Return of the Build-A-Droid!

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

#126040
Maybe their addicted to the big reveal and the praise lol.
User avatar
By Trooper31
#126058
Back in Black....hmmm, hopefully it is the line to replace Legacy and not something like Angry Birds.

The biggest question for me is why did they cancel Legacy after making such a big show at SDCC and CVI?? I know that they can give away every piece of info and sometimes they have to put on a good face even when something bad is coming, but cancelling a line, even if their seemed to be lackluster support in the collecting community, seems like a rather harsh decision.

Do they really have that many cases of TVC leftover? Also, a 9-10 month gap is a fairly large time period even if in Hasbro's planning they still have TVC out there.
User avatar
By Choi
#126060
Trooper31 wrote:Back in Black....hmmm, hopefully it is the line to replace Legacy and not something like Angry Birds.

The biggest question for me is why did they cancel Legacy after making such a big show at SDCC and CVI?? I know that they can give away every piece of info and sometimes they have to put on a good face even when something bad is coming, but cancelling a line, even if their seemed to be lackluster support in the collecting community, seems like a rather harsh decision.

Do they really have that many cases of TVC leftover? Also, a 9-10 month gap is a fairly large time period even if in Hasbro's planning they still have TVC out there.

-With the time frame they supposedly plan ahead, they probably had planned Legacy under the assumption that AOTC would come out at the same time as TPM. After the TPM failure, they (being themselves) took the results to mean that one movie waves were a bad idea, so they took out some of the AOTC figures and added some easy OT fillers. Then they find out, post C6 that AOTC is coming in the fall, so they cancel the whole line and now have an easy way to get rid of all their TVC backup.
User avatar
By Trooper31
#126062
I agree they were caught unawares on AOTC. However, I had hoped they could have sent out wave 2 first then.

Oh well, the line's been cancelled, so we'll have to wait to see what's up next.
User avatar
By YAK_Chewie
#126063
It seems like Hasbro's holding something back on full picture here. I think more will be revealed at Toy Fair, including some involvement by Disney as the reason for the cancellation of the line.

Anyways, if this was going to result in a price hike, then I'm glad to see the line not happen. We don't need $12.00 USD figures. Esepcially not when half (or more) of the line is repacks. I've had it with Hasbro raising prices with repacks. They need to figure out a way resolve the pricing problems - that has a lot to do with their annual distribution problems too. Sucky repacks linger for a while causing logjams - especially when they are too pricey to begin with.

Personally, I think I'm glad this line isn't going to happen. Now I don't have to buy figures I don't want just for the droid part.

:wink:
#126064
As a result, we have decided to rework our 3.75” figure program to create a line that is on-par with the quality and pricing of the Vintage Collection. Many of the figures intended for the Droid Factory will become available in this new line in the fall. We’ll be able to share more news on this at Toy Fair.

This worries me. I just hope that they keep the good figures and the BADs (like I said before)
#126085
YAK_Chewie wrote:It seems like Hasbro's holding something back on full picture here. I think more will be revealed at Toy Fair, including some involvement by Disney as the reason for the cancellation of the line.

Anyways, if this was going to result in a price hike, then I'm glad to see the line not happen. We don't need $12.00 USD figures. Esepcially not when half (or more) of the line is repacks. I've had it with Hasbro raising prices with repacks. They need to figure out a way resolve the pricing problems - that has a lot to do with their annual distribution problems too. Sucky repacks linger for a while causing logjams - especially when they are too pricey to begin with.

Personally, I think I'm glad this line isn't going to happen. Now I don't have to buy figures I don't want just for the droid part.

:wink:


I have to agree, a price hike just isnt going to fly again, especially when you consider every year is going to be a movie year for the next few years, right? They should actually be lowering the price to pull more people in. I think that was one of the issues with the vintage TPM figures, $10-11 action figures just arent as appealing to casual collectors and kids. Just because dedicated collectors can pay high prices, doesnt mean we will - especially on repacks. I think the collecting landscape is also changing. As soon as this line was announced, I decided I wasnt going to worry about the BAD figures, because I'm not buying figures I dont want just for BAD parts - period.
User avatar
By YAK_Chewie
#126087
Yeah, and I also know that some people indicate that there aren't many repacks here, but really, this line is full of repacks (or figures that required very little effort from Hasbro).

Everything below is either a repack, or very slighly remade (like new paint). This is NOT how Hasbro should be handling Star Wars.

Shame on them. At least give the Phase 2 clones some good helmets for Christ sake!

R2-D2
Biker Scout
TIE Pilot
Clone Trooper (Sergeant)
Sandtrooper
Battle Droid (Red/Geonosis Deco)
Geonosian Warrior (Sun Fac)
Clone Trooper (212th Attack Battalion)
Captain Rex (realistic Clone Wars)
Luke Skywalker (Yavin Ceremony)
Darth Vader (Bespin Betrayal)
A-Wing Pilot
Biggs Darklighter
Clone Pilot (EII)
TC-70 (B.A.D.)
R8-B7 (B.A.D.)
R5-X2 (B.A.D.)

:wink:
#126091
Did Habro say they were caught out by the AOTC schedule, maybe they already knew?

I find it odd that they were concerned about a price hike to the point of scrapping the line, maybe Disney stood in and said that figures were too expensive already?
User avatar
By YAK_Chewie
#126093
Or maybe Disney has other reasons...

As for the 3D move, I'm sure that has to factor in somewhere, along with the fact they've got a lot of popular TVC just waiting to be bought by consumers.

And a Disney connection which I'm sure, if it's really there, will be revealed at Toy Fair.

On any note, launching a new line in the spring, withouth any sort of media backing, might not be a good move anway. They also have GI JOE hitting big around that time... lots of different strategies all come together in decisions like this (or fall apart, in Hasbro's world lately).

All I know is that if Hasbro announces a BIG ONE for this fall, something NEW AND COOL, all can be made right in my world.

:wink:
#126094
I wonder if this only affects basic figures, will things like the Big TESB Slave 1 be out when it was meant to be?
User avatar
By darthmac
#126095
Paulskywalker wrote:I wonder if this only affects basic figures, will things like the Big TESB Slave 1 be out when it was meant to be?


I wouldn't be surprised if ep5 slave 1 is held until the 3d release of empire.
#126096
darthmac wrote:
Paulskywalker wrote:I wonder if this only affects basic figures, will things like the Big TESB Slave 1 be out when it was meant to be?


I wouldn't be surprised if ep5 slave 1 is held until the 3d release of empire.


Better bloody not be, it's what i'VE been looking forward to the most for this year.
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
Faddera Rabar p62 / Index p1

As a member of Enfys Nest's Cloud-Riders, the Dypl[…]

It turns out that I have waaay too much junk! I co[…]

Retro would be an interesting idea, and would fina[…]

Rum Sleg never styled himself a lowly drug pusher,[…]

And yes! Maybe some of the Will Turner figures w[…]

Hi, I have a couple copies of John Tyler Christoph[…]

This isn't a good sign for those of us waiting on […]

Parts Swap/Parts For Sale

Oh, boy... desperately need the following if anyo[…]