Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Dan, I've looked at these customs several times now just admiring them, now it's time for some feedback!

Each of these is so well done, they really look professional. I don't know how you do it... but you really match up your paint schemes to make them look like they are factory produced.

Now, while I still love your Star Wars customs the most, these other ones are simply fantastic. You really capture the feel and style of the Joe figures already being produced with your Joe customs especially... and the Destro/Cobra Commander repaints are killer.

Aeon Flux is also really cool, I imagine that was a pain to make. The only flaw I see there is something that is probably out of your control, which is the shaping of the plastic on her thighs. I wonder what parts you used on that figure?

Also Mr. Glass! Damn that's cool... I love Samuel L Jackson's character in Unbreakable... wow. You really nailed this one! Can't wait to see the Bruce Willis!

I've been playing Left for Dead 2 a bit lately when I get time, which is about once every two weeks... love the game, kinda suck at it though. Heh. Love your characters though and the self custom is outstanding... ha ha! It's awesome. Give him a chainsaw! I think I have one from the Leatherface figure if I can find it, it's yours.

Miles Mayhem is brilliant too - since Hasbro made Matt Tracker, they should have made this too!

:wink:
YAK_Chewie wrote:Dan, I've looked at these customs several times now just admiring them, now it's time for some feedback!

Each of these is so well done, they really look professional. I don't know how you do it... but you really match up your paint schemes to make them look like they are factory produced.

Now, while I still love your Star Wars customs the most, these other ones are simply fantastic. You really capture the feel and style of the Joe figures already being produced with your Joe customs especially... and the Destro/Cobra Commander repaints are killer.

Aeon Flux is also really cool, I imagine that was a pain to make. The only flaw I see there is something that is probably out of your control, which is the shaping of the plastic on her thighs. I wonder what parts you used on that figure?

Also Mr. Glass! Damn that's cool... I love Samuel L Jackson's character in Unbreakable... wow. You really nailed this one! Can't wait to see the Bruce Willis!

I've been playing Left for Dead 2 a bit lately when I get time, which is about once every two weeks... love the game, kinda suck at it though. Heh. Love your characters though and the self custom is outstanding... ha ha! It's awesome. Give him a chainsaw! I think I have one from the Leatherface figure if I can find it, it's yours.

Miles Mayhem is brilliant too - since Hasbro made Matt Tracker, they should have made this too!

Thanks for the great feedback, always appreciated!

Aeon is mostly the RoC Baroness with Agent Helix head... I noticed after painting her thighs there's a bit of wrinkle detailed in which isn't really noticeable in the original color scheme. At the angle of the photograph, those wrinkles are pretty obvious and unsightly though... it'd be a simple enough fix with sandpaper if I ever go back.

Got some parts in for the Bruce Willis character, the BBI figure with his likeness is DEAD ON, so I'm having fun with it.

Oh, I've got plenty of chainsaws... gonna save it for another survivor. A friend got me a machete for my birthday a few years ago "just in case" for a zombie outbreak, so I went with that as my melee weapon of choice. They're a lot of fun to make, working on some zombies for the survivors to face off against.
Updated my Simon Pegg figure with skinnier forearms, his shotguns harnessed to his vest (sword harness from the back of a Prince of Persia figure worked perfect for this) and gave him his FAL.

And some quickie Star Wars figures, just to stay in the habit of making stuff. :)

It's the kidnappers from The Princess Bride as Star Wars aliens...

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a Spice war with Hutts" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Dressellian when death is on the line"!"

(Based on Vizzini, the Sicilian)

"I admit it, you are better than I am."
"Then why are you smiling?"
"Because I know something you don't know."
"And what is that?"
"I... have a lightsaber!"

(based on Inigo, the fencer)

"Look what I found! Four taun-tauns, and I thought there are four of us if we ever find the Jedi... Hello Jedi!"

(based on Fezzik, the strongman)
Awesome stuff Dan,

the Simon Pegg figure from Hot Fuzz is totally cool. He looks exactly like Nicholas Angel. Great work, but heh: where is his partner?

The three aliens are badass, too. Love all of them but the Duros is outstanding. Just a shame that the Prince of Persia toyline never hit the stores at my place because it seems that those figures work perfectly for customizing purposes.

