Recent Finds/Acquisitions: The Black Series

Discuss of Hasbro new line in the 3-3/4" scale & 6" scale

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: Recent Finds/Acquisitions: The Black Series

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:29 am

Raylen wrote:
YAK_Chewie wrote:The Walmart by me restocked with the Ackbar/Lando wave again. Good Lord.

I've never seen that wave at all.... ANYWHERE

Need any?

:wink:
GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:58 am

YAK_Chewie wrote:Got back from being out of town for work, and came home yesterday to find Snoke at my doorstep. Love it. Looks great set up on a shelf with his throne.

Just seeing images of that figure has me stoke for the TVC release.
Passionate Star Wars fan/collector for all my life, Troop builder, teenager.

Other forum account:
https://disqus.com/by/GHuxy15/
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:04 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:
Raylen wrote:
YAK_Chewie wrote:The Walmart by me restocked with the Ackbar/Lando wave again. Good Lord.

I've never seen that wave at all.... ANYWHERE

Need any?

LMAO!!! I just realized you were talking 3.75" black series. Yes, seen plenty of those. I thought you were talking about the 6" Lando wave (which I have not seen anywhere). This is why it drives me nuts that they are using "Black series" to describe almost every freaking product they sell. Try talking to a store employee once who isn't in the know and say "black series" and they'll tell you all the stuff they have that you aren't looking for. Do an online store search and have to filter out everything you aren't looking for. I think I mentioned this to a Hasbro rep at Celebration. They didn't seem to think it was an issue. Seriously, besides the 5 poa line, what else is NOT called Black Series? Force of Destiny maybe? Role play helmets? Black Series. Centerpiece statues? Black series. Two different scales of figures? Black Series. It completely waters down the impact of the branding.
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?
StooperZero
Teras Kasi

Postby StooperZero » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:59 pm

thats why i bought lando and qui-gon off amazon months ago at retail price.

the whole steaming pile of garbage known as the 40th anniversary collection screwed up the rotation horribly.
there's things which should have been on shelves back in may but are back tracked almost to january now. Zero Logic.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Raylen wrote:
LMAO!!! I just realized you were talking 3.75" black series. Yes, seen plenty of those. I thought you were talking about the 6" Lando wave (which I have not seen anywhere). This is why it drives me nuts that they are using "Black series" to describe almost every freaking product they sell. Try talking to a store employee once who isn't in the know and say "black series" and they'll tell you all the stuff they have that you aren't looking for. Do an online store search and have to filter out everything you aren't looking for. I think I mentioned this to a Hasbro rep at Celebration. They didn't seem to think it was an issue. Seriously, besides the 5 poa line, what else is NOT called Black Series? Force of Destiny maybe? Role play helmets? Black Series. Centerpiece statues? Black series. Two different scales of figures? Black Series. It completely waters down the impact of the branding.

That is one major thing that they did stupid. If TBS is supposed to be this high-end cool sounding line, then why is everything under that line name? It should be exclusive to the really nice items and the really nice figures. As you mentioned they should have at least kept the 3.75 and 6 inch figures in different lines to avoid confusion. When looking for TBS Stormtroopers a few years ago nothing but the 6 inch ones came up in my online searches.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:41 am

Even Hasbro was confused by their own lines. At conventions, a fan site would ask about 3.75 TBS and their answer was about the 6" TBS line. Of course, it might not have been confusion at all but intentional.
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:54 am

Hasbro should thank Chewie for convincing me to buy a Force Spirit Obi-Wan. Was going to skip Force Ghost variants, but it looks so nice.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:30 am

He does look cool, right? I'm not wanting more spirit figures, but Kenobi was too hard for me to pass on.

Thanks for the Scarif troopers, btw.

Kooshmeister
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:49 am

Darth Vlad's Clone wrote:I curious to hear your impressions. Mitaka or no.

Having given them since you posted this, I'd like to hear whether you agree or disagree. :D
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:10 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Darth Vlad's Clone wrote:I curious to hear your impressions. Mitaka or no.

Having given them since you posted this, I'd like to hear whether you agree or disagree. :D

I have yet to see them so I can't honestly say. :lol:
StooperZero
Teras Kasi

Postby StooperZero » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 am

i actually found at-at drivers and snowtroopers in the wild today For $17 . Or course i picked up more.
These were supposed to be on the shelves December 12th - Of last year.

the case ratio walmart got was stupid, 1 poe, 1 new kylo , 4 snowtroopers and 2 at-at drivers. Hasbro logic at work.

Got one of the new 6" Poe's too, head is a wee bit too big .
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:23 am

I stopped by Walmart in Edwardsville after work yesterday, and they had about 20 new Vader 6 inch figures on the pegs. They also had two cases of 3.75 TBS on the riser. Someone had transplanted figures from the pegs into those cases, but left the hard to find figures in there.

Super freaking weird.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:33 pm

I stopped by a couple Walgreens to find Ghost Obi, but no luck. As of yesterday, their website used to have him and I could look up quantities. Of course, today when I'm out looking, they take it off. I wasn't in my usual area so I didn't know if they had them at these locations or not.
GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm going to stop by one of my Walmarts, really hoping to find that 3.75" TBS Praetorian Guard.
Passionate Star Wars fan/collector for all my life, Troop builder, teenager.

Other forum account:
https://disqus.com/by/GHuxy15/
Kooshmeister
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:08 pm

Darth Vlad's Clone wrote:I have yet to see them so I can't honestly say.:

It's only one page back. :lol:

Here:

Kooshmeister wrote:He just came today. I was excited to learn from various sources that despite appearing bald with the hat on, he's actually got a "Himmler haircut" on underneath it... and disappointed to learn when having him in hand that the hair is painted on (!) as opposed to sculpted. I would've preferred they leave the head completely hairless if all they're gonna is paint it on lazily like that. Overall, he's a decent figure, a good reuse of the disguised Finn body from the regular line.

It definitely isn't Mitaka; the face is a lot craggier than it appears in promotional shots, plus the fact Mitaka had more hair than this guy had. I still maintain that it more resembles another First Order officer, Datoo, but even he had more hair than this (and it was very light in contrast to this figure's darker hair). Overall, I'm unsure if he's intended to represent a specific character who'll appear in The Last Jedi or if he's a complete generic like the Death Squad Commander.

The uniform is a little grayer than I'd like, as opposed to completely black (looking at pics, it seems as though Finn suffers from this same issue). On the plus side, paint apps are good. The First Order emblem on his hat and the writing on his cuff title (more on this in a second) are applied cleanly and pretty detailed, given their very small size. His gloves and boots are very glossy and definitely seem like leather or rubber or whatever the First Order makes gloves and boots out of. His eyebrows look like shaggy caterpillars, but both they and the paint comprising his sorry excuse for hair are applied cleanly. It seems only his code cylinders are painted sloppily.

His gun is an SE-44C and is more or less the same blaster that comes with Hux, the disguised Finn and the First Order Stormtrooper, just with different colors. There's more silver than black in comparison to theirs. Then we have his hat. Like the rest of his uniform it's a mix of duller gray plastic, with some glossier paint applied for the visor. I'm pretty sure the entire hat is a completely new sculpt and not Finn's being reused; the proportions are a lot different. In particular, the visor is much shorter and hides his eyes a lot less.

And lastly, his cuff title. Apparently it's Aurebesh for "Dillon." Which isn't his name. Apparently, First Order officers denote rank by wearing the name of different Imperials on their uniform cuffs. Dillon is one such Imperial, and officers bearing his name hold the rank of captain. So while this guy has no name, we at least know his rank.

Overall, a pretty good figure.

Return to “The Black Series: (2013-?)”