Image Image Image Image Image

Joint Site Tribute - Roundup Report!

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Joint Site Tribute - Roundup Report!

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:20 am

In the memory of the late Mercury Art Studios, the following sites are working together to bring to the customizing community a joint customizing event:

http://www.echobasenews.com
http://www.imperialshipyards.net
http://www.yakface.com

There is an Evolutions theme, based on the game, "The Old Republic " - in order to participate, please adhere to the following rules:

Rule #1 - In order to be eligible, all entries much have some sort of "Evolutions" theme, with three new custom figures entered into the contest that were made solely for this event. They must be posted in the dedicated thread in the forums at either Echobasenews.com, Imperial Shipyards, or Yakface before the deadline, which is 11:59 PM Central Standard Time, Monday April 30, 2012.

Rule #2- You can make as many groups of figures as you want - but regardless of how many groups you create, they constitute as one entry. However, if you post your group of figures at all three sites, then you will be entered in three times for the prize pool. So it is in your benefit to post your entry into the dedicated thread at all three sites.

Rule #3 - After the end of this event, ONE GRAND PRIZE winner will be selected by a panel of judges at the Star Wars fan sites sponsoring this event. We will be as absolutely fair and unbiased as possible with this. The winning prize will be announced at the end of the contest. This item will be sent free of charge to winners within the United States. If the winner is international, shipping fees will apply.

Rule #4 - There will be THREE RUNNERS UP, which will be completely RANDOM winners. Each of these winners will get to select a prize from the "Random Winner" images below. The first runner up will get first pick from the prize pool. The second random winner will get to make the next selection, and the third winner will get what is left. These figures will be packaged and mailed free of charge in the United States, however if any random winners are international, shipping fees will apply.

Rule #5 - Staff members at any of the sponsoring sites can participate, but are not eligible to win a prize at any time.

Rule #6 - Even though there will be a grand prize winner selected for the customizer who "wows" the judges the most, the three random winners will be selected regardless of talent level - no custom is too good for this, and no custom is too bad.

Rule #7 - Have fun with it and enjoy seeing everyone's work and ideas - and remember that this is in the honor of one of our own who is no longer with us - Mike Martinez will never be forgotten by the customizing community and we are a better group for knowing him. This contest was already in the works with him running it prior to him being taken away from us and this is our little way of continuing his work.

Rule #8 - If anyone wants to donate their custom to be sold/auctioned to benefit Mike's family, please contact tamer@imperialshipyards.net

The prize pool is as follows:

The winners we be announced on (or around) Monday, May 7. The Grand Prize Winner will be announced at each site, and the Random Winners will be announced separately at each site. Please feel free to ask any questions in this thread, and we look forward to seeing the custom figures submitted for this - but remember, you must create THREE NEW CUSTOMS and post them to be eligible, and if you post them at all three sites, you will be eligible as a random winner THREE TIMES!

For convenience sake, the dedicated threads at each site to this event are as follows:

Echobasenews
Imperial Shipyards
Yakface
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: Joint Site Tribute - NOW LIVE!

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm not eligible, but was super excited once we started getting this going behind the scenes... couldn't hold back, so I started on my customs for this over Christmas. I made a TOR style Sith Lord, Jedi, and Smuggler.

Smuggler Recipe
head - Evolutions Clone Trooper
hat - Clone Wars Cad Bane
hands - TVC Tusken Raider
rest - Legacy Trinto Duabo

Jedi Recipe
head - Comic Pack Janek Sunber
rest - McQuarrie Han Solo

Sith Lord Recipe
head - TAC Darth Revan
torso - TAC Darth Revan
arms - Captain America Hydra Soldier
hands - TVC ROTS Darth Sidious
tunic - ROTS Count Dooku
legs - ROTS Count Dooku
cape - TVC Darth Maul

Making these really brings back some great memories of Mike for me... his last posting before he was taken away from us is HERE. He was a damn good customizer, encouraging for people new to the hobby, and always a pleasure to chat with in the forums.