Really love that update. Very nice, Dan!
Awesome stuff!!! Your Hot Fuzz Nicholas Angel looks spot on. I'm a big fan of Princess Bride also and you did a great job on reimagining it with a twist. Maybe that could be a Yakfinities subject- movies reimagined through the Star Wars universe?!
Great figures Dan, I really love your Simon Pegg figure, looks like he stepped straight out of the screen! :wink:

I love the concept of turnig the Princess Bride kidnappers into SW aliens, and they look awesome! I haven't watched Princess Bride for years! I'll have to dig out my old VHS copy, dust it down and give it a watch! :D
The Princess Bride is one of my all time favorite movies... these are just brilliant!

Zini Vi - Great idea, really has a good resemblence to his actual counterpart, great choice of an alien being bald... also love the sleeveless arms, and the paint scheme is awesome. "Never go against a Dressellian when death is on the line"!" That's too damn funny... I could see that alien saying that with the same voice as the guy from the movie... and then falling over dead... ha ha!!

N'Digo - Another great body choice, really reminds me of the Spaniard - ha! Great painting as well, love the dark blue skin.

Fez Xik - Great work here; my *only* compaint would be the head skin is more smooth than the texture of rest of his body... but, it still looks great. I am only being picky because your work is so amazing, that a small detail like that is something I see. However, awesome paint job and this custom is still very solid and brings a smile to my face.

Do you have any more of these planned? Would love to see "The Man in Black" as well as the Princess... maybe even Prince Humperdink and the 6-fingered man... hee hee.

I'll have to brainstorm on future characters... but if I think of anything I'd love to do some more.

Totally agree on the texture difference between the head and body on Fez Xik. I guess I could have sanded the body, but there were really just quickies to stay in the habit of working. It's a legitimate critique though. Looks close enough for me though.

I did have some thoughts about doing the Dead Pirate Roberts / Man In Black as a guy posing as a Sith to rescue a Jedi.

And I thought the feral droids could work as D.O.U.P.'s... Droids of Unusual Programming.

Fun to think about!
AWESOME SET OF CUSTOMS DUDE!!!

Honest to god that scottie head from star trek is awesome i Made a SHAUN of the dead ALONG TIME AGO i have 3 scotties laying around i might just make my own NICHOLAS lol!!

THE PRINCESS BRIDE SET AWESOME!!

THE ANDRE THE GIANT INSPIRED DUDE REALLY SUITS WELL with the combo of parts, the head could use a little re-sculpting to match the body but bottom line is still a gr8 figure.

the duros swordsman, great use of the PRINCE OF PERSIA figure, he definetly looks menacing.

THE DRESSELIAN DEFINETLY A GREAT FIGURE LIKE THE COLORS AND PARTS LOOK FLUSH!

Hope to see more man!!
Guys, as always your enthusiasm is nothing short of inspiring. Thank you for all the kind words.

I thought those guys were fun, but I didn't really know if anyone would "get" the idea... I'm thrilled they seem to popular.

Continuing the Mash-Up concept, here's Lord J'wrath:

"It's a box. Nothing more. But if you turn it this way and look into it, it will show you the Force."

Based on Jareth, The Goblin King, from Labyrinth
Still have yet to see TPB, but your twist on the characters is terrific, Dan.

Labyrinth is a favourite movie of mine. I also used to play the soundtrack over and over again. Great take on making Jareth part of the GFFA. You know, you should try and paint that lighting effect on his armour. Make it look metallic, you know :)

And is it me, or does he look cross eyed :P ? Speaking of eyes, did you paint them in different colours, like David Bowie's eyes?

And last: where'd the holocron come from?

Think you did a good job personalizing yourself in[…]

My Custom Star Wars Figures/Vehicles

Excellent!!!! RC was one of my favorite games as […]

Great use of the Kit Fisto head! Very reminiscent[…]

I swear, your skill in soft goods and sculpting ar[…]

Parts Swap/Parts For Sale

Any Republic Commando backpacks available in here?[…]

Community fodder box...

It looks like we need the bigger box since most of[…]

So cool. I really like the dark side yoda!

TLJ Purchases and Finds

I was able to find one at Ross here in AZ, I agre[…]