Image Image Image Image Image

2013 Deluxes - 2 figures in each pack

Non-Vintage and non-Clone Wars products featuring the Darth Maul, Yoda and Vader packaging design

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: 2013 Deluxes - 2 figures in each pack

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Definitely the coolest of the 4 sets in my opinion. Still not unhappy about passing for now though. Maybe later I'll change my mind. It's not like any of these should end up being hard to get...

:wink:
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:07 pm

It looks great in person. I'll be getting a second one to leave boxed so I'm planning on cracking this one open and deploying the fighter from my MTT. That blue Battle Droid might look pretty sweet reclining in the cockpit, and the Obi-Wan is great desk display fodder with that incredible Ewan McGregor head.
"We lived through another day... it's a good excuse to celebrate."

-Soul Asylum, "Can't Even Tell"(1994)
AaylaSecurasMan
Senator

Postby AaylaSecurasMan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 pm

I am on the fence about the MTT ones, will be picking up Yoda's SF for sure.
Che la forza sia con voi
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 pm

The AT-RT with the Clone Wars droid might be a pickup for me later on. The Dropship isn't really that appealing at the moment and the Yoda Attack Fighter is just....nope. Can't go for that one.

It doesn't help that the paint job on the new Yoda's eyes is just plain awful and almost ruins the entire figure. I admire the use of Build-a-Droid technology for the astromech dome on the Fighter and it's something I'd love to see used on a lot of future Prequel and OT fighters and other vehicles, but the wonky, unattractive Yoda and uninspired Super Battle Droid rehash combine to make the Yoda set one to avoid, especially at full retail price.

Jedimaster-c
Cantina Bartender

Postby Jedimaster-c » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 am

Saw these at my TRU as well. I already have the Dropship from the previous line and I like that one better.
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:40 pm

I agree that the old Dropship looks better. There's nothing really wrong with the brand new one, but this set offers nothing new enough to get excited about. Besides, if you have the Evolutions Clone-to-Stormtrooper set from a few years back you have the Clone Pilot that comes with this.

darthmadonna
Bounty Hunter

Postby darthmadonna » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Yes the dropship is a great vehicle but for some reason the repaint is just not resonating with me. I like blue too but the red one for some reason feels more authentic star Wars to me.
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:38 pm

I can vouch for the play value of the MTT Droid Fighter set. It interacts surprisingly well with the MTT Transport itself and the two figures - while not the kind of toys you want to will to your grandchildren as golden relics of a bygone era - are very good considering their lack of articulation.

darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:18 pm

darthmadonna wrote:Yes the dropship is a great vehicle but for some reason the repaint is just not resonating with me. I like blue too but the red one for some reason feels more authentic star Wars to me.

I totally agree - I prefer the red deco on the original, as well as the CW figure. Same goes for the Attack Recon Fighter with Anakin, I wish they stuck with the original red / yellow deco that was slated to come with Obi-wan, instead of turning it blue:

http://www.16bit.com/dump/120123.jpg
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

The repaint effort is just cheap on Hasbro's part... I could stomach it if the clone has the VC #45 body... I might have even bought it then.

And the MTT set, if it came with a decent Obi Wan, I might have bought it. Or two battle droids. Or a Gungan instead of Kenboi... I'm just really, really tired of EPI Obi Wan Kenobi figures.

:wink:
darthmadonna
Bounty Hunter

Postby darthmadonna » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:34 pm

darth_sidious wrote:
darthmadonna wrote:Yes the dropship is a great vehicle but for some reason the repaint is just not resonating with me. I like blue too but the red one for some reason feels more authentic star Wars to me.

I totally agree - I prefer the red deco on the original, as well as the CW figure. Same goes for the Attack Recon Fighter with Anakin, I wish they stuck with the original red / yellow deco that was slated to come with Obi-wan, instead of turning it blue:

http://www.16bit.com/dump/120123.jpg

Oh heck yeah that Republic paint job on the Recon fighter is so much better. That is another lil ship I think is great but yes the red/yellow paint job really makes it feel right.
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:04 am

I don't mind the Obi-Wan with the MTT Fighter, I'm just stumped as to why they keep reusing an Obi-Wan with these Naboo and droid-themed vehicles. Obi-Wan was fighting in Theed in the hangar and generator complex when the battle between the Gungans and the Droid Army was being waged.

I'm sure someone will say "because he's a core character and Hasbro wants to put a big name in these sets to help sell them." If that's true....explain the Gunship Pilot and the TX-21 Tactical Droid?

darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:40 pm

I think the theme is simple with these sets: a good guy, a bad guy, and a vehicle - its probably more of a battlepack than the actual battlepacks - its a smart idea. I think the main reason this Obi-wan and Tactical Droid were included is because they have minimal articulation and are cheap to repaint...
DarthEddie
Supreme Chancellor

Postby DarthEddie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah, I suppose so. Plus the Obi-Wan is a very recent and brand new figure (the 2012 Naboo Battle Pack) and Hasbro probably wants to squeeze as much mileage out of this mold as possible even if it has just five points of articulation.

If it had been me I'd have recycled the DTF/Vintage Gungan Warrior minus the big farseein binoculars and the two-piece cesta pole (an atlatl would probably suffice for a set like this) since the figure had already been recycled on a Vintage Collection cardback and Hasbro had already milked the mold a few extra miles to get back some of its tooling costs. I don't think a Gungan would have been cost prohibitive and it would have been a good guy/hero figure for the kids, but a no-name Gungan Warrior doesn't have the zing and kick of seeing "Obi-Wan Kenobi" plastered on the packaging. I suppose name recognition was a major factor as well.

darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 am

So far from this wave I've seen the dropship and the AT-RT at TRU. I knew I was passing on the dropship, but I was considering buying the AT-RT, until I saw it - the deco was bad and the clone was yellowing. Likewise, these are $23-25 at TRU compared to the $20 they will be at Target / WM, so I left it.

Return to “Movie Heroes/Discover the Force (2012)/Saga Legends (2013)”