Mike was really looking forward to hosting this event but was unable to see it through since we lost him last summer. I hope we see a lot of entries across the three sites - he was really hoping for a big turnout with this. And a HUGE thanks to Echo Base News and Imperial Shipyards for working with us to make this happen.

:wink:
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:55 am

Great idea, I'm sure Mike would appreciate the tribute. I look forward to seeing all the submissions - you certainly started it off with some excellent customs, Chewie.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks, Mike was really a great guy. I remember how excited he was about launching an Evolution theme customizing contest - it has been something that I really wish we had gotten off the ground while he was still with us... hopefully he's looking down smiling a bit at this. And I hope we see a lot of entries, he would have really been happy to see a lot of participation.

darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Postby darthcrassus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Can you specify what an "Evolutions" theme means? Is it just a trio of different characters? Thanks.
Visit Darth Crassus Customs on Facebook for more of my custom Star Wars figures (https://www.facebook.com/darthcrassuscustoms)
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:07 pm

darthcrassus wrote:Can you specify what an "Evolutions" theme means? Is it just a trio of different characters? Thanks.

Yep - any trio of custom figures, with any sort of TOR tie-in is considered valid.

darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Postby darthcrassus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:33 pm

And does TOR include KOTOR and the Bane novels, or only the TOR MMO? If the latter, I actually haven't played TOR yet but will try to make something based off the promotional images I've seen. (Sorry for asking so many questions.)
Visit Darth Crassus Customs on Facebook for more of my custom Star Wars figures (https://www.facebook.com/darthcrassuscustoms)
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm

darthcrassus wrote:And does TOR include KOTOR and the Bane novels, or only the TOR MMO? If the latter, I actually haven't played TOR yet but will try to make something based off the promotional images I've seen. (Sorry for asking so many questions.)

Yep, it includes anything from the novels and games of that era, or of just your own imagination!

Hopefully the time frame allows for enough people to get involved, as this thing goes on for over three months... and the figures can be fan fiction too... and keep in mind that in the game and media barrage for TOR, there's thousands of background characters and endless designs... with the TOR era having SO many different Sith, Jedi, etc., it seems like there is a VERY rich pool of ideas to pull from.

The game's narrated TIMELINE really can help inspire ideas too...

These images alone are very inspiring, I think... and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

There's a ton of very creative people here, so I'd be surprised if we don't see some very cool stuff. And keep in mind, the random winners are truly "random" so any talent level has a chance of winning there, and anyone who posts their custom entries here, at Echobase and at Imperial Shipyards has an even better chance of being a random winner. One grand prize person will get the Sideshow Gree, which is one heck of a figure but the others will be random.

You can even design your own characters!

DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Glad to see this is up and running! I was exhausted last night but went up to my work room, found some music from TOR to play as inspiration, and started playing with parts to see what I could come up with. Have a Jedi who came along quite nicely, and a female of some sort, maybe a bounty hunter, coming along as well.

I hope this project sees the participation it deserves. I've been burned out on Star Wars lately, but I felt like it was important get involved in this project. Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with, Chewie's given us all some great inspiration with his first three figures!
darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Postby darthcrassus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:38 am

I have two entries, both from the Darth Bane novels (right on the edge of the TOR timeline). The first set of three consists of Lord Kaan, Darth Bane, and Githany from Path of Destruction.

Path of Destruction

Lord Kaan

Darth Bane

Image[/url]
Githany
Last edited by darthcrassus on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Postby darthcrassus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:44 am

I have two entries, both from the Darth Bane novels (right on the edge of the TOR timeline). The second set of three consists of Darth Zannah, Darth Bane, and Darth Cognus from Rule of Two and Dynasty of Evil.

Rule of Two

Darth Zannah

Darth Bane

Darth Cognus

Note: I'd posted photos of an older version of Darth Zannah and the Hasbro Bane on another website. These ones are slightly modified, but I'm not sure if this entry fully counts. If in doubt, consider my first entry to be my real entry for the contest.
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:03 am

Really cool - I dont think I've seen that many Sith in one place before. You can turn out customs about as fast as a Hasbro factory can make figures! How'd you get all these done in a few days? You sleep, dontcha? :P
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 am

They look great, thanks for sharing!

