Image Image Image Image Image

Concept #6: DOCKING BAY 94

localgotal

Concept #6: DOCKING BAY 94

Postby localgotal » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:54 am

When the special editions were first released, the scene I was most excited to see was the confrontation between Jabba and Han in docking bay 94. Although in retrospect I feel the scene doesn't work with the pacing of the film, it was fun to see. It also had several unique "space pirate" type characters that I wanted as figures the second I saw them.

Most of these characters would require new tooling, a few legs and arms could be reused from past figures.

Boelo My favorite of the Docking Bay crew. I love his weird pointy hat and lanky silhouette. He just has a really distinct look. If anyone of these guys have a chance being a figure, it's him.

Jabba the Hutt I could see Hasbro not making the human "Jabba", it may be too obscure or not fit with the current character cannon. However we have received deleted scene and Holiday Special figures before, so anything is possible. Maybe pack him with a Chewie and a Han and make it a convention exclusive.

Gela Yeens I feel this shady character could be made with some existing tooling (Kithaba legs, Windu arms). Fun Fact his name may be an anagram of "Angel Eyes", a reference to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Davelyn Schmee This poor henchmen doesn't have an official name, so I'm giving him the fan made moniker. He's another really unique looking character.
The great thing for diorama builders is all three of Jabba's henchmen also appear in the cantina, warranting multiple purchases. I think out of the background humans yet to be made these are some of the most unique. Look at Davelyn's head sculpt alone. I could see customizers picking him up just for it alone.

So what do you think of this set? It's chances of being made are slim, but I think if released right (maybe split into two packs with some existing tooling Han, Boba, Rodian, Chewie) it could do well. So would you buy this???
Last edited by localgotal on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: Concept #6: DOCKING BAY 94

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 pm

You have outdone yourself once again! Like so many of your other mockups, this is a triumph!

Boelo might be my favorite of the bunch, ever since seeing him so many hears ago in the Special Edition, I though he'd make a cool figure... hell, they all would! The human version of Jabba is also great - if anything, I wish Lucas had left this scene with that character, and modified Han's voice to make it sound like this guy worked FOR Jabba, and wasn't a stand-in.

Again - truly great work. What a shame it is that Hasbro has ignored these guys.

:wink:
localgotal

Postby localgotal » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks!!! I remember in the radio drama Han meets with one of Jabba's higher ups, Heater. In my mind I always think of human Jabba being this character.
Grimace
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Grimace » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:28 pm

yay for human characters! I would get a few of each
99%
darthapathy
Rebel / Imperial Pilot

Postby darthapathy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Another fantastic set. You are really knocking these out of the park. Now, if Hasbro would just step up and make these all would be good.
darthapathy
Rebel / Imperial Pilot

Postby darthapathy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Here is possibly an interesting tidbit of information. West End Games, who had the rights to the Star Wars RPG before Wizards of the Coast, made an identity for the Human version of Jabba seen in the original version. Meet Opun "Blackhole" Mcgrrrr

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Opun
UKHistory
Scavenger

Postby UKHistory » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Great idea. Brian Daley's Star Wars radio drama rewrote the scene for presumably the human Jabba rep as a man named Heater. I love the scene and the rewritten version by Daley shows Han in a very honorable light. There is also a cool Boba Fetter reference in the scene.

Love this mockup. I really would like to have all three figures and am presently working all three of the henchmen.

YAK_Chewie wrote:You have outdone yourself once again! Like so many of your other mockups, this is a triumph!

Boelo might be my favorite of the bunch, ever since seeing him so many hears ago in the Special Edition, I though he'd make a cool figure... hell, they all would! The human version of Jabba is also great - if anything, I wish Lucas had left this scene with that character, and modified Han's voice to make it sound like this guy worked FOR Jabba, and wasn't a stand-in.

Again - truly great work. What a shame it is that Hasbro has ignored these guys.

:wink:
localgotal

Postby localgotal » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Cool I didn't know about Opun "Blackhole" Mcgrrrr! I love Jabba's goons and these guys seem to get forgotten. Look Forward to seeing your customs UKHistory! :D
Evilivo
Droid

Postby Evilivo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Another great entry in your Concept series! If Hasbro made Jocasta, why not these - at least they are from the Original Trilogy :)
This hobby just gets curiouser and curiouser!
Scarrviper
Scavenger

Postby Scarrviper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:46 am

Amazing work once again. This set needs to happen, I would buy it in a heartbeat. These are the types of figures I've always liked the most - obscure backgrounders.
localgotal

Postby localgotal » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks Scarviper! I simply adore the Gela Yeens and Bearded Henchmen you made.
Sjefke
Scavenger

Postby Sjefke » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 am

These are so entertaining and inspiring. I already have such a long custom-must-make-someday To-Do list, and thanks to you, it keeps getting longer. :wink:
darth_sidious
Emperor

Postby darth_sidious » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Cool concept, but do you think Hasbro could move a set like this? I like obscure stuff, but this might be beyond the line - plus, no aliens! :o
Luke Sprywalker
Nerf Herder

Postby Luke Sprywalker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:09 am

Another set that could fill a hole in everyones collection! I think most all fans would be all over these guys. Very nice work!
Speedermike
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Speedermike » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm

I had to join this site just so I could say how much Iove, love, love this set. If I could get this as a collector, well, that would be it. I would be done. This is just the best thing ever.

Return to “Concepts and Mockups”