Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Been in a bit of slump regarding Star Wars customs lately... nothing comes together right. Was going through the parts bin for a Dark Forces era Kyle Katarn for the Video Games yakfinities, and decided borrowing someone else's character (again!) would be a good customizing exercise...

So here's an even older take on Chewie's Rykrof character, in anticipation of the upcoming final chapter in the current Rykrof storyline.

"Renegade" Rykrof was displayed last summer as the team oversight of my Rebel Renegades crew, and is supposed to be Rykrof around ten years or so after Order 66. "Old Man" Enloe here is Rykrof after another 10+ years, older, a little heavier, but still fighting the good fight.

Crix Madine - Head, Torso, Arms, Waist
Henry Jones Sr - Legs
Yavin Celebration Luke - Neck
Hoth Soldier (dowel rod pegs) - Gloves

I dremeled and rest the elbows further into the upper arm because they were ridiculously bulbous on the original figure. Carved and sanded the hairline on the original head, cut in age lines, and did some dry brushing and washes to try to make him look aged. Of course, I have no idea what Chewie has in store for Rykrof... no refunds if he happily joins the Empire or goes pirate. ;)

Really pleased with him as a quick custom to try to get out of a slump!

Can't wait for the next chapter Chewie!
That's really cool, ha! I always really enjoyed the first version that you made of him well into the era of the Empire - and this even older version is well done too! Looks like he has really been in quite a few battles! Poor guy, at least he still has a full head of hair and appears as though he would still look like a guy one would think twice about messing with.

I'm not sure that Rykrof will be that old around ROTJ, as I envision at that time he's around 55 or so - my thinking is that at TPM, he was in his early 20s, which makes him around 35 at the time of ROTS. However, look how much Obi Wan ages between ROTS and ANH - I think a lot of that had to do with Tatooine climate though. Owen and Beru don't exactly fare that well either! I love the older version though a lot, and if I ever get to that time line in a photonovel and he's still kicking, I'm going to use that for reference for sure.

Also, for reference here is Rykrof's father, Josser Enloe, in Chapter 24 of the series.

I envision he might end up looking kind of like that later in life, but I'm not sure yet. There's the chance that he could die earlier than that, and possibly his son would be the focus if I keep up on the photonovel front.

Anyways, again love the figure and I think it's very cool to see someone make a figure of Rykrof. There was a group project several years back at http://www.jedidefender.com with Rykrof as the theme. I've tossed around the idea of seeing if anyone around here would be interested in a project like that or not - but I'm not sure what the interest level would be. Darth Phantom also made a version too recently, which I thought was awesome and very creative. Here's his version:

I though it was neat that he used a Han Solo head - I don't think I ever would have thought that would work, but it works great.

:wink:
Yeah, I knew the math would be a bit off for him to be ROTJ specific, so it's really more of what he might look like if he makes it through the entire rise and fall of the empire. :)

Glad you like you him, I can get really caught up in the "character building" of a custom, and worry over minor details, so it's nice to borrow Rykrof to just play with the design.

I was pretty happy with the likeness on the Crix Madine head after I cut back the hair a bit, but Darth Phantom's use of the Han head is great!
DotD,

I really am a fan of your work and I think that both of your Rykrofs are fantastic.
The Renegade Rykrof is a masterpiece. Really like the changes you made to the head.
That is a figure that I am trying to do for my collection, too, if that is okay with you.

The "old man" Rykrof is also made of well-thought-out parts. I cannot see it clearly in the pics
but it appears to me that Rykrof is partially blind at that time?!

Personally, I do agree with Chewie, during ROTJ I think he could look more like the Renegade Rykrof,
maybe with some more grey hairs or perhaps less hair. Anyway, damn good work. Keep it up!
Love me some Rykrofs :wink:
Darth Phantom wrote:DotD,

I really am a fan of your work and I think that both of your Rykrofs are fantastic.
The Renegade Rykrof is a masterpiece. Really like the changes you made to the head.
That is a figure that I am trying to do for my collection, too, if that is okay with you.

The "old man" Rykrof is also made of well-thought-out parts. I cannot see it clearly in the pics
but it appears to me that Rykrof is partially blind at that time?!

Personally, I do agree with Chewie, during ROTJ I think he could look more like the Renegade Rykrof,
maybe with some more grey hairs or perhaps less hair. Anyway, damn good work. Keep it up!
Love me some Rykrofs :wink:

Thanks DP! By all means, can't wait to see what you come up with for your version of Renegade Rykrof! I'd be a bit of an ass if I was upset with someone using some of my ideas from a character I borrowed myself! ;)

Yup, that left eye is dead. I initially thought about making him heavily cybernetic, but I decided to save that if I ever decided to do a Dark Side Rykrof.

People do seem to age funny in Star Wars, Chewie made a good point about how much Ben ages between ep 3 and 4. This version of Rykrof evidently have a rough few years between ANH and the post-ROTJ era.

I might try to use a Han head like you did to make an inbetween of the Renegade and Old Man heads to go on the new body.
I really like your work, Dan and I think you great job on both of those Rykrofs! I always loved the outfit you chose for Renegade Rykrof, you nailed the Rebel Leader look and, despite the issues regarding Old Man Rykrofs ageing, he looks fantastic! Very grizzled! :wink:

Also, I look forward to seeing your version of Kyle for Yakfinites, too!

Some rough spots on the paint, but I'm trying to get out of a customizing slump and finish up some projects that have been sitting around half finished.

No name for her yet, but her look is very much anime / Mass Effect / 5th Element inspired. Personality wise I see her as an assassin, kind of based on Pris from Blade Runner.

Just wanted to play with the sleek black/white look a lot of Mass Effect designs have, and though the bare feet might not be practical I think they add an air of agility to the look.
Awesome fig, Dan, I can definately see the Fifth Element/Anime/Mass Effect inspirations! She looks a little like the Major in GITS: SAC! Really like her!
Utinniii's Unique Universe Vol 2

Trying to fall asleep but had to comment first, th[…]

Utinniii - that's a prodigious output of customs -[…]

and more ross

TVC Desert Skiff

I would have never even thought about that! Actu[…]

Thanks! I'm a little behind on schedule right no[…]

PS, every time I look at your thread I have to c[…]

Custom Tree Huts Star Wars !!!!

Bumped because someone asked me about these today.[…]

Luke 3-Pack

Great thread, some brilliant pictures, well done I[…]