Based on the second rule:

You can make as many groups of figures as you want - but regardless of how many groups you create, they constitute as one entry. However, if you post your group of figures at all three sites, then you will be entered in three times for the prize pool. So it is in your benefit to post your entry into the dedicated thread at all three sites.

This definitely counts as an entry... if you haven't posted at the other two sites, please do and you're entered into the prize pool three times!

darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Postby darthcrassus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 pm

darth_sidious wrote:Really cool - I dont think I've seen that many Sith in one place before. You can turn out customs about as fast as a Hasbro factory can make figures! How'd you get all these done in a few days? You sleep, dontcha? :P

Fortunately I have a flexible schedule. But, I had decided to finish up my collection of Darth Bane figures and had been working on or completed a few before the contest was announced, so I only ended up making 2 since then (Cognus and Githany). I did give Bane's armor a paint wash, but that was quick. I'm thinking about making Kopecz next.
mousedroidhoojib
Pod Racer

Postby mousedroidhoojib » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:16 am

Born into a wealthy mining family in the Wroonian colony on Saleucami, Arlan Candroon had the galaxy at his feet.

A particularly bright child, Arlan studied with the greatest minds of the Old Republic, excelling in the arts and having a particular passion for playing the Dorenian Beshniquel. As a gift for excelling in a music competition for students from the Inner Rim, Arlan received a gold plated cortosis chain, which he wore proudly as a belt.

Unfortunately, as most teens do, Arlan rebelled against his family and mentors and fell in with a gang of pirates. Donning the fashion of the day along with a powerful sidearm and sharp knife, Arlan became a smuggler for hire. He did however keep the cortosis chain as part of his couture which proved to come in very handy when he had an unfortunate run-in with a Sith Lord.

Losing his right arm and suffering numerous deep cuts across his face and torso changed Arlan's outlook on life in the Old Republic. Fitted with a prosthesis, Arlan retired from smuggling to become an honest merchant ship's captain, based out of Dantooine.

Recipes

Young Arlan:

* Episode I Anakin Skywalker Tatooine (for the head)
* ROTS Yoda (modified, for the body sans head, hands and feet)
* Legacy Collection Princess Leia (for the hands and feet)
* Legacy Collection Breha Organa (for the thighs, which became the lower legs)
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Ice Blue", "Ultramarines Blue", "Purple Ink", "Golden Yellow", "Chaos Black")

Teenage Arlan:

* POTF2 Luke Skywalker (modified, for the entire body sans forearms)
* GI Joe Rise Of Cobra Storm Shadow Paris Pursuit (for the forearms)
* GI Joe Resolute Storm Shadow (for the rope)
* Marvel Universe Black Widow (for a piece of the belt which became the belt buckle, and a piece of a wrist gauntlet which became a clip on the belt)
* Legacy Collection General Grevious (for the gun)
* Marvel Universe Union Jack (for the knife)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Ice Blue", "Ultramarines Blue", "Purple Ink", "Golden Yellow", "Devlan Mud", "Bestial Brown", "Kommando Khaki", "Mithril Silver")

Old Arlan:

* Vintage Collection Darth Vader (modified, for the head)
* Original Trilogy Collection Feltipern Trevagg (modified, for the entire body sans arms and head)
* POTF2 2-1B (modified, for the right arm)
* POTF2 Ponda Baba (modified, for the left arm)
* DC Infinite Heroes Qwardian Weaponer (for the left hand)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* some paint (Citadel "Ice Blue", "Ultramarines Blue", "Purple Ink", "Golden Yellow", "Devlan Mud", "Mithril Silver")

Before:

After:

Having not played The Old Republic game but being very interested in the challenge of making a set of three figures, I took the "evolutions" part of the Joint Site Tribute brief to its extreme showing how one character evolved from a child, through a rebellious teen to a reserved old man. The three figures took around fifteen hours to complete from start to finish once I had the basic idea of what I was going to work upon. The name was a result of using the Star Wars Random Name Generator.

For additional turnaround pictures, refer to my customs thread here.

Return to “Featured Spotlight”