Image Image Image Image Image

2012 Naboo Starfighter

Non-Vintage and non-Clone Wars products featuring the Darth Maul, Yoda and Vader packaging design

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: 2012 Naboo Starfighter

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:14 pm

It should have been in Wave 1, and the podracers never should have been released. That woud have avoided this problem.

100% Hasbro's fault.

:wink:
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:43 pm

I hear ya. But, given the 3-D appeal of the Episode I Podrace, you know Hasbro wasn't going to do that. They played up and hyped the Podrace thirteen years ago when the film wasn't in 3-D so this was a no-brainer for them, even though they wound up selling poorly. The AAT Tank, though? Could have easily been jettisoned from the first wave and replaced with the Naboo Fighter and no one would have cared.
"We lived through another day... it's a good excuse to celebrate."

-Soul Asylum, "Can't Even Tell"(1994)
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby Paulskywalker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Well the AAT was an upgrade and out the four i think has sold the best, however poorly they sell.
If i wanted figures like Rebels and Legends series i'd build a time machine. Even if i did want them, i'd probably still need a time machine..
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:58 pm

If true, that's the first I've heard. But still, that first wave had four vehicles...any one of which could have been sacrificed for the new Naboo Starfighter, which had just as prominent a role in Episode I as any of the others. Even moreso! The Fighter was part of the climactic battle and little Anakin piloted one to destroy the droid control ship, winning the entire thing for the Naboo, Gungans and Jedi.

Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby Paulskywalker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Yeah the AAT had it's action feature taken out and a chair put in. But i reported on here when i got mine it was more than that, the guns and aerial were all new and the hatch had been fixed so it didn't fall off. Fairly decent upgrade.
If i wanted figures like Rebels and Legends series i'd build a time machine. Even if i did want them, i'd probably still need a time machine..
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:10 pm

The AAT has sold much better than the Podracers and I don't see it anymore, and the upgrades are actually very nice. That paint job isn't that exciting, but other than that, it rocks. Plus it's a "war machine" more than anything else from TPM and has crossover appeal for Clone Wars. It was a good choice by Hasbro.

Podracers on the other hand, collected dust the first time they were out in 1999, and back then they even came with figures. You can still find those on ebay for cheap. Hasbro was foolish to release these things again. Very few people care about podracers, or the pilots. It's one of the smallest niches in all of Star Wars collecting.

Just look at how bad the podracer figure set did at TRU. It's a pretty crappy set when you think about it. If Hasbro had put in something NEW into that set other than some cheap flags, it would have done better. Hasbro really conned TRU into that set. TRU puts that set on sale all the time but it never moves. It's almost pitiful.

Hasbro should be ashamed for what they've done to their retail partners, consumer base, and stakeholders.

Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby Paulskywalker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Oh god yeah the Podracer Pilots set, who wants 5 half sized repacks for £40! And they've not been on sale here.
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Hasbro? Feeling ashamed?

[Bronson Pinchot] Don't be ridiklaus! [/Bronson Pinchot]

darthmadonna
Bounty Hunter

Postby darthmadonna » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Oh man this reminds me of 1999- 2000 all over again. When Hasbro hyped the pod racing, only after the film debuted I felt and a few others that the highlight was the Gungan Battle. So in classic Hasbro style they waited and dragged their feet on doing more from the big battle until it was so late they had to make them exclusives or you could only order from online retailers. GRRRRR
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Sort of makes me wonder if, come next year, Hasbro will be late bringing out the Republic Gunship repaint that we all know is coming. Or there'll be some ridiculous delay getting, say, a repackaged AT-TE on shelves. I'm hoping they learned from the complete and unfocused mess that was Episode I 3-D and put out at least most of the really popular and asked-for vehicles early in the year. When kids as well as collectors will, you know, actually be wanting them because of AOTC 3-D being in cinemas.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:34 pm

I have a feeling we'll get a little more information on what the plans are for early 2013 at CVI... I doubt many retailers WANT a real big BMF style vehicle early in the year though. That's why I think the MTT didn't come out earlier, and why a repack of the AT-TE won't be in the cards for early 2013.

DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Well, as long as we don't see the same first waves of basic figures on shelves for six whole months I'll be fine with no BMF ships or vehicles, really. I don't buy many vehicles to begin with.

Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby Paulskywalker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Yeah the BMFs are brought out mid year to take advantage of Christmas when parents are more likely to pick up big ticket items; which is a good thing really.
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:58 pm

I still think we'll see a repainted Gunship in a big green Yoda box. The Gunship is probably the most famous vehicle from the second prequel given how often it's been released over the last ten years in one paint scheme or another. If we don't get a Republic Gunship in snazzy new packaging I'll be very surprised.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Yeah, a repacked Gunship makes sense early on. Unless they decide to give one of those the "BMF" treatment for later in 2013. I think I'd rather they not do that though.

Return to “Movie Heroes/Discover the Force (2012)/Saga Legends (2013)”