Image Image Image Image Image

Jawa Sandcrawler Scout Class

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: Jawa Sandcrawler Scout Class

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:54 pm

TK1945 wrote:That is if I can ever get it back from my oldest boy. He loves playing with this! lol!

Ha ha, that makes this thing even better. :)

:wink:
Grimace
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Grimace » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:33 am

WOW!! that thing is beautiful!

nice work
99%
ScorpioAttack
Midi-Chlorian

Postby ScorpioAttack » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:24 pm

This is absolutely superb! Detailing is fantastic, and it blends with the established sandcrawler design perfectly. I love all the build-a-droid parts scattered around as well. Definitely one of the best ideas Hasbro ever had, when put to use like this!! Great stuff.
"Just open the door you stupid lump!"

SNEEBU'S STAR WARS CUSTOMS
http://www.facebook.com/Sneebu
My custom figures facebook page
rc-1207 Sev
Bounty Hunter

Postby rc-1207 Sev » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Just amazing man !!!!!!! Cant imagine how long that took.
What happened hasbro, 14 POA to much to ask for ?
darthmadonna
Bounty Hunter

Postby darthmadonna » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:32 pm

I love the features added in. I would really love it if Hasbro could make a regular sandcrawler and pack in those kinds of fun features it sort of incorporates the old Jawa droid factory playset with the vehicle. Very inspiring.
Jedimaster-c
Cantina Bartender

Postby Jedimaster-c » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:39 pm

The vehicle he used to make this is from GI Joe called the Mobile Command Center that came out in 1987 and was rereleased back in 2003.This thing is amazing.I wish I had talent like this.can we see the inside of the cab?
TK1945
Midi-Chlorian

Postby TK1945 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:57 pm

ScorpioAttack wrote:This is absolutely superb! Detailing is fantastic, and it blends with the established sandcrawler design perfectly. I love all the build-a-droid parts scattered around as well. Definitely one of the best ideas Hasbro ever had, when put to use like this!! Great stuff.

Whoa! Front paged! I'm honored.

Also, thanks for the comments guys. Another reason I did this project is because of the Build a Droid figures. The inside of the MCC reminded me of the old Kenner Droid Factory set and I wanted something for all of my extra droid parts. Really wish Hasbro would find more reasons to release Build a Droid parts.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:27 pm

I had been meaning to front page it for a while, just been very busy with my newborn daughter and also keeping up with my 4-year old son.

Awesome work again!

w.meyles
Midi-Chlorian

Postby w.meyles » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:44 am

First I thought: Okay, orginal design. Bit dotty yellow painting, but nice. Like the size and colouring. Okay.
Than the thing openened up and became a giant playset!!! Oh my God, what a fantastic thing this is! :o
Hasbro should pay you a couple of thousand dollars, and than take it into production. I would be a buyer for sure.
I love the many layers, the fine way you held up the industrial design in the interiors. There is so much going on: a lorry moving, oil baths, dejarik playtable, cockpit. And it has lightnings too?! Please add a photo for that without flash.
One minor tip: the inside should have been more greasy and dirty. Like the Falcon is in the movie. Just use a dark grey wash and add some brown oil-drippings here and there and it will rock even more.
All in all: a very inspiring project. Thanks for sharing!
TK1945
Midi-Chlorian

Postby TK1945 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:05 pm

w.meyles wrote:First I thought: Okay, orginal design. Bit dotty yellow painting, but nice. Like the size and colouring. Okay.
Than the thing openened up and became a giant playset!!! Oh my God, what a fantastic thing this is! :o
Hasbro should pay you a couple of thousand dollars, and than take it into production. I would be a buyer for sure.
I love the many layers, the fine way you held up the industrial design in the interiors. There is so much going on: a lorry moving, oil baths, dejarik playtable, cockpit. And it has lightnings too?! Please add a photo for that without flash.
One minor tip: the inside should have been more greasy and dirty. Like the Falcon is in the movie. Just use a dark grey wash and add some brown oil-drippings here and there and it will rock even more.
All in all: a very inspiring project. Thanks for sharing!

Hasbro wouldn't have to pay me a thing. They made a version of the G.I. Joe MCC as recently as 2003. I'd take a job though. :D

And if you are not familiar with the vehicle I used, look here.
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/87/mobilecommandcenter/
tokiravensky
Cantina Bartender

Postby tokiravensky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 am

i love the scout class sand crawler. it does look like the one in the left side of the painting. very awesome
TK1945
Midi-Chlorian

Postby TK1945 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks again for the comments gang. I've got a few questions from people about what paints I used, so here's the rundown.

Since I live in a small town that doesn't have a hobby shop, I used spray paint from Walmart and a local hardware store. I first used Krylon grey primer then I coated it with Rust-oleum flat brown on the outside. After the brown dried, I did some quick passes with Rust-olium Satin cinnamon on the outside and silver on the inside. Finally, I used acrylic paints for the details like the orange rust, black weathering, and sand. Finally, I used a silver paint marker for some final details.

Also, you might want to check out either Joecustoms.com or Hisstank.com for hints about working with vintage Joe vehicles. From my experience, the plastic on older toys can be brittle and brake very easily. I use either a hair dryer or hot water when taking them apart to avoid any damage.

Hope this helps.
tombaker
Scavenger

Postby tombaker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:09 am

Hi there, first of all i love your sandcrawler!
I wanted to let you know that you inspired me into making one of my own, instead of torchering myself every time i look at your great creation wishing i had one of my own. I managed to get a beaten up gi joe command center myself, and before i go to work on the paintjob if first have to make some repairs to it and replace missing parts.
I am sure you already found out yourself that the vehicle is very fragile and parts of it break off easy, so i have to fix that first.
I will try to keep updates on my progress for the next months, or however long this will take me, and post some pics as soon as it is finished. Just wanted to say, thank you for the inspiration! I just hope my crawler will going to look as awesome as yours.

Greetings
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 pm

I got to see this thing in person, thanks to meeting TK1945 in person at the most recent ToyMan toy show in St. Louis last month... it's a fantastic piece, and TK1945 is a very nice guy! Thank for also selling me some Joes to my son for a good price!

Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby Paulskywalker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

This is just superb, if Hasbro made a Sandcrawler this way i would snap it up.
If i wanted figures like Rebels and Legends series i'd build a time machine. Even if i did want them, i'd probably still need a time machine..

Return to “Creations”