Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By mousedroidhoojib
Thanks heaps, Evilivo and MarcusStarkiller. It was quite difficult to avoid the temptation to properly clothe the figure in fabric, but that would have ruined the vintage vibe that I was going for.

For the two characters shots posted, I was trying to a) go for the look that appeared on the vintage vehicle/creature boxes of a character in vehicle/creature surrounded by other characters who stand around with arms raised as is their want:

and 2) go for the solid colour background that accompanied the 20 back vintage cardback character pictures:

Hopefully both kinda-sorta work in the way that they were intended.
By mousedroidhoojib
Issue 61 of the classic Marvel Comics Star Wars series, later republished by Dark Horse Comics in their "A Long Time Ago..." trade paperback and omnibus series', showed Shira Brie wearing the same Bespin Fatigues that Luke sported in The Empire Strikes Back. Of course, being the printing style of the day, the colour of the costume did change from white to bright orange between panels though...

Recipe:

* GI Joe 25th Anniversary Scarlett blue
* some modelling clay
* some material
* Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Red Gore", "Kommando Khaki" paints

By Evilivo
Nice work on your latest custom, that's a lot of tailoring :) This time, though, the clothes seem a little bulkier... Love how you did the boots and the seamless work on the soft goods.
By mousedroidhoojib
Thanks heaps for the kind words, Darthstreams, Evilivo and YAK_Chewie.

While Hasbro released as part of The Vintage Collection a figure of Han Solo as he was seen during the Yavin Ceremony at the end of A New Hope, their version had Han's collar down and sleeves up as opposed to how he appeared on screen. No doubt this oversight will be revisited in the future, but for the moment, I thought that I would put together my own version.

Recipe:

* Indiana Jones head, sans hat
* GI Joe 25th Anniversary body, sans head and feet
* House Of M Spider-Man feet
* some modelling clay
* some material
* Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Chaos Black", "Skull White", "Dark Flesh", "Bestial Brown", "Scorched Brown", "Desert Yellow", "Mithril Silver", "Burnished Gold", "Blood Red" paints

By mousedroidhoojib
Issue 77 of the classic Marvel Star Wars comic entitled Chanteuse Of The Stars featured Princess Leia Organa and Luke Skywalker visiting Kabray Station with their Hoojib compatriate Plif posing as the diplomat from Arbra in order to infiltrate an Imperial diplomatic summit there. Wearing a blue gown, Leia is mistakenly taken for an entertainer and forced to sing for the governor of the station whilst Luke and Plif try to prevent a potential crisis.

Recipe:

* Winx Club Believix Flora (modified, for the entire body sans head)
* my own cast of the head of Vintage Collection Princess Leia (Hoth Outfit)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Scorched Brown", "Red Gore"/"Bleached Bone" (mixed to make a pink) paints

Image Image

By Evilivo
Very nice Leia, this body frame helps the end figure not to look bulky. Also I like the way you painted her head, very realistic - good job!
By mousedroidhoojib
Thanks heaps, Evilivo.

Episode 8 of the 2003 Clone Wars micro-series introduced Obi-Wan Kenobi in Clone Trooper armour riding a 105-K Lancer bike in a jousting battle with the bounty hunter Durge and his droid army. While Hasbro twice visited the character in this costume before the seeming Lucasfilm embargo on characters from the original Clone Wars series, neither version had a particularly good likeness to Ewan McGregor nor utilised the latest and greatest version of the Clone Trooper body. As such, I thought that I would put together a new version and my take on a lance speeder bike to go along with him.

Obi-Wan Recipe:

* Vintage Collection VC45 Clone Trooper (for the entire body, sans head)
* Vintage Collection Obi-Wan Kenobi (for the head)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* Citadel "Elf Flesh", "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Grave Yard Earth" "Space Wolves Gray", "Dark Flesh", "Ultra Marines Blue" paints

Lancer Bike Recipe:

* Movie Heroes Sith Speeder (modified, for the main body)
* GI Joe ROC Snake Eyes (for the launcher and rocket * 2)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* Citadel "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Blood Red", "Golden Yellow", "Boltgun Metal" paints

By DeltaSev
Awesome, I like everything about this custom, the soft goods, the attention to detail on his head (I really like the gray streaks in his hair) and that speeder bike is a great custom in its own right. I really like this set!
By mousedroidhoojib
Thanks muchly, wraith_nineyak and DeltaSev. Obi-Wan is my favourite character and as such, I have been a little reluctant to try out customs of him until relatively recently. Hopefully the occurrence of a few of them over the last couple of pages isn't off-putting.

