A WIP Mocumentary......BY HYPERDRIVE

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

hyperdrive
Nerf Herder

A WIP Mocumentary......BY HYPERDRIVE

Postby hyperdrive » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:43 am

UPDATE 12/4/12

O.K. I was able to finish this project in time for the Secret Santa with time enough to mail it to it's recipient. I hope that it goes to a good home. For the Secret Santa project, I figured that a classic character from the movie that started it all would be a good choice. This is my take on another all time favorite of mine......the Tusken Raider. I'm very happy with the results, and I am going to make a few of these guys for my personal collection.

Update 11/4/12
Hello again friends
This custom is inspired by my favorite novel of all time, The Hobbit. This is for a diorama that I am creating. I dont usually stray from the Star Wars universe but occasionally a project comes along that interests me. There is so much to finish on my work table at the moment, including two female characters for the new Yakfinities project/contest but I needed to clear my head and try something new to get the creative juices flowing again. THis is MY interpretation of what the wizard Gandalf looks like in my own mind, it mirrors the movie version but to me, a wizard carries a pipe and a staff, not much else. Custom sculpted pipe and satchel, leather belts, custom formed and dyed wizard hat, custom made and dyed robes, re-purposed tuskan raider cloak hand dyed for his wizard cloak, pretty much everything is custom. Resculpted head from the current Gandalf figure, the only non modified piece is his awesome staff from the current Hobbit line, repainted. Comments always appreciated and i promise to get these other figures completed soon.

ImageUpdate 2/14/12

Here is my third entry for the Yakfinities: Cantina Denizens project. You may know him as Momaw Nadon but to me he will be HAMMERHEAD till the day I die. I tried something new here, I made two distinct outfits, one in the movie accurate brown top and one which is a tribute to the vintage hammerhead figure which has that aqua blue jumper. I couldn't resist the opportunity to create an outfit based on a unique vintage figure. As you can see, all of the pieces are interchangeable so you can mix and match his clothing for different looks. Everything is hand made as always and the figure was built on a ultra articluated figure base from a Marvel Universe figure. I sanded it down as usual to get the fabric to lay right, the belts and everything is made from vinyl. This piece features a working buckle as well.

workbench for weeks and I wanted to get it finished before I made a few more cantina denizens for the current Yakfinities contest. Here's one of my all time favorite characters.....PERIOD! I love Kenobi! I thought that Kenobi in Episode 1 was a seriously cool character and this is my sort of "definitive" version of the character. All of his robes, pants, belt, buckle etc were hand made with the exception of the comm unit and lightsaber which were modified to fit onto his belt. I hope that I have done my favorite character justice. The figure was built on an AOTC Obi Wan figure from TVC, sanded down to make a thin body so that the thickness of the fabric didn't impede the articulation. All Super Articulation remains intact. Thanks for looking

Adding my latest custom figure, Wuher: cantina bartender to my thread. He has been submitted for the current Cantina Denizens customizing challenge. As always, thanks for looking

Hi everybody,

Here's some of my custom figure projects that I've been working on recently, plus a few of my older ones from a while back. Thanks for looking

Baniss Keeg, Cantina Denizen Yakfinities #43 entry

Sharad Hett, Jedi Knight

Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight

[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2img]

ImageImage

Old Ben Kenobi, Jundland Wastes Hermit

Last edited by hyperdrive on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 23 times in total.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: Hyperdrive's custom figure thread

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Those are some of the most outstanding renditions of characters using soft goods that I've ever seen. You must have a lot of patience to be able to be able to make the outfits in this fashion... if you don't mind me asking, about how long does it take you to make and outfit in soft goods?

:wink:
hyperdrive
Nerf Herder

Postby hyperdrive » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:42 pm

It takes me a couple of weeks to make each outfit . the toughest part is trying to come up with a pattern . it's hard working on the scale . my wife has a nice sewing machine in it makes the job a lot easier . I try to go for movie accurate but it's not always the case . just a steady amount of patience . it's difficult when it doesn't come out right the first time in you have to do it all over again
stroebel83
Teras Kasi

Postby stroebel83 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:58 pm

great job hyperdrive, superb soft goods, thank you for sharing
"From Endor to Hoth/ Ripley to Spock
I'll find what you want/ But there's gonna be a cost
See, my name is Boba Fett/ I know my [shots are] tight
Start not actin'right/ You're frozen in carbonite"
MC Chris "Fett's Vette"
drod26
Storm Trooper

