Non-Vintage and non-Clone Wars products featuring the Darth Maul, Yoda and Vader packaging design

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

By YAK_Jayson
Just got a case of wave 2 from Entertainment Earth and I'm happy to say there are no carry-forwards. In essence the case consists of 4 each of the wave 2 sets including Han/Chewie, C-3PO/R2and Maul/Obi-Wan
By darth_sidious
That's good news - hopefully they wont be difficult to find at retail. I am looking forward to that Maul figure - and Obi looks good as well - the sculpt is nice, the only thing I don't like is the Y crotch articulation, it looks like a frakkin field goal post. If they found a way to make the skirt look better on Jedi, I think more collectors would consider buying a few...
By Paulskywalker
Saw the photo archive for these on JTA, awful, awful things; especially the Han and Chewie. I want to say bootleg-ish as the word that comes to mind when i see them.
By darth_sidious
I don't think they're that horrible - though I agree that Chewie looks like a bootleg - which I said when I first saw him. C3PO actually looks like a good figure, though I really have no desire to see these droids anymore. Give us a BAD mold C3PO and be done with him already. I think the MS line is a mixed bag, a few ugly figures, but overall a good assortment and pricepoint for kids...
By YAK_Chewie
Found these at Wal-Mart in Fenton, MO today...

Two of the four 3PO sets I saw had eyes like this...

I ended up finding one 3PO set worth buying - passed on the Han/Chewie and Maul/Kenobi. I just can't buy figures that I consider downgrades of what I currently own. If I want that Maul, I could probably make a custom... but you know, I'm kind of sick of Maul and to me he died in 1999, and figures of him that go past TPM don't really do much for me. I think it kind of cheapens Star Wars with how they brought him back for the Clone Wars.

I'm pretty content with the 3PO/R2 that I ended up buying. That's worth $10.00... I might get another set when I find another 3PO with good eyes.

:wink:
By UKHistory
I like 3PO alright. But a gold leaf color BAD would be the best version Hasbro could make. Don't overthink this: the BAD was the best protocol droid mold ever and nothing will improve on it in my view. For me this 3PO unit will be good background filler.

I do like the fact that Hasbro made OTC in this style. But the final product is weak. The Han is alright (save for the Head and its eyes) but the figure's left leg when move to a sitting (or kicking) position wears down the scultp on the hip. That is poor design.

I was excited about the r2 unit until I compared the new r4 to the previous r4. It is an extra but honestly I liked the 1995 r2d2 much better so there is not a lot of reason to buy this one. I initially wanted 2 r4 units after looking, I just want to save my money.

Chewie is alright--for another background wookie. Now the bowcaster is horrible as it falls apart. The lack of attention to detail and quality is insulting.

The one gem to me is Darth maul. The Kenobi is fine but Maul is a figure I like. He is neat to look at it in my view.

Chewie's comment about Maul dying in 1999 is one I sort of agree with. However, I think the fact that Maul has been reborn in EU speaks to the fact that 1) Maul is visually appealing to SW fans (his image was the face of the marketing for epidsode I toys) and 2) In part because of the marketing around this cool bad guy, Maul's screen time was too darn short for fans. The Phantom Menace should have been retitled the Phantom plot but it is clear fans thought Maul died too soon.

Maul was worthy of being the main villains for at least two films. Considering Lucas had to come up with 2 more sabre wielding villains in Dooku and Grievous to replace him this is evident.

The style and quality of these figures lends them as the key pack in accessory for vehicles. In 2002 Hasbro made figures with very limited articulation similarly to the Dragon Heart figures from 1995 (a very good source of custom fodder in my view) that could not fit in any of the vehicles they were producing. Figures of this quality that can comfortably fit in vehicles are a good idea.

So far though the only figure that really shines in this style offering is the stormtrooper. And we don't have near enough of him.
By YAK_Jayson
Here is how I envision Vintage versions of these figure/sets to look - reserved only for OT characters. (i.e. no prequel or Clone Wars characters.)

By AaylaSecurasMan
I agree Jayson, that mock up looks great BUT then the price will no longer be $10 but $20 :? Just because of that beautiful package :x
By Tamer
Wow, I would so be into the Mission Series and the 5 POA figures if they would have come in packaging like this.

Nice work Jayson. Color me impressed!
By darth_sidious
Received the MS Maul & Obi-wan 2-pack from Amazon, for $10-11, these really are great sets. My Obi figure suffered from some sloppy deco, but it was nothing an exacto blade couldn't scratch off. I hope the Rebels figures don't suffer from bad paint apps. I don't mind the 5 POA, but bad deco can ruin a figure. I bought this set for Maul, but Obi is a surprisingly good figure - very solid, and a great likeness. I wish they'd do more CW themed MS 2-packs - how about Bo Katan and a generic Death Watch mando?!

Wow! The detail work on LL-3PO is fantastic. I re[…]

Man, that Jawa Scout Crawler is a great looking ve[…]

Yakfinities #70 - DROIDS

More great submissions. mousedroidhoojib That a[…]

Whoa. That's really nice stuff. :wink:

Target Exclusive Gamorrean Guard

Picked up my fourth and final Gamorrean Guard this[…]

Solo: 3.75" Figures Revealed

Definite Buy: Beckett and Val Probable Buy: L3 a[…]

Community fodder box...

I messaged you my address man! And thank you every[…]

I will be going but only on Sunday due to scheduli[…]