Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By Darth Phantom
tmoaswg wrote:oh, now that you showed the reference picture, it makes it look even cooler. cant wait to see the face tattoos.

Thanks tmoaswg. I am still working on the tattoos but I will probably send some new pics on Friday with some other figures included.

jedistyle wrote:great work stefan, where to begin......

jedi luke update - very cool, im a complete sucker for a custom luke that mixes traditional jedi garments with luke black gear. i don't know if you own a dremel but the head seems to sit a tad hi and if you are able to dremel it down a bit i think they haed would sit much better. great parts choice here as well, this is the second recent jedi luke that i have seen use the seasee tinn legs and they really fit the charecter well.

Hey Erik, Nice to hear from you and many thanks for your detailed feedback. I appreciate that much. You are absolutely right with the head. I should have used a dremel to make it look more appropriate. But right now, I am thinking about changing this custom figure into a Joruus C'Baoth. Will see what will finally be the outcome :)

jedistyle wrote:mace gravers - again another style of cutsom i love, the O66 survivor. :D another great mix of parts, i really like all the armor and painted trim. did you do a repaint on the face? this figure really reminds me exar kun, well done.

This guy was made of parts that were deeply "buried" into my fodder lot. The head indeed was repainted. Dash Rendar first got a "shave", then I changed the skin colour (but will probably do again, because is still looks a bit dopey.

jedistyle wrote:underworld boss - looks good. you seem to have picked up the dry brush no problem and that senator body really does make for a great crome boss look. the head seem to be sitting a bit akwardly, but thats nothing a little dremel and perhaps some chin trimming wouldn't remedy, very nice figure.

Thanks again for your ideas. Before I dared drybrushing the Vong Warrior, I used this guy as my "test subject". I think that for the first time, the drybrushing effect looks good. For the head, I will try to sculpt a scarf or something similar around his neck to make him look even better.

jedistyle wrote:vong - now that is outstanding, very well done....from the looks of this you could have taken care of that krayt no prob! 8) you did a nice neat job of brushing and the amount of underlying black is perfect....great work!

Many thanks for those kind words but you are so much better in doing paint jobs than I am so I am really looking forward seeing Darth Krayt (and Cassus Fett of course). Supposely, I had some luck while drybrushing that guy.

Many thanks, tmoaswg and Jedistyle!
By Darth Phantom
Hi to all of you.

In the last days, I had to think about some good parts to use for some new custom figures. And I found them.
But before I reveal my completely new custom figures, first have a look on two re-painted ones:

(1) Darth Krayt

I got this figure by fellow customizer and friend Jackoftradze:

Darth Krayt (Jackoftradze)

As you can see, he gave the comic pack figure a blackwash, nicely added all the facial tattoos and - not to see in the shots - he also added some more spikes on his back.

I am quite happy with the figure but thought I could add a different paint job to give the character his comic book look:

Darth Krayt repainted (Darth Phantom)

Recipe:
Whole figure: TLC Comic pack "Darth Krayt"
- First I fully painted the figure in a dark blue-grey colour
- After that, I applied layers of light blue-grey (drybrushing)

(2) Vong Warrior

I promised to add the facial tattoos to the Yuzzhan Vong Warrior from the comic pack but for me, it was easier said than done.
Tried to find the right colour to use (first tried brown, then red, then purple, but finally decided for blue) and also added a blackwash.

Vong Warrior with facial tattoos

(3) Galen Marek Jedi outfit
For the Light Side/Dark Side YAKfinities, I made a first version of the light side Secret Apprentice as seen in the TFU video game.

Galen Marek Jedi (OLD VERSION)

However, when I saw this pic

I used it as reference for a 2nd version of Galen Marek (Light Side).
Here is what I was able to do:

Galen Marek Jedi (NEW VERSION)

Recipe:
Hood: TPM "Adi Gallia"
Head: Evolutions "Secret Apprentice" (Jedi)
Upper arms, belt: TAC "Han Solo"
Lower arms: TLC "Emperor Palpatine"
Hands: ROTS "Clone Trooper"
Torso, skirt: from a "Pirates of the Caribbean" figure
Upper legs: Evolutions "Darth Nihilus"
Lower legs: TLC Comic pack "Luke Skywalker"
Straps on upper legs: TLC "B-Wing Pilot"
Belt on torso: from TFU "Rahm Kota" (I guess)

(4) Exar Kun
Being a fan of the TOTJ, I was looking forward to the new comic pack including Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma.
However, I do not like both of those Hasbro figures that much:

Hasbro Comic pack "Exar Kun + Ulic Qel-Droma"

Again, I used a good reference pic

and a GI Joe figure, to make this guy:

Exar Kun Ultimate

Recipe:
Head: TLC Comic pack "Darth Krayt
Arms, legs, torso, skirt, shoulder pads: GI Joe R.O.C. "James McCullen IX"
Neck armour: ROTS "Mas Amedda"
Cape: POTJ "Darth Vader" (Emperor's Wrath)
Symbol and chain: fodder part

