Droid Factory Line Returns in 2013

Return of the Build-A-Droid!

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Droid Factory Line Returns in 2013

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:44 pm

What are everyone's thoughts?

Personally, I think this is great news. TVC is cool, but packaging isn't a selling point for me. Good figures are, and cool pack-ins. So this is potentially a great move as far as I'm concerned... but seeing what looks like two repacks right off the bat? Yikes.

:wink:
Rune Haako
Rebel / Imperial Pilot

Re: Droid Factory Line Returns in 2013

Postby Rune Haako » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:56 pm

The Biker Scout could have ball-jointed hips, not sure about R2.
YAK_Jayson
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Jayson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:39 pm

What 2 "repacks" are you referring to? Padme looks to be modified (note the battle damaged clothing), I think R2 is a BAD mold with the booster rockets. The only repack I see is probably the Biker Scout.
Jayson
Yakface Reporter/Reviewer/Photographer/Toyguide Manager
Member of the JediDefender Twin Cities Collector Club

Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on our Facebook page.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate... hate leads to incessant complaining.
darthmadonna
Bounty Hunter

Postby darthmadonna » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm

I am on the fence here. I am a fork in the road Hasbro has made thelast couple of years pretty rank for me. I want to walk away but I love Star Wars so much. I could hang in there some more beyond TVC but it will be make or break for me, I guess depending availability.

I do like the Padme even if it is Hasbro's 500th variation of Geo Padme. She looks like a a good solid figure.
zedhatch

Postby zedhatch » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 pm

The first time I felt I was forced into figs I wouldn't normally buy, kind of feel the same here. I ultimately didn't regret any of the purchases but if they make these into repacks like the past few years I might feel slighted.
Updated Mon-Fri every week
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:21 pm

YAK_Jayson wrote:What 2 "repacks" are you referring to? Padme looks to be modified (note the battle damaged clothing), I think R2 is a BAD mold with the booster rockets. The only repack I see is probably the Biker Scout.

Just my opinion, but I consider the R2-D2 a repack even it has booster rockets. Basically, a figure we already have with an accessory that cost Hasbro about a nickel to make (or repack from previous B.A.D. booster rockets).

So, I don't see much effort from Hasbro with these first three figures to launch what is supposed to be a new line for 2013... and if Padme has old parts, it makes sense - but that would mean none of these figures required all new tooling. Not that I won't buy a couple Padme figures, but I might pass on the other two. Kind of a shame. A little weathering on the Biker Scout and some carbon scoring on R2-D2 would go a long way... but it doesn't look like that's something they decided to do.

Who knows, maybe the rest of this wave will rock. But if this is an indication of how 2013 is going to launch, I'm not feeling too good about things.

The Professor
Forum Admin

Postby The Professor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 am

I'm not thrilled about this because as difficult as the last few waves of the original BAD waves were to find and how difficult it's been to find figures now, I have a feeling it will be next to impossible to actually build the droids unless you buy cases of waves.
Chewie, take The Professor in back and plug him into the hyperdrive!
Trooper31
Pod Racer

Postby Trooper31 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 am

Glad to see BAD returning. I think both Padme and the Biker Scout are new-newish (torn shirt on Padme and hopefully BJ hips on the scout). Is the R2 a figure in the wave or one of the BADs?

I agree with Chewie, I want great figures and cool pack-ins.

Another point about that slide, it seems we might see mixed waves from the beginning of 2013 and not a full AOTC wave. Has Hasbro learned something from this year?
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby Paulskywalker » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:56 am

darthmadonna wrote:
I do like the Padme even if it is Hasbro's 500th variation of Geo Padme. She looks like a a good solid figure.

I maybe wrong but wouldn't this be the first torn up version of Geo Padme since the very first figure in that outfit? Personally am glad as the was a statue.
If i wanted figures like Rebels and Legends series i'd build a time machine. Even if i did want them, i'd probably still need a time machine..
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 am

I'm glad BAD is coming back. Vintage packing is great but I'm an opener, so as long as the figures are good. Another plus I see is although none of us really WANT to buy figures we don't like, people may buy a couple just to get the parts, which could mean more sell through and less pegwarming of some. However, distribution has to improve drastically.
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:30 am

The Professor makes a good point, with distribution issues, building the droids could be hell! But, I'm still excited to see the concept come back, and I do think it can help sales... let's just hope it doesn't mean yet another price hike because of the droid parts.

Sybeck1
Droid

Postby Sybeck1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 am

So far so boring, hopefully it picks up
The Menace on the pegs is no Phantom!
AaylaSecurasMan
Senator

Postby AaylaSecurasMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:36 am

I am just hoping that the droids that can be built will be different to the ones already offered on the original BAD line a few years ago.

I like this concept.
Che la forza sia con voi
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:00 am

I love the concept too... and really, really hope somehow we get C-3PO in this format using the B.A.D. protocol droid sculpt.

Some other cool droids we could maybe get...

T3-M4 (KOTOR astromech)
3D-4 (adminisitrative droid)
Commando Droid (realistic style)
Hunter Killer Probot
Sentinal Droid

I didn't add any regular style astromechs to the list... because personally, I'm pretty burnt out on them... and I'd really love to see Hasbro tie this into the TOR stuff if possible, since we're really not getting many other figures from that line like I had hoped.

Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:12 am

You're absolutely right. While I love the BAD astromechs, I do feel they've gotten over saturated (rebel pilots too!). I'd love to see more EU droids. How about a BAD Proxy? Or a gonk droid. Two legs, and two halves of the box. Make it similar to the new opening top gonk.
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?

Return to “CANCELLED: 2013 Legacy Collection”