Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Here's an early peak at this week's Concept of the Week. The Jabba and Cantina battle packs from past weeks have gotten a great response. I'll admit they are the most fun to make. Here are some two packs with a similar theme. Each set would include some all new, retooled, or repainted background characters from our favorite seedy corners of the Galaxy.

There are quite a few iconic and visible denizens from Return of the Jedi who have yet to be immortalized in plastic. These 2 packs would focus on mostly new never before done characters.

*UPDATE* Here is the final set of the Jabba's Palace figure packs, I may have a few more lined up for future Concept of the Week entries.

Fozec has been on wishlists and rumored for ages. Apparently he's also in Hasbro's "parking lot" of characters they'd like to produce. Although a human occupant, he has an aggressive outfit and Jabba's guard charm - certainly not boring. He is also quite visible in many scenes among the palace court. Fozec could reuse the fantastic VC Nikto legs with an all new upper body/head. Fozec also has a bit of repaint potential as the unfortunately unnamed shirtless skiff guard is wearing the same costume. Fozec would include a battle staff (reissue from Boushh), drinking glass, removable helmet, and goggles (yep he's wearing them on his forehead). I think we will see Fozec at some point, it's just a matter of when?

Wam "Blam" Lufba certainly looks like a rejected creation from the Henson Workshop. He's odd to say the least, however his cheesy design makes him somewhat endearing and dare I say it a worthy action figure. I felt the same way about Ben Quadinaros- I hated his "toonie" design, yet he made a fantastic figure! Wam also has some nostalgia tied to him - a mini figure simply labeled Yuzzum was included with the old ERTL Jabba's Palace model kit. Wam would be a brand new fully articulated sculpt and include his signature big ol' riffle.

The pack in creature for the final set would be the "toadstool terror" Loje Nella.

Several characters on set reused the alien masks from ANH's cantina. Here's two of them...

Geezum gets a decent amount of screen time and can be spotted in both the palace and sale barge (artoo spills drinks all over his outfit, poor guy. Well the good and bad news is he won't have to worry about that laundry bill thanks to Luke. :wink: ) Originally I thought he could be made using some parts from the target 3-pack snaggletooth, however his mask is actually the revised version first seen in the Holiday Special and would require an all new sculpt. I think of the non skiff palace goons he has a decent chance seeing a figure - being both an alien and having an "aggressive" outfit. Geezum comes with a drinking glass, blaster, and working holster.

The unnamed H'nemthe is a little harder to spot. The best image is from a production photo, standing next to Ephant Mon. This character would use most of it's parts from M'iiyoom Onith - plus a new vest, lower robe, and use the VC Wooof arms.. The H'nemthe would come packed with a drinking glass and skiff blaster.

The new pack in creature would be the creepy-crawly Sic-Six

Shasa Tiel is my number one most wanted Jabba's Palace figure, and is a major hole in our collection. I was severely disappointed in the POTF2 line when we received the rebel Ishi Tib and not the iconic Jabba goon. Shasa would require a brand new unique sculpt (for the sake of this mock-up I used the POTF2 head and hands). Unlike a lot of backgrounders Shasa is quite visible in several parts of the film. I think he is most notable for appearing on the vintage Jedi Luke's card back- stalking in the background as Luke aims the guard's blaster. Such a cool and iconic OT Alien! Shasa would include a drinking glass.

Laudica definitely has a striking look - from the pale face makeup, to the bright red jumpsuit, and the totally 80's hair. She would be an extensive retool of the Discover the Force Aura Sing. A new upper torso with sculpted brass necklace, a new head sculpt, and a new belt would be needed. She would also use the arms from the VC Bespin Leia. Although not as interesting as the various aliens in the palace, she is quite noticeable with that bright jumpsuit of her's in the sea of earth tones most of the court wears. Laudica would include a bar glass and blaster.

Lastly each two pack would include an accessory similar to the K-Mart Scanning Crew sets. For Jabba's palace I feel the best accessories would be Jabba's "pets". These small creatures would be light on articulation - at most one or two points, but great for adding diversity to our Palace creatures. This 2 pack would include the Rock Wart.