Please let me know what you think! Thanks guys.
Last edited by Darth Phantom on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sith'ari
That custom Exar kun looks simply through the roof.
Much better that Hasbro did lol.
The Darth Krayt head looks like a completely different character with black hair and no tattoos.
Very well done :wink:
By stocos28
WOW! Great job all around. But really great job on the Krayt repaint and the Exar Kun. Compare this to your earlier work and you wouldn't know it's the same person. OUTSTANDING!!! You really captured Krayts comic coloring superbly!
By stroebel83
great job on Exar kun just picked up the Hasbro one today and it totally lacks what yours has
By Darth Phantom
Sith'ari wrote:That custom Exar kun looks simply through the roof. Much better that Hasbro did lol.The Darth Krayt head looks like a completely different character with black hair and no tattoos.
Very well done :wink:

stroebel83 wrote:great job on Exar kun just picked up the Hasbro one today and it totally lacks what yours has

Hey Sith'ari and stroebel83. Many thanks for your great feedback on Exar Kun. I am happy to know I am not alone of the opinion that Hasbro could have spent more time in making a more appropriate, more detailed and better painted version of the comic pack Exar Kun. Same is for Hasbro's Ulic Qel Droma. Still a good figure for getting some pieces for other customs but it does not resemble the comic book character that much in my opinion.
Choosing Darth Krayt's head for my custom Exar Kun was - more or less - simply out of desperation because I did not have another head with ponytail available. But I did not expect the head to look so good after the hair was painted black and all tattoos removed.

mercuryartstudios wrote:great job on exar kun damn if i wouldve thought of that DESTRO way back i would've used for like 3 or 5 figs which i may do still.

Hi mercuryartstudios and glad you like Exar. Apart from the recent GI Joe movie, I have not seen any GI Joe figures at my place any time before (or after). I wanted to learn more about the toyline and used google to learn more. That was where I stumbled upon the R.O.C. Exclusive figure "James McCullen IX". When I found it on ebay the other day for decent money, I thought that this could be used to make the ultimate Exar Kun...and I guess I was right :wink:
In case I get some more of those figures, I will probably use parts of them for some KOTOR Mandos and the like.

stocos28 wrote:WOW! Great job all around. But really great job on the Krayt repaint and the Exar Kun. Compare this to your earlier work and you wouldn't know it's the same person. OUTSTANDING!!! You really captured Krayts comic coloring superbly!

Stocos28, many thanks for your compliments. I appreciate it much. Absolutely right: my earlier work is crap compared to what I am able to do now; but there is still a lot more I want to learn and improve. Also glad that you like the look of Darth Krayt although I only had a minor part in the making of the figure. The most and best work was done by jackoftradze.

To mercuryartstudios and stocos28:
I am still thinking about some great ways to make the first steps into (professional) sculpting. In case you can share some hints for someone getting started on that topic, I would be glad.

Many thanks to all of you for some really great feedback.
Best wishes
Stefan
By mercuryartstudios
Stefan,

I will be more than glad to help you out, my best advice start with the following sculpting materials.

Aves apoxie - cures in 4-8 hrs great for big scale projects that need time to cure.

Aves fixit - LOVES THIS STUFF works fast for those quicky jobs

Green stuff kneadite - amazing stuff cures in minutes for those REALLY FAST & EASY JOBS

CLAY SHAPERS SIZE # 0 These are hard to come by a decent set will run you about 30-100dls

Various tools like - precision screwdrivers, exacto knives DREMEL ROTARY TOOL there are many to choose from, i have about 4
different ones all designated for a specific job (hate switching bits kind lazy)

Measuring spoons, for your aves stuff.

CREATIVITY.

Dude you get all those tools and start on small projects you will rock BELIEVE ME!!!
By Darth Phantom
Hi Mike and thanks for your hints on sculpting.

I got a dremel at home but used it for hollowing helmets or making heads more adjustable to different necks so far.
I also have a really good (and very sharp) exacto knife which I use almost everytime I am working on a custom.

Aves Fixit:
Heard about that sculpting material quite often. Some people say it is the best to work with (but I think it is also quite expensive).

Green Stuff:
That is the one I am working with (just minor projects so far, not worth mentioning).
I know that I have to use water when working with it because otherwise, you won't get smooth surfaces and the like and Green Stuff
would stick to the knife or any kind of tool you work with rather than stick to the figure.

Guess, I will see what I can come up with Green Stuff. Really want to make a much better version of Darth Malak, for example by sculpting the missing parts of his mechanical jaw.

Thanks a lot for your hints, Mike. They are much appreciated.
By YAK_Chewie
Hey Darth Phantom, these all look great - love the tatoos on the Vong, and your take on Exar Kun looks really, really cool. The Joe figure's armor is really fun stuff, isn't it?

The only suggestion I could think of is it looks like you did a black wash over gray painted armor. Perhaps try a techinque of using a white dry brush at this point to add more depth, then another black wash if needed. I find that sometimes using this method 2-3 times on figures can really add in more details, and sometimes at the end I'll take a sharp contrast color and lightly trace around a few edges too.

Also that armor on him - I used it too, just didn't paint it. Here's a figure I used it for:

Great work as always, it's always very enjoyable seeing your work.

