Non-Vintage and non-Clone Wars products featuring the Darth Maul, Yoda and Vader packaging design

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

The Sidious is a lot better than the Maul upon closer inspection. The Maul appears the be the one that came(and still comes) with the Sith Speeder dating all the way back to 1999. I think he's also been in three different packaging incarnations of Saga Legends as well the "Tatooine Desert Ambush" Battle Pack.

He's an okay figure, but the obvious runt of this set. Sidious is miles ahead of his apprentice in design, paint apps and articulation.
I'm actually surprised that we didn't get this Sidious in the basic Movie Heroes line. He would have made a lot more sense than a couple of the ones that did make it into the line. This Sidious has never been released on a Basic cardback and might do kinda well if he showed up on one. Some people never saw or couldn't get the Sith Evolutions set in 2005 or 2006.
DarthEddie wrote:I'm actually surprised that we didn't get this Sidious in the basic Movie Heroes line. He would have made a lot more sense than a couple of the ones that did make it into the line. This Sidious has never been released on a Basic cardback and might do kinda well if he showed up on one. Some people never saw or couldn't get the Sith Evolutions set in 2005 or 2006.

That's exactly the reason why the put him in a 2-pack with the crappy "forever" Maul mold so the set would sell. My local Target is sitting in 2-3 pegs full of these sets and the Vader/Ani ones :?
AaylaSecurasMan wrote:
DarthEddie wrote:I'm actually surprised that we didn't get this Sidious in the basic Movie Heroes line. He would have made a lot more sense than a couple of the ones that did make it into the line. This Sidious has never been released on a Basic cardback and might do kinda well if he showed up on one. Some people never saw or couldn't get the Sith Evolutions set in 2005 or 2006.

That's exactly the reason why the put him in a 2-pack with the crappy "forever" Maul mold so the set would sell. My local Target is sitting in 2-3 pegs full of these sets and the Vader/Ani ones :?

Same here. They're warming pretty badly. Target supposedly had a choice between these 2-packs and an exclusive Ewok/AT-ST vehicle set. They went with the Sith villains because they thought they'd be better sellers. Boy, did the company ever miss the mark on that one. :roll: I'd rather buy a 2012-packaged AT-ST with an Ewok figure...it sounds so, so much cooler even if it might have been kinda pricey. At least collectors and some kids would want an AT-ST on markdown. Nobody wants these 2-packs. :?
darth_sidious wrote:Where'd you hear that? I dont recall a rumored AT-ST w/ Ewok...?

I can't vouch for the bulletproof authenticity of the story, but I read it a couple of times on either Jedi Temple Archives or another one of the big collecting sites. If the comments are true the story goes like this: Target was supposedly offered and took an interest in two different Hasbro exclusives to help promote the 3-D release of Episode I...the Sith villain two-packs and an AT-ST with an Ewok. But the company had to pick one or the other and decided to go with the two-packs because they contained core, popular characters and were cheaper, thus Target probably thought they'd sell better. I'm sure someone would understandably ask: what do a vehicle and furry character from Episode VI have to do with THE PHANTOM MENACE? What's the tie-in? Sensible. But I guess consistency isn't Hasbro's strongest suit since roughly half of the first wave of Movie Heroes figures aren't from Episode I either. And two of the four figures in the Sith villain packs aren't from the first prequel...Vader is an Original Trilogy figure and Sidious is clearly based on his appearance towards the end of REVENGE OF THE SITH.

Take the story for what you will. Like I said, I don't know just how true the AT-ST story is. Perhaps Jayson or Chewie(or both) know more about this and can shed some light? But I wanted to make sure everyone knew I didn't just pull this out of my hind end. It's something that got mentioned more than once on another collector's site and I wanted to report it in case there's any validity to the story. If the AT-ST *did* get past the drawing board and packaged samples got produced I'd be very, very interested to see what it was going to look like.
I'm usually aware of all the news stories, and I havent heard a peep about anything like that. Anything Ewok related, and I'm sure to follow the news as well - sounds like a rumor or wishlist item, not actually something that was in the works. It could have flown in under my radar, but I'd be surprised. As Jocasta Nu says, "if an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist." :wink:
^
You could be right for all I know. The Jedi Temple Archives story(was it from Paul? The head of that site? He's a great guy but nobody has a flawless track record) could have been somebody getting some facts confused, but who knows. I guess we'll find out for sure sooner or later. If a photo of an AT-ST surfaces at some point and it's said to have been "an exclusive that didn't get greenlit" then maybe it was the Target one I read the stories about. Maybe Chewie or Jayson know something about this story.
I reckon it's true, whenever i buy older SW toys on Ebay a few days later a new version of it is announced and a couple of days ago i recieved a unopened POTJ AT ST/Speeder Bike and Paploo in the post!! :lol:
^
:lol:

See? Proof positive!

Well, whether it's true or not I still think a 2012-packaged AT-ST with a bonus figure would have been a hundred times better than the Sith villain packs. Target would probably charge at least $39.99 for it and most of them would end up on the markdown shelves a couple of months later, but at least there'd be moderate interest in a repackaged AT-ST that comes with a figure. The way these 2-packs are going Target going to have to mark them down to $3.00 or less to sell any.
Yeah another AT ST with a new figure... and new speeder back would have been better. Have we had an updated Paploo i can't remember?
Wasn't Paploo released in the Legacy Collection sometime between 2008 and 2010? Maybe as part of a two-pack of Ewoks? I'll have to check the Toyguide and other references. The last Paploo I actually remember is the POTJ one that came with the Speeder Bike and AT-ST.
Yes, a new Paploo was released a few years ago in a 2-pack, probably one of the best 2-packs ever. The POTJ version and the Legacy version actually look nothing alike, so I have both. If there is any truth to the AT-ST rumor, I hope the Ewok is a repack, because I dont buy vehicles - but I do collect Ewoks! :P Speaking of the AT-ST, when the heck are they going to repack that pilot, there were rumors it would be this year...
Black Spire Outpost- WIP

Very inspiring! Makes me want to get back into ge[…]

Target Exclusive Gamorrean Guard

:lol: LOL, no 2 gammoreans already. I woul[…]

Mimban Stormtrooper

Good point, I've noticed a figure stained before t[…]

Star Wars Hot Wheels

I love this line, because I can actually collect s[…]

Community fodder box...

Sure, I'll toss a few bucks in there. Canada shi[…]

Load the Barge!

Bib Fortuna (new sculpt) Tessek (new sculpt) […]