only ones produced. Again, not official.


Just listened to the Hasbro Q&A again - while they couldn't discuss or confirm future waves or other releases, they did not say the retro series is limited to whats on display, and will end after these 7 figures. They in fact encouraged collectors to be vocal if they liked the series - that indicates to me that they likely have more planned, and if sales and interest is there, they will certainly roll more out.
User avatar
By Utinniii
#168297
If this is all they offer, I might get a Leia just for her gun and cape since my original lacks both. If they make more figures, I'd get at least one vinyl caped jawa, an R5D4 and any figure I only have a worn out version of.
This line will also be great for vintage customs. Now people can hack these apart instead.
This line has a lot of potential. If they did all the fan favourites and rare figures, especially the unproduced figures then this would be awesome.
Imagine if they made the mini-rigs again.
Obviously, they need to distinguish these somehow from the original but I suspect that the TM date stamp will be enough.
User avatar
By Jodo
#168304
I’ll definitely get any of the new sculpts they offer, but I can see the concern for confusion when it comes to listing for these in the aftermarket. Typically I troll ebay for groups of figures, and you wouldn’t believe how many people throw in TFA era figures with vintage lots, or combine POTF2 figures with RO figures, etc. To the lay person, the lines and styles were already too intermingled, and they can’t keep track.
User avatar
By The Professor
#168309
These look fun. I have a lot of Vintage figures, but I played with nearly all of them. So, they're not in great shape. I might pick one or two up here and there, but I don't plan to collect them. They are a nice match to those Vintage style figures that have come out for other movies like Terminator. (I can't remember who makes them.)
By DarthParallax
#168458
i'm going to bite on these. They bring back so much nostalgia and memories for me. My collecting now is on a budget so i'm happy with the price point on these, sadly the reissues transformers (walmart exclusives) were on the pricier side but still picked up a few for nostalgia reasons.
User avatar
By darth_sidious
#168462
The pricepoint is nice, because this line is going to offer collectors the opportunity to own mint versions of some of their favorite characters, instead of spending the same amount (or more) on a beater. If you want an original Kenner version, in excellent condition without yellowing, paint loss, and accessories, you will spend far more. One original Kenner figure, Leia, which I've been looking for - if I want an original in the same condition as these retro figures, I have to spend $80-100 on ebay, often more. Hopefully they'll continue the line and explore other unmade characters, and release Kenner figures that are very difficult to find or obtain at a reasonable price.
By DarthParallax
#168464
darth_sidious wrote:The pricepoint is nice, because this line is going to offer collectors the opportunity to own mint versions of some of their favorite characters, instead of spending the same amount (or more) on a beater. If you want an original Kenner version, in excellent condition without yellowing, paint loss, and accessories, you will spend far more. One original Kenner figure, Leia, which I've been looking for - if I want an original in the same condition as these retro figures, I have to spend $80-100 on ebay, often more. Hopefully they'll continue the line and explore other unmade characters, and release Kenner figures that are very difficult to find or obtain at a reasonable price.


agreed. it would be nice to see them go through not just star wars , but empire and jedi down the road as well.

This isn't a good sign for those of us waiting on[…]

Yakfinities #73 - Idea Phase

Entertainers? Nah, it'll never be chosen. :wink:[…]

This is really accomplishment. I love the Haunted […]

I love all these entries!!! My first custom in a[…]

Faddera Rabar p62 / Index p1

As a member of Enfys Nest's Cloud-Riders, the Dypl[…]

And yes! Maybe some of the Will Turner figures w[…]

Hi, I have a couple copies of John Tyler Christoph[…]

Parts Swap/Parts For Sale

Oh, boy... desperately need the following if anyo[…]