Non-Vintage and non-Clone Wars products featuring the Darth Maul, Yoda and Vader packaging design

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Does Movie Heroes 2013 look more promising than 2012?

Yes
23%
No
69%
Too early to tell
8%
By YAK_Chewie
Looks to me like Hasbro actually has learned that they screwed the pooch in 2012 with this line, and are kicking things off with some much better choices to start 2013...

Wave 1 - February 2013

Battle Droid w/ split apart feature - Not bad, I like the sculpt as long as it's taller than the TVC battle droid, and I'm fine with red as long as I can also find the tan version

Sandtrooper w/ electronic rifle - I like this a lot... it's essentially a good Stormtrooper with more gear, and hell, the cannon looks interesting to me!

The rest of the wave will be comprised of carry forwards... which I feel is fine, as long as the figures actually are good sculpts like these two.

:wink:
By Paulskywalker
Have Hasbor got to you Chewie, you seem to be towing the line like RS and GH do. Hasbro slaps us in the face and expects us to thank them for it.

The droid is ok. The Gardeningtrooper, what the hell! There will be a Sandtrooper in the BAD line and that gun looks awful, kids haven't exactly been jumping on the limited articulation, gimmick riddled figures of this year.

Carry forwards too aye, so nothing learnt.
By YAK_Chewie
What I see is hopefully a better approach than what we've seen this year. I've been pretty critical of them on a lot of levels. But I'm not going to bash a couple figures that I personally like just for the sake of it.

As for the Sandtrooper, he's different than the one in the B.A.D. line because this one is pure white (essentially a Stormtrooper with extra gear, and a gun that's different than what we've seen in the past). I don't see a reason to bash that. It seems like a good call to have a Stormtrooper available at retail most of the time, and this one looks good and I don't see it as having limited articulation - or am I missing something?

Would you be complaining if it didn't have all the extra gear? If not, I don't get the issue... I see it as a well sculpted Stormtrooper with lots of extra accessories. To me, that's a good thing and nothing to complain about.

By Paulskywalker
Yeah but people have been complaining there was too many Sandtroopers and now we get to one of which is gimmicky.

Am sorry but it's clear with most of the reveal that fans are no longer welcome and they've decided that they want to make basic toys for kids without the hassle of us.
By YAK_Chewie
I didn't think there were too many Sandtroopers lately personally, I thought the issue with the white ones in TVC was that so many of them had choppy/chewed on belts and some greening of armor. It kept me from army building them by the dozen. That's one figure that I think the quality was the biggest issue on (as well as all phase 2 VC clones)... they might be overdoing it with the dirty ones by having them in Wave 6 TVC this year and in Wave 1 B.A.D. next year, but they look damn good.

Anyways, with less focus being put on Clone Wars, it seems to me like Hasbro's actually taking a more measured approach and trying to balance things out more in 2013... and I thought the answers in the various Q&A's from DePriest, for the first time in a very long time, really showed a sincere appreciation for the collecting community and an acknowledgement that they really did a bad job in 2012...

We really won't know until next year if things are changing for the better with the Hasbro team's approach, but I can't imagine they'd want to use the 2012 formula again. Their blunders had to cost their company millions of dollars.

By Paulskywalker
No i doubt their using 2012 approach, their going for a whole new angle with the pee everyone off stakes.

You say less attention on CWs is good, but its not for those whole collect them, crap choices and repacks, and now they anounce their cutting the figures down to 5 points of articulation. It seems those crappy OT BPs were a sign of things to come.

It appears collectors are getting just BAD, exclusives and deluxe, if you don't like the new vehicles and BPs.
By YAK_Chewie
I just don't see it that Hasbro's trying to piss anyone off. I think what they're doing is trying to do just the opposite.

As for Clone Wars, it's not going away, but clearly it's not the hot item it was in 2008-2010. And I didn't say them scaling it back is a good thing, but I don't see it as bad either. I always thought it was a bit of a fad personally, and never got into it. Seeing how poorly the original 2 hr episode did in theaters told me that there wasn't nearly as big of a market for it as there is for the movies... plus, ever since Hasbro's focused so much on it, it seems like the collector focused line has suffered. I think they did miss the boat with not including more all new figures, but I wasn't buying them. Cartoony looking aliens, droids, etc. don't fit into my collection. I understand some like that, and that's great, but it doesn't seem to be the direction Hasbro's leaning anymore.

