Articulating K-2SO

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Evilivo
Droid

Articulating K-2SO

Postby Evilivo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:38 pm

I promised earlier to show how I articulated Hasbro's 5 POA K-2SO. To do so I decided to make a new one, since I didn't take enough photos the first time. And I decided to make it a bit different this time, using better joints. I'm making a new thread for him, since it will be pic-heavy.
I thought of using the pins and joints from my unused Build A Droid parts, since it hurts me to damage a figure just for the part. Well, except this unlucky clone, he's been a donor for a while :)
So, here are the parts I need.

Boiled and popped to prepare for cutting the ball joints for the pins inside...

And here is what I'll actually be using...

Some of the he pins needed to be smaller, so I shaved some plastic there with a scalpel blade.

Here is the arm cut above the elbow. Next thing is to cut it in the middle of the joint so it can accept the round part of the pin...

The cut has been made...

The pin fits :) Next is drilling a hole in the upper arm, so the pin can be inserted. I put some vaseline in there to make the turning easier.

Then I cut the forearm to make a swivel joint there. I used a pin from a droid's foot, sanding it to fit the thin limbs of K2. I wish I had some sturdy plastic and be able just to make some pins, instead of ruining figures for parts!

The pin was superglued to the forearm...

Using clear plastic sprues from a Bandai kit, I made a pin for the elbow joint, so it could be more authentic to the movie (didn't make it with the previous one)

I heated the clear plastic with a lighter (very carefully) until it started to melt, then quickly pressed it and the joint was ready :)

It moves quite well, isn't loose and gives two areas of articulation in this point plus the swivel of the forearm. The previous time I achieved this the harder way, but didn't use other figures.

Next is the wrist (I didn't do it the last time but saw it done by a fellow customizer and will give it a try). I hope this is interesting for some of you :)
This hobby just gets curiouser and curiouser!
Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Re: Articulating K-2SO

Postby Utinniii » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 pm

This was a great tutorial!

Next time you need to cut up an expired credit card, save it to make joints. Some plastic tupperware also could work.
I use various round pins for ball-joints.
JawaKing
Droid

Postby JawaKing » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:37 pm

Great job on the figure and tutorial!
Evilivo
Droid

Postby Evilivo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 am

Thanks, guys :)
Utinniii, I don't think the plastic of the credit cards is rigid enough for the stress joints experience. What kind of tupperware are you using? The pin heads are great for ball joints, but not for every figure - for example in this case with a droid. Fortunately I don't do this often - I still hope Hasbro will return the SA format for the new Vintage Collection and revisit some figures from the last few years.
Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Postby Utinniii » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:05 am

I suppose how often you play with a figure makes a difference (I don't play with mine) with how sturdy something needs to be. I use a thick sturdy plastic, I don't know the brand.

Actually, I lucked out one year as the store I worked at was throwing out expired yearly planners with a hard plastic covers. I've seen a couple of binders made from a sturdy plastic.

Plastic toothpicks also make great pegs. Some are ribbed so they fit in nicely.
Evilivo
Droid

Postby Evilivo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:03 pm

You don't play with your figures? SHAME, SHAME (bell ringing) ;)
Yes, I have used ribbed toothpicks for the wrists of my troopers from Rogue One and they work great :)
However, for the wrists of K2 the approach was different - well, in fact the same as the process I depicted above, but I forgot to take pictures. The peg was made from soft black plastic from Bandai kit sprues.

... and on to the legs in the next post :)
DarthDaddy
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby DarthDaddy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:07 am

Nice job! I need to do this to my K-2SO at some point in the future.
Evilivo
Droid

Postby Evilivo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks, and yes, you should - it changes the figure dramatically in the good direction :)
Next is the knee joint - I repeated the steps I did with the elbow. This time the pin was a better match and no filing was necessary.

Pin is "installed"

Knee is finished, again with a transparent plastic sprue from a bandai kit.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:40 pm

:wink:
WhillsScholar
Midi-Chlorian

Postby WhillsScholar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 am

Wow, I certainly could use a K2 with elbow and knee joints so he could sit more naturally in my 1:18 U-wing cockpit! Great job on this -- your work looks flawless. Bookmarked this to maybe try doing your mod later.

* Thread about my 1:18 U-Wing (I've put the plans online for free download):

http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8274
Evilivo
Droid

Postby Evilivo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks for the front page, Chewie :) WhillsScholar, your U-wing is a work of art!
So, the final step in artikulating K2 - the ankles. The pins I had were a tad bigger so I filed their pegs and the round disks to match the joint of the figure.

I cut the ankle above the joint and made the cut with the scalpel in the middle of the joint again to fit the disk of the pin.

Here the disk is in place and fits well. Next step is to drill a hole through the joint and to insert a black plastic rod, made from Bandai sprue again. Then I heat-seal it.

And here he is, articulated in all areas but the torso.

Now on to the paint :)
GrandMoffHux14
Cantina Bartender

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:01 am

AMAZING work, all you customizers on here amaze me time after time, and I have to say this may be my favorite custom I've seen in these forums.
Passionate Star Wars fan/collector for all my life, Troop builder, teenager.

Other forum account:
https://disqus.com/by/GHuxy15/
Evilivo
Droid

Postby Evilivo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:12 am

Thanks, GrandMoffHux14 :)

And now, finally, the SA K-2SO painted and overall finished. Couldn't resist some fun photos with him and his predecessor.
I used different brands of paints, mainly dark gunmetal acrylics, applied with brush. The imperial symbol on the shoulders was erased again and replaced with the stickers from Bandai AT-ST model. Enjoy!

My first attempt at articulating K-2SO is for trading now, I suppose I'll have to post this in the section for trades, but let it sit here, too :)
Rogue82
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Rogue82 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:17 am

Right, tutorial printed, I'm off to try this myself.

Lovely work Evilivo and an excellent how to guide, especially the photography.

Thank you
Chris

Return to “Creations”