Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By DanOfTheDead
ImageImage

I've been wanting to this guy for a long time, pretty much since after I posted my Mass Effect inspired Nautolan a few years back. I wanted to follow it up with a Krogan inspired Besalisk but it wasn't until the Iron Man 2 figures came out that I had the appropriate fodder for the body... and even then it took me a while to figure out how to piece it all together. Heavy mods to accommodate the extra arms, parts were swapped, turned upside down, backwards, whatever. Not perfect, but he looks good enough to call done.
Really nice figure, Dan, the Iron Man parts look awesome! He's a little trimmer than old Dexter, I see! :wink:
By Incom
I can dig the lean look of this Besalisk, despite it not being very true to the species' nature. Excellent work on adding that extra set of arms, Dan. Looks perfect enough to me! And the paint apps are stunning as always. Very original character and excellent execution!

I'll get back to working on your wings now, buddy!
That's outstanding... is he completely fan fiction? Would make for a great character in EU somewhere.

Really, what a great looking figure - I've wanted to make a custom of this species for a while, but never got on the ball... you did and ran with it. I love this custom, the concept is fantastic and the painting is amazing.

:wink:
LOVE IT!!!! I have a couple of these guys and have been wondering what way to go with them. You have inspired me
By tmoaswg
really like the besalisk general. always wanted to see them in other jobs than restaurant owner. anyway, very cool custom. you've inspired me to make a something similar
Great customs. As I look through your pages I am extremely impressed with your paintwork. Can you tell me your secret for painting the arm, elbow, and knee joints? They look very well done. If you don't mind, when you reply, if you happen to refer to paint or materials please include product name, where you purchased, and throw in a helpful tip or two if you don't mind. I would like to get better at this, but I don't know if I have the skills.

Thanks!
Mungo Baobab wrote:Great customs. As I look through your pages I am extremely impressed with your paintwork. Can you tell me your secret for painting the arm, elbow, and knee joints? They look very well done. If you don't mind, when you reply, if you happen to refer to paint or materials please include product name, where you purchased, and throw in a helpful tip or two if you don't mind. I would like to get better at this, but I don't know if I have the skills.

Thanks!

Thanks for compliments, I really appreciate it.

I wish I knew the secret for painting joints, but I'm afraid my figures suffer from horrible rubbing and scraping around those parts. I just pose them how I figure I'll probably display them and paint the joints in that position.

While I do think my painting has gotten a lot better of the past year, I think a lot of it is actually in the photography. Can't stress enough how much good lighting does for a custom figure.

As far as brands, I use Citadel paints primarily these days. They're sold at gaming stores that carry GamesWorkshop products. I've also used cheap craft store (Hobby Lobby and Michaels) acrylic paint mixed with Testor's Model Masters semi-gloss and gloss.

The joecustoms.com customizing guide here has a lot of great information as well.

I don't currently use a finish or clearcoat on my figures... I'm so annoyed I can't find a good fix for the joint paint that I don't bother...

Again, not to down play my painting skills TOO much, but I'm better at photographing the customs than painting them. My paint skills are probably average and I tend to be impatient and rush things... but with some good lighting and the right settings on your camera, you can make up for a lot of them. Even though I'm a graphic designer by trade, I don't let myself retouch the paintwork, though I do heavily adjust lighting color.

Hope some of this was helpful! And let me know if YOU find a good solution for painting those joints! :D
Painting joints is a challenge I think for most of us.

Over the years I've found that it's a lot easier to take some short cuts here if you can... mostly being if you don't have to paint the joint, don't.

However that's not always going to work. So one thing you can do, is if you are willing to, is reduce the articulation on some joints a bit. What I mean here is for ball joints, you can glue the joint to where there is still standard swivel articulation, just not full ball joint capability. Then once it dries, you can paint like crazy and not have to worry about this problem... you still have some articulation, just not as much as you'd like.

There's also the shaving technique, which if you have the patience, you can shave the plastic down around the joints to prevent rubbing. It's time consuming sometimes,but usually pays off. Then you can paint and not worry too much about joints rubbing to the point where paint will chip.

Finally, there's the glue technique - this works best for joints that barely rub. What you do is add a touch of liquid super glue to areas you are going to paint, but you have to make sure it doesn't restrict the joint. Just let it dry, then paint over it. After that, apply a bit more glue over your paint. Finally, paint over that - you have a double layer or paint and glue.

Painting in very thin layers is also key. I tend to paint in 2-4 layers on most customs, including sometimes a layer being about 25% water. It really adds strength to the paint in my experience, and I do this with the cheaper paints like Delta Ceramcoat and Apple Barrel... I also do use Testors acrylics some these days too but those I rarely water down.

Hope that helps a bit.

:wink:
Hey DOTD,

your Besalisk Separatist General is awesome...simply awesome. I love the look of that figure so much and I have absolutely no idea how you managed to get this guy into shape. Fantastic work, DOTD.
Rebels Series - Recent Finds

No place for Resistance figures I could find so I […]

Fun stuff, everyone! Here are my first entries. […]

Seeing your Glocos Nibbles makes me both happy an[…]

Utinniii's Unique Creations Vol 2

You my friend are a customizing machine. I don't […]

Wow, seeing your Shadow Guard is very inspiring. […]

I can always a fan of your customs. These droids […]

Chuckles' Custom Figures

Oh man, that R5 tank droid thing is awesome! So c[…]

ImperialOfficer's customs

I hit customizing funks all the time, the older I […]