Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By ScorpioAttack
This is absolutely superb! Detailing is fantastic, and it blends with the established sandcrawler design perfectly. I love all the build-a-droid parts scattered around as well. Definitely one of the best ideas Hasbro ever had, when put to use like this!! Great stuff.
By darthmadonna
I love the features added in. I would really love it if Hasbro could make a regular sandcrawler and pack in those kinds of fun features it sort of incorporates the old Jawa droid factory playset with the vehicle. Very inspiring.
By Jedimaster-c
The vehicle he used to make this is from GI Joe called the Mobile Command Center that came out in 1987 and was rereleased back in 2003.This thing is amazing.I wish I had talent like this.can we see the inside of the cab?
By TK1945
ScorpioAttack wrote:This is absolutely superb! Detailing is fantastic, and it blends with the established sandcrawler design perfectly. I love all the build-a-droid parts scattered around as well. Definitely one of the best ideas Hasbro ever had, when put to use like this!! Great stuff.

Whoa! Front paged! I'm honored.

Also, thanks for the comments guys. Another reason I did this project is because of the Build a Droid figures. The inside of the MCC reminded me of the old Kenner Droid Factory set and I wanted something for all of my extra droid parts. Really wish Hasbro would find more reasons to release Build a Droid parts.
By w.meyles
First I thought: Okay, orginal design. Bit dotty yellow painting, but nice. Like the size and colouring. Okay.
Than the thing openened up and became a giant playset!!! Oh my God, what a fantastic thing this is! :o
Hasbro should pay you a couple of thousand dollars, and than take it into production. I would be a buyer for sure.
I love the many layers, the fine way you held up the industrial design in the interiors. There is so much going on: a lorry moving, oil baths, dejarik playtable, cockpit. And it has lightnings too?! Please add a photo for that without flash.
One minor tip: the inside should have been more greasy and dirty. Like the Falcon is in the movie. Just use a dark grey wash and add some brown oil-drippings here and there and it will rock even more.
All in all: a very inspiring project. Thanks for sharing!
By TK1945
w.meyles wrote:First I thought: Okay, orginal design. Bit dotty yellow painting, but nice. Like the size and colouring. Okay.
Than the thing openened up and became a giant playset!!! Oh my God, what a fantastic thing this is! :o
Hasbro should pay you a couple of thousand dollars, and than take it into production. I would be a buyer for sure.
I love the many layers, the fine way you held up the industrial design in the interiors. There is so much going on: a lorry moving, oil baths, dejarik playtable, cockpit. And it has lightnings too?! Please add a photo for that without flash.
One minor tip: the inside should have been more greasy and dirty. Like the Falcon is in the movie. Just use a dark grey wash and add some brown oil-drippings here and there and it will rock even more.
All in all: a very inspiring project. Thanks for sharing!

Hasbro wouldn't have to pay me a thing. They made a version of the G.I. Joe MCC as recently as 2003. I'd take a job though. :D

And if you are not familiar with the vehicle I used, look here.
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/87/mobilecommandcenter/
By TK1945
Thanks again for the comments gang. I've got a few questions from people about what paints I used, so here's the rundown.

Since I live in a small town that doesn't have a hobby shop, I used spray paint from Walmart and a local hardware store. I first used Krylon grey primer then I coated it with Rust-oleum flat brown on the outside. After the brown dried, I did some quick passes with Rust-olium Satin cinnamon on the outside and silver on the inside. Finally, I used acrylic paints for the details like the orange rust, black weathering, and sand. Finally, I used a silver paint marker for some final details.

Also, you might want to check out either Joecustoms.com or Hisstank.com for hints about working with vintage Joe vehicles. From my experience, the plastic on older toys can be brittle and brake very easily. I use either a hair dryer or hot water when taking them apart to avoid any damage.

Hope this helps.
By tombaker
Hi there, first of all i love your sandcrawler!
I wanted to let you know that you inspired me into making one of my own, instead of torchering myself every time i look at your great creation wishing i had one of my own. I managed to get a beaten up gi joe command center myself, and before i go to work on the paintjob if first have to make some repairs to it and replace missing parts.
I am sure you already found out yourself that the vehicle is very fragile and parts of it break off easy, so i have to fix that first.
I will try to keep updates on my progress for the next months, or however long this will take me, and post some pics as soon as it is finished. Just wanted to say, thank you for the inspiration! I just hope my crawler will going to look as awesome as yours.

Greetings
By Paulskywalker
This is just superb, if Hasbro made a Sandcrawler this way i would snap it up.

ROGUE ONE - A STAR WARS STORY - THE VINTAGE COLL[…]

01. Captain Cassain Andor (Imperial Officer‘s Disg[…]

Thanks - I can share the parts list... head - 5po[…]

Yakfinities #71 - ideas phase

So far, I think I would vote for either Desert (Fi[…]

Triple Zero looks great - really cool. Thanks![…]

Yakfinities #70 - DROIDS

0-0-0.JPG 0-0-0 (Doctor Aphra comics) 0-0-0, o[…]

Determine the final spot for The Black Series: The[…]

Results! 01. Paige Tico 02. Lt. Kaydel Ko Connix […]