Image Image Image Image Image

Raylen's Customs

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Re: Raylen's Customs

Postby Raylen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Here's my next two customs. Dr Aphra and BT-1. Probably the best new characters from the "new EU". So glad we are going to get an official release of Aphra but for now this will suffice. I started her awhile ago and recently made BT-1. You'd think the other droid 000 would be an easy repaint which is part of the reason I saved him for last.

custom Aphra and BT-1.JPG

For BT-1 I took the black R4 (not sure official name) and modded the face with and dremel. The red lens is an actual red LED. No, it can't light up. I thought about it and it wasn't worth the effort. The weapons were a combination of scratch built and kit bashed bits.

custom BT-1.JPG

I struggled for a long time on what would work best for Aphra. I knew there were only two good SW head options and those were Bultar Swan. I used the comic pack version as I liked the hair flow, better paints apps, and I could make use of the entire upper torso. The bottom originally had Han Solo legs but it made her too tall, so I used the waist down on a Juno Eclipse. Han did donate a holster. The jacket was all sculpted.

custom Aphra.JPG

For the cap, I used one from Tycho Celchu. It looked way too big since "thickness" doesn't scale perfectly. So I cut the cap at the lines and narrowed the center portion. I dremeled where needed on the hair to get a more snug fit. Glued on the goggles and cut a piece of styrene for the strap.

IMG_3397.JPG
IMG_3397.JPG (51.73 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?
Evilivo
Droid

Postby Evilivo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:19 am

Very well put customs, Dr. Aphra looks great, we'll see how Hasbro manages it next year :) The droid is flawless!
This hobby just gets curiouser and curiouser!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Those are totally outstanding Raylen. Lots of effort into these, and great results.

:wink:
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Just finished another custom. A super articulated Baze.

custom Baze 1.JPG

I've stayed away from the 5 POA as much as possible but I saw another customizer (Colin Hobbs) do a great custom Baze and so I picked up the two pack on clearance for $7 and went to town. I changed how I did mine from his a little but the two key elements are Cracken hips/legs and Bom Vimdin arms. Baze has a large torso and so I felt the easiest way to combine it all was to grind down Vimdin's torso and place it inside after splitting the Baze torso down its seam and hollowing it out. Now came a LOT of grinding and test fitting. I found that the Vimdin torso wasn't broad enough to get the shoulders further out so I split the torso and inserted styrene wedges. Fixed! The various bits of armor were cut down off the 5 POA parts and glued on the new legs and arms. The wrists were cut like bracelets and just pushed over the ground down arm ends

WIP Baze  torso1.JPG

WIP Baze torso2.JPG

WIP Baze wrists.JPG

Next came paint. The great thing about the donor legs and arms is they are all close to the same color! So if the paint job you do isn't perfect, the slight differences in shade just add to the weathered look. I still added some slight weathering to everything. The boots were one color I had to mix. I also painted extra detail on the gun.

custom Baze 3.JPG

Now I need Chirrut!
Evilivo
Droid

Postby Evilivo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 am

Looks great, good job and very inventive solutions to SA him :)
This hobby just gets curiouser and curiouser!
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Three more customs down to add. First is one I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm not really a Jar Jar fan but for some reason the behind the scenes costume where Ahmed Best is wearing a Jar Jar head as a hat always struck me as hilarious. The trick with this custom is finding the right Jar Jar. The "best" versions of Jar Jar (Vintage Collection and Movie Heroes) are the worst picks as they have the least human proportions. The older ones are better and I used the "Naboo Swamp" Jar Jar which seemed to have the best pose. The visor was cut from styrene.

custom Ahmed Jar Jar.JPG

binks-and-lloyd.jpg
binks-and-lloyd.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 209 times

ahmed jar jar.jpg
ahmed jar jar.jpg (41.83 KiB) Viewed 209 times

The next one isn't anything more than a head swap. I never cared for the sculpt on the comic pack Thrawn because of that weird Dracula head cut. I much preferred the POTF2 version. I was recently able to pick up a loose one for $5 so, hey, why not? This looks better IMO and the other head can go toward another custom.

custom Thrawn.JPG

Lastly is a figure no one will recognize. Why is that? Well, way back between Episode 1 and 2, A friend and I were working on a SW fan film we were calling Guardians of Peace. The story took place years before TPM. We filmed a number of scenes but never finished. It was quite ambitious and I was taking on far too much myself. I was writing, co-directing, acting, making all the props and costumes. We had location problems, casting problems, etc. While we never finished the film, in many ways it had a domino effect on my life that has lead me to where I am now. I actually had to learn to sew to make the costumes and the photo below features two of those. I've always wanted to find a way to get the story out somehow. Now that I'm into custom figures, maybe I'll do a photo novel someday. This is my first custom based on that film.

General Wissim is a war hero but is labelled a traitor when he realizes his nation made a deal with a devil and forms an alliance with the faction he previously fought against.

Wissim & Talbit.jpg
Wissim & Talbit.jpg (345.21 KiB) Viewed 209 times

custom Gen Wissim.JPG
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:42 pm

Next I have Agent Kallus. This was a fun one. I used the body from the Imp Navy Commander. The armor was sculpted on along with the extra "ridge" he has on the gloves and boots. I was originally going to make a removable helmet but wasn't sure I could get it nice enough and the animated 5 POA head looks just fine. While removable helmet would be ideal, I feel his armor is part of what gives him a unique look. Good enough. I added some paint to the weapon too. I may have to mod the hand grip as these hands can hardly hold it.

custom Agent Kallus figure 2.jpg

custom Agent Kallus figure 3.jpg

custom Agent Kallus figure 1.jpg
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Great job on your Kallus. I made a similar one, but less sophisticated.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Oh! And the fan film stuff looks great, fun background info too! Cool that's how you got into your walk in life.

Return to “Creations”