Postby drod26 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:53 am

Outstanding use of soft goods.. which we can get a Luke that looks like yours. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by drod26 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghostskull18
Droid

Postby ghostskull18 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:25 pm

WoW! your customs and softgood work is AMAZING!!! :mrgreen:
hyperdrive
Nerf Herder

Postby hyperdrive » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:17 am

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I love this site, so much creativity can be found here, its awesome to share my work with all of you. My second cantina denizen should be ready by the end of next week. I'm having a hard time with this particular character, I dont want to blow the suprise but I want to do this figure justice. Again, thanks for all the feedback everyone :lol:
Incom
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Incom » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 am

Awesome work, my friend! Good to see you here as well! Man, old Ben looks sensational like that, but the Duros and A'sharad are truly outstanding. Thanks for sharing!
Follow me around the web
ImageImage
DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:33 pm

This is soft goods done right. It's not the style I prefer for my collection, but man you make it WORK. Hard to believe these aren't larger 12" figures, that's some detailed stiching!
hyperdrive
Nerf Herder

Re: Hyperdrive's custom figure thread, UPDATE 1/26/12

Postby hyperdrive » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:42 am

Here's a current work bench project, Jedi Knight: Kit Fisto. He will receive the custom sewn and dyed soft goods robes, pants, belts, and accessories that all of my figures get. I want to make his Jedi tunic removable so that he can go shirtless for underwater missions as seen in the CW series. This figure will be created in the realistic style os 3 3/4 inch figures. Next step is to sand the figure with a dremel so that it will accept the soft goods properly. Then I will measure for his clothing.
drod26
Storm Trooper

Re: Wuher the Bartender by Hyperdrive, UPDATE 1/26/12

Postby drod26 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

wuher looks amazing.. the towel in his belt its a really nice touch.. I also like the painted sculpt, very nice..

Cant wait to see kit fisto..Nice choice of body.. Can I ask why you are sanding it down to measure for his clothing? Is it because he is to bulky?
mousedroidhoojib
Droid

Postby mousedroidhoojib » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Spectacular stuff, hyperdrive. Do you have any particular tricks with regards to how you weathered Wuher's shirt, and particularly making Baniss Keeg and Sharad Hett's boots appear as natural as they do?
hyperdrive
Nerf Herder

Postby hyperdrive » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:11 am

drod26 wrote:wuher looks amazing.. the towel in his belt its a really nice touch.. I also like the painted sculpt, very nice..

Cant wait to see kit fisto..Nice choice of body.. Can I ask why you are sanding it down to measure for his clothing? Is it because he is to bulky?

Yes, I will sand down all of the MARVEL UNIVERSE muscles on his legs because they will appear too bumpy under the fabric. I want Kit's pants to appear as they do in the movies, not too baggy but not like spandex either. THe muscles will bulge under the fabric if I dont sant down those features. Also the MARVEL UNIVERSE belt will be removed and I'll need to figure out what I'm goint to do in it's place. Hope it helps :mrgreen:
hyperdrive
Nerf Herder

Postby hyperdrive » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:19 am

mousedroidhoojib wrote:Spectacular stuff, hyperdrive. Do you have any particular tricks with regards to how you weathered Wuher's shirt, and particularly making Baniss Keeg and Sharad Hett's boots appear as natural as they do?

I wrap the boots in the world's best and most unknown customizing material, HOCKEY TAPE. Hockey is my religion (and my boy's as well...GO BRUINS) and over the years this stuff is the most valuable material I own in my box. You can buy it wherever sporting goods are available (well hockey equipment anyway). It's the stuff that players use to wrap their sticks with, pads etc. It comes in many colors, I use white, black and light blue. It takes dye well and holds and bonds to plastic and fabric like a dream. It can be folded onto itself which makes very cool belts, tabbards, holsters, under tunics and ......bar towels. :wink: You gotta get some! For those wrapped boots, I simply cut thin ribbons of the tape and began at the bottom of the boot. I slowly wrapped UPWARD which gives it that layered look. Then I went back and sorta criss crossed some pieces over the layered tape to give it a random look. I then stained the tape to the desired weathered look. Hope it helps out. Give it a try :mrgreen:
DarthDaddy
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby DarthDaddy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:10 am

Your soft goods work is truly AMAZING!!

Return to “Creations”