For the "adult collector" I think Hasbro's going to try and really win us back in 2013 - and I think taking focus off of Clone Wars proves that... if regular figures and exclusives aren't enough to keep people happy, that's pretty typical. We're never going to be completely happy - I've been mad for over a decade that they don't have a clue how to make a good playset. But you also have people who want everything on a vintage card, and have an heart attack if they get a figure in the mail that isn't 100% mint... there's so many niches in this hobby, Hasbro can't make everyone happy. They are a company out to make money, and are going to make some good decisions and bad ones, just like any other company. They're just under a magnifying glass by us because we're so obsessed with this hobby and want them to cater to our personal wants (which I'm guilty of too). But heck, that's why I customize and bought so many custom playsets from Owen D - because Hasbro isn't going to make everything I want them to.

By Paulskywalker
Well i find the concern is that if limited articulation MH and CW happen to be a good thing in their mind, then comes next all movie figures just like those BPs which almost seem like a forewarning now. I understand they can't cater to everyone, but my concern is that they think they have a strong kid consumer base so don't need collectors; what kind of strategy is that isolate part of your customers. Wouldn't it make sense to encourage as many customers as possible.

As for CW i find a lot of kids still watching the series and buying the toys, i often see lil boys explaining such and such clonetrooper does this; my own nephews to my pleasure have recently got into it as the other kids in school are into it.
By YAK_Chewie
I think people are taking frustration from 2012 out on the 2013 movie heroes line. We don't know what all is in it yet, but we have seen two figures so far that are FAR better by comparison from the army builders in Wave 1 from 2012.

The Sandtrooper looks far superior to the action feature Shocktrooper and silly jetpack clone - no? And isn't this battle droid looking a lot better than the one on pegs since January? To me, that's a step in the right direction. How can it not be?

By Paulskywalker
Well some stores have put their price up f MH wave 2, while others struggle to movie wave 1 here. So will this be a case of limited articulation and gimmicks with prices going up instead of down.

I think some of the frustration of 2012 you speak of is due to the fact it's been said that Hasbro cut the SW budget because of poor performance, so the whole kids price cutting thing all seems to be another excuse.
By Paulskywalker
Just seen the repacks for this wave, so R2 D2 is going to be in all three lines.
By jedishume
Here's a link to part of the Hasbro image gallery, currently on the yakface homepage: http://yakfaceforums.com/gallery/thumbn ... 106&page=2

As far as Movie Heroes, for me it was really the first wave that was truly awful. The 2nd wave of Phantom Menace figures were all actually quite good (if you could find them, of course) and I am dying to get my hands on the Vader with light-up lightsaber. Glad to see that is a carry forward figure in 2013, as that takes some of the pressure off trying to find it this year.

I'm not crazy about Movie Heroes, but I understand why Hasbro is doing it. They want to keep Vader, R2, Fett, troopers, etc on shelves without putting them in the BAD line. How much more would we complain if we had to buy repack figures just to get the BAD parts in 2013? I hated it when they did that with some of the figures in the last BAD line, personally.
By YAK_Chewie
I agree, the Movie Heroes line serves a purpose for Hasbro and parents, but I do wish the figures included had a little more collector crossover, like the Legends lines did.

Also, upon closer inspection, the Sandtrooper's gun might be molded to his arm... which would not be cool to me... plus, I think you can see a button on his stomach for the gun to light up:

I have yet to find the Mimban Stormtrooper at Walm[…]

Battle of Crait 4-pk

I got the gunner by itself off of ebay. They shou[…]

Yakfinities #70 - DROIDS

darthvlad: Great looking droids you keep crank[…]

I've got my spot in the basement picked out for th[…]

Now this looks way better then Hasbro version! Su[…]

Between RO and Solo I think RO has the edge and is[…]

I loved Solo, been watching it pretty much every d[…]

Solo: Recent Acquisitions

I have yet to see the Force Link 2.0 line on any o[…]