:wink:
By stocos28
Darth Phantom,
Your right the Aves fixit is a bit expensive but if later on down the line you can save for it I would recommend adding it to your arsenal. Don't get me wrong I love me some green stuff. You've seen what I've been able to acheive with it but the fixit will add a new demension to your sculpting. I've yet to try this but I recently read that some people use a lubricant like oil or vaseline when sculpting with the greenstuff. I'm going to try it next time I sculpt with the greenstuff. One dremel should do the trick and I've been using it to sand down g.i.joe bodies so I can sculpt over them. Also a good pair of needle nose pliers, I can't tell you how often I've used them. I also employ the use of a small battery powered screw gun from black & decker for drilling heads and arm sockets and the like but you can acheive the same results from a dremel I just preferr a set of drill bits so that I easily can match up the peg that I'm making a hole for. I also recently picked up a set of sculpting tools for like $7.00 from ebay. I would recommend that to you.
By mercuryartstudios
Darth Phantom wrote:Hi Mike and thanks for your hints on sculpting.

I got a dremel at home but used it for hollowing helmets or making heads more adjustable to different necks so far.
I also have a really good (and very sharp) exacto knife which I use almost everytime I am working on a custom.

Aves Fixit:
Heard about that sculpting material quite often. Some people say it is the best to work with (but I think it is also quite expensive).

Green Stuff:
That is the one I am working with (just minor projects so far, not worth mentioning).
I know that I have to use water when working with it because otherwise, you won't get smooth surfaces and the like and Green Stuff
would stick to the knife or any kind of tool you work with rather than stick to the figure.

Guess, I will see what I can come up with Green Stuff. Really want to make a much better version of Darth Malak, for example by sculpting the missing parts of his mechanical jaw.

Thanks a lot for your hints, Mike. They are much appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey buddy,

Well if u really think about the cost between greenstuff and aves fixit it runs about the same, however if u buy in bigger quantities it works out better, i buy 3 lbs of aves fix it for like 40dls from aves studios, when using ur tools on greenstuff use a bit of neosporin or vaseline (neosporin is good to have around, for cuts scrapes or minor stab wounds, but if it helps grease a joint on a toy it paid off) i do that from time to time, water works very well to smooth and make things look flush, i sculpt big sections with my fingers dude, once i achieve the shape i want i start tooling the rest.

i would also recommend some pliers of some sort,theres a variety i have a good amount of tools dude, u will be amazed what a screwdriver can do, if u have a good quality dremmel u can buy excellent attachments which come with drill bits, i normally use those for legs, elbows or hands.

i am going to email u a couple of dealers and a list of materials i use sometime tomorrow, just so u know what to work with.

No worries buddy keep in touch and dont be afraid to ask me any questions at all.

Mike
By Darth Phantom
Hi to all of you.

Sorry for replying very late but I had a very busy week.

Today, I finally found acrylic sealer from Citadel.
Will try the stuff to make the paint applied to all my custom figures durable.

YAK_Chewie wrote:your take on Exar Kun looks really, really cool. The Joe figure's armor is really fun stuff, isn't it?
The only suggestion I could think of is it looks like you did a black wash over gray painted armor. Perhaps try a techinque of using a white dry brush at this point to add more depth, then another black wash if needed.

Thanks Chewie. You're right: I only did a blackwash and would have never thought about adding a white drybrush to the armour.
Well, guess I will try then because I love seeing the details on my figures. Thanks for the idea.

mercuryartstudios and stocos28: Many thanks for your further ideas concerning sculpting. I will look out to find some Aves Fixit for good money but until I am able to get some, I will practice more with Greenstuff. Right now, I am working on an updated TAC "Darth Malak"; will send pics soon. I also use needle nose pliers, mainly for taking off arms and legs of the figure(s) I want to customize.
Concerning sculpting tools, is that the right stuff to look out for?

Many thanks again and best wishes
Stefan
By Darth Creatine
mercuryartstudios wrote:those sculpting tools are good, however they are better for bigger scale stuff.

FIND CLAY SHAPERS SIZE #0 believe me you will know what im talking about they are about the same but alot smaller and more precise.

Thats what I use also is size #0. I have both and the ones pictured above are GREAT for Marvel and 6" bossy and such but I even use the tiny's on the heads and hands or bigger stuff. I prefer Size #0 if I couod only have one.

Darth Phantom,

Nice work on Exar. Krayt rocks also and TFU Jedi. Nice work and you are rocking em out. Can't wait to see Malak though.

Great job, I will be watching for Malak.

Darth C
PLNK series power droid p61 / Index p1

Known for their distinctive vocalisations, PLNK s[…]

Yakfinities #72 - Desert Dwellers

From his base on the desert moon of Jedha, Woan B[…]

Star Wars Celebration 2019 Chicago

Okay, I'm still looking for the 6th puzzle patch p[…]

Did you try scanning one to see if it would even […]

Dorky Dad's Haves / Wants

Haves Rogue One Tie Striker TLJ Crayt Speeder W[…]

Martin S. TheDorkiestDad

I have three of these now, and I’m honestly not en[…]