I love sets like this and think they are a great way to get new collectors interested. For example if a single Shasa Tiel was hanging on the peg that isn't going to get most new collectors to begin the daunting task of going back and starting a Jabba's Palace focus, but having two or three multi-packs available on the market will give them the instant gratification of having a mini collection. This actually happened to me two years ago with the ewok sets. The only ewoks I owned were the POTF2 logray/wicket, chirpa, and the vintage collection wicket. After the Toy's R Us and Kmart sets I was hooked. I purchased all of the ewoks I missed out on from ebay and eagerly await more of the little buggers. So please Hasbro consider this approach in the future.
Last edited by localgotal on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:31 am, edited 8 times in total.
By localgotal
Thanks! :D I really hope we see a few more palace goons this year. The prospect of Ree-Yees and Sqt. Doallyn have me hopeful we will at least see Shasa. I have some cantina two packs planned as well. :D
By localgotal
YAK_Chewie wrote:That's awesome. I would buy at least 2 of those sets - most likely 3-4 altogether.

I'd probably prefer an all new Ishi Tib head rather than the POTF2 one, which I know is just a mockup you used.

Laudica would be a great addition too, the Star Wars figure realm needs more female representation for sure.

:wink:

Thanks!!!
I agree a brand new sculpt is in order, I'd love to see how great the species would look with modern sculpting.
By darthapathy
How would you like to see these packaged if they ever came into existence? I am guessing in Vintage packaging. Would you want them packaged like the K-Mart sets where we can't see the product or like the Vintage 3 packs? Have you ever thought about mocking up packaging?
By Warsaw
Someone needs to seriously print every week of these mock-ups onto paper, slip them all into protective binder clear sheets and hand them to at least two Hasbro reps at NYC Toy Fair this weekend. These reps talk to loads of people at this show and may not remember where you told them to look online for these concept images. Print them out so they can't possibly forget! :P
By Trooper31
This set would be great. I'd really like to see Hasbro go the set route with 2-4 figures per set. They wouldn't have to take up precious spots in the basic line and we could get a whole bunch of cantina/Jabba's Palace goodness in one shot. They could even go with 2 figures and some set pieces like chairs and tables and what-not.
By localgotal
darthapathy wrote:How would you like to see these packaged if they ever came into existence? I am guessing in Vintage packaging. Would you want them packaged like the K-Mart sets where we can't see the product or like the Vintage 3 packs? Have you ever thought about mocking up packaging?

I was thinking something similar to the target 3 Packs. I love the art on the K-Mart sets, but hate the blind packaging. The Scanning Crew sets I picked up this year I actually had to return because some nerf herder decided to switch the figures with some old POTJ figures.

Trooper31 wrote: They could even go with 2 figures and some set pieces like chairs and tables and what-not.

I like the way you think, check back in a couple weeks for some Cantina sets with chairs and tables. :D I'd even love some rebel/imperial sets with crates, computer consoles, etc.

darth_sidious wrote:I really like that little critter, if another company can release them, why not hasbro? I like the alien figure too, but I'm not sure about the female. I'm all for more female figures, but I'd like the character choice to be more significant.

She definitely is the most dull of the figures in the sets (the rest are very alien heavy), however I feel she adds some needed variety, plus she could use some existing tooling. I decided to put her with the Ishi Tib, as it probably would be the most popular of the new characters in these sets (well save one I'm working on who may be too large to even include a second figure.)

Warsaw wrote:Someone needs to seriously print every week of these mock-ups onto paper, slip them all into protective binder clear sheets and hand them to at least two Hasbro reps at NYC Toy Fair this weekend. These reps talk to loads of people at this show and may not remember where you told them to look online for these concept images. Print them out so they can't possibly forget! :P

Thank you! Paul from JTA was kind enough to share several printed images with the rep at the last New York Comic Con. But anyone going, please feel free to share. I just hope they inspire them!

Thank you everyone, these sets have been great fun to make. I just finished set two and three tonight after work. I may end up doing a few more than the three I intentionally planned.
By UKHistory
Love these. Gotal needs to be hired as a consultant for Hasbro immediately! I love these mockups.

I also think it important for folks to look at these and consider how we can make them using existing figures--many of them to be had on the cheap--ourselves should Hasbro not make them.
By localgotal
UKHistory wrote:I also think it important for folks to look at these and consider how we can make them using existing figures--many of them to be had on the cheap--ourselves should Hasbro not make them.

Thanks UKHistory! Yes I hope some of these "recipe's" inspire the talented customizes out there, I'd love to see them.

Kirkwood had him... might have one left. I think […]

In 1984, as their successful Star Wars line was […]

Utinniii's Unique Creations Vol 2

Nice job on the Ugor. Now you need to make a Squib[…]

Yakfinities #69 - CRIMINALS

Alien Pickpocket: He frequents the spaceport looki[…]

My alien/Separatist love is about to shine through[…]

I don't collect 6" prequel figures... But... […]

I've been seeing your stuff pop up in a group on F[…]

ImperialOfficer's customs

Awesomeness! I will look forward to seeing those h[…]