Non-Vintage and non-Clone Wars products featuring the Darth Maul, Yoda and Vader packaging design

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

By OGTrilogy
I found some of these for the first time in the KC area last night. I picked up the Saga Legends Maroon Astromech to use as filler in an eventual diorama and the Mission Series pack with Vader and the floating Droid. I'm suprized that these figures don't seem to have ball-socket heads. I can't imagine they would be more expensive than the swivel only heads. The Paint apps and Sculpting looks alright, but I can't see myself buying more than a few of these. The characters with butt capes and robes that hang below the waist especially look craptacular.

I am interested in the Mission Series Pack with R2 and 3PO though. I much prefer the mat finish on C-3PO to the vac-metalized versions. Are 3PO and R2 in the first wave and I just missed them or ar they in an upcoming wave?
By YAK_Chewie
Yeah - I hate the Jedi figures, personally. I think it was a mistake for Hasbro to go so old school on those figures for the "butt robes" - they should have done sometime more like this, instead:

As for the R2/3PO set, that's part of Wave 2... doubt we'll see those before November.

:wink:
By AaylaSecurasMan
Got the Vader/Seeker droid just for the droid but I liked the sturdy Vader, needed one like this to choke Antilles since my TVC one could't hold him up top like that.
Attachments
Vaderseeker.JPG
Vaderseeker.JPG (136.6 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
By The Professor
YAK_Chewie wrote:Yeah - I hate the Jedi figures, personally. I think it was a mistake for Hasbro to go so old school on those figures for the "butt robes" - they should have done sometime more like this, instead:

As for the R2/3PO set, that's part of Wave 2... doubt we'll see those before November.

Yeah, the light-colored Jedi robes really look bad with the split leg look. Obi-Wan is terrible whereas Anakin is okay because you can't see it as well with the dark brown. It's a very vintage look, but I definitely agree that they should have gone with the POTF-style skirts.
By darth_sidious
I picked up the Vader / Seeker set, and overall I am rather pleased. These sets are a great value - I just wish the droid were packed with a character I didn't have a dozen versions of already. The sculpt on Vader is actually decent, and it does look / feel retro, but with so many other Vaders, I simply don't need it. I'll probably end up trading it if someone wants it. This line has huge potential, but I think that all depends on Hasbro's character selections going forward.
By YAK_Jayson
JTA reveals new sets in Walmart's databank

Obi-Wan Kenobi and General Grievous
Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker (Episode V)
Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka
By Paulskywalker
Hasbro guy 1 'Hey at the end of last year and the beginning this we had S/A Vintage CWs Anakin, Kenobi and Ashoka out, but they were impossible to find for most people who had to go to the Indies and the net for them. So why don't we put them out again?'

Hasbro guy 2 'Don't be silly we don't want to get our money back on already existing newish molds, that would surely reduce the costing. We want to spend more money make new less articulated molds.'

Hasbro guy 1 'Now that's why your the boss.'
By darth_sidious
Well, the TVC CW Ahsoka and Obi-wan were $13 and online exclusives - which is unreasonable to ask a kid to pay or track down in my opinion, so a cheaper alternative makes sense to me. I think Hasbro is probably worried that repacking them in the TBS line would lead to diminished sales because many collectors already have them and a number of kids / parents aren't fond about paying $10-11 for figures...
By YAK_Chewie
I agree that Ahsoka is a good choice. But another Anakin when there are two alread available (Legends and Mission Series) is a mistake.

On any note, I'm already getting bored with the 5POA figures. I bought a few that I liked, but the Jedi suck. Not buying those. And from the looks of things, other people in my area like them even less than I do - they are not selling. Black Series figures sell out the day they get stocked, however.

By Paulskywalker
The point i was making was wouldn't an existing mold be cheaper than a new mold...

Yeah don't seem to be selling here too.
By darth_sidious
Paulskywalker wrote:The point i was making was wouldn't an existing mold be cheaper than a new mold...

Yeah don't seem to be selling here too.

You'd think that would be the case - but Hasbro even answered that question - saying that sculpting a new 5 POA figure is cheaper than a 14 POA repack. Add on the additional deco, softgoods, accessories, & plastic skirt and you raise the cost even more. I thought a simple repack would be the cheapest route as well, but according to Hasbro, it isn't...
Last edited by darth_sidious on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Paulskywalker
Kind of funny when their own Q&As said the mould was the most expensive thing and often the issue.
By YAK_Chewie
I can understand that making all new 5POA figures is a lot cheaper than repacking ones that have 14 POA - I can understand that... look at all the assembly required for the 14POA figures...

For example, it's probably not the sculpting on a solid leg that's real expensive... for Hasbro's team, that's probably damn simple. But adding in ball jointed knees and ankles too, and assembling it all? I can see, for example, a VC quality figure being produced (even a repack) costing at least twice per unit on Hasbro's end than a 5POA figure . An effecient sculptor might have made all the Legends figures on just 1-2 month's salary considering how simple they are. Sculpting 5POA figures is probably just a drop in the bucket for Hasbro.

Walmart and TVC

I knew Walmart inflated some prices on their websi[…]

John Morog Customs - GNK-O

Well, that's strange, I saw that Mudtrooper office[…]

Hasbro's should have come with two heads... one wi[…]

HasLab Wish list

$30 would be a hard sell for most collectors in my[…]

I'm glad I at least caught episode 1 in 3D.

AT-ACT

Kind of makes me feel foolish for buying it right […]

Unfortunately haha, it's always a weird run around[…]

Yakfinities #70 - DROIDS

Winding down on my droid factory for the holidays.[…]