Next up, while only having a fleeting appearance in the film, the Snivvian Wiorkettle seen on Cloud City did feature prominantly in The Empire Strikes Back Colouring Book and other merchandise at the time of release, and as such, is perhaps surprising that Kenner/Hasbro hasn't yet visited as a figure in 3.75" scale form.

Recipe:

* The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Balin (modified, for the entire body sans head, feet and hands)
* Vintage Collection Admiral Ackbar (for the feet)
* some modelling clay
* some material
* Citadel "Kommando Khaki", "Skull White", "Chaos Black" paints

By mousedroidhoojib
Dates and numbers mean a great deal to me, so when I realised that both my 200th custom item and the third anniversary of my creating my first were approaching, I figured (pardon the pun) that I better do something special. Given that the precedent had been set with my 100th custom being a 12" Molly Mahoney (as played by Natalie Portman in Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium), it made sense to continue my recent run of Padme costumes and touch on what is perhaps her most famous costume - the red Queen Amidala Theed invasion gown as seen during The Phantom Menace, in 6" scale with my preferred fabric clothing. Given its prominence in promotional material, it is very surprising that Hasbro has only visited this costume twice since 1999 - a 12" version in the Episode I line, and a 3.75" version in the Power Of The Jedi line. With Hasbro making it clear that prequel figures will be few and far between in the 6" Black Series line - not to mention their continued company line of "girl figures don't sell" despite evidence to the contrary - it would seem unlikely that there will an official version of this costume in the near future.

Recipe:

* resin cast of Sculpey Push Mold-Woman Doll (for the hands, head and torso)
* DC Universe Classics Mary Marvel (for the arms, legs and neck)
* a white Laser Finger Beam
* some modelling clay
* some material
* 5 * clear shank buttons
* some Velcro
* some doll hair
* Citadel "Skull White", "Chaos Black", "Elf Flesh", "Shining Gold", "Mithril Silver", "Scorched Brown", "Red Gore", "Grave Yard Earth" paints

Image Image

While I could have just made the costume and called it quits, I really wanted to be able to achieve the same sort of light-up baubles as seen in the movie costume, whilst not sacrificing the ability to sit or be posed. Not having any particular electronics skills, I took apart a single LED diode and its 3 * button cell batteries and encased them into a hollowed out female torso, with the diode itself perched between the two hip joints and shining downwards (yes, that does mean that light shines out of a place where the sun don't shine!):

The light itself shines through clear buttons attached along the bottom of the dress, with a trigger hidden on the figure's back, and Velcro allowing access to the battery compartment if needed in future:

Excuse the quality of the photo - I hadn't realised how hard it would be to take a shot of the lighting effect in an otherwise pitch black room:

The costume does look much better in full light:

In comparison to the 3.75" and 12" Hasbro versions (and the Pepsi bottlecap):

Thanks for looking!
By DeltaSev
I'm also surprised how Hasbro has neglected this outfit when it's one of her most iconic outfits. Really nice custom, I think it's great you went the extra mile to give her the lighting effect. Great soft goods as always!
I make stuff too!

I should maybe revisit that Luke; he might need bl[…]

Silvasu Fi p63 / Index p1

You must have quite the collection of bodiless clo[…]

Here is my attempt at a character that may or may […]

Funko Reaction Maria (robot)

Thought this Maria robot figure from the movie Met[…]

TVC 2019/2020 Discussion

There are a lot more SW toy items available in Ta[…]

Yakfinities #74 - Vote Now

I'm working on an wanted ex Rebel militia turned […]

They carve up nice. Like chicken. https://i.[…]