Image Image Image Image Image

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - SPOILERS THREAD

Discussion about anything related to the post-Lucas movie releases.

Moderators: MistaBinks, Yakface.com Staff

Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens - SPOILERS THREAD

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Going to look into buying advanced tickets. It doesn't seem like it will be too tough to get them in our area. Arnold still has tickets, Chewie. :wink:
StooperZero
Teras Kasi

Postby StooperZero » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:20 am

How did he get Vaders head if Luke torched him??????

is the actual head still in there? don't give me that he went Poof! crap, there was a body in that suit when he loaded up the Lambda shuttle.

I don't like Kylo's or Phasmas' voices.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:49 am

I don't like Kylo Ren's voice either. For some reason I expected it to sound more like Darth Maul's voice, and as if Kylo was trying to sound more intelligent or something. Almost like a false sound of Britishness or something. :p

Overall the trailer had some great shots, but it didn't necessarily get me excited for the movie. The last teaser that came out actually had me super pumped, whereas this one made me feel like I was watching a trailer for a Marvel movie.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Jedighost009
Nerf Herder

Postby Jedighost009 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:40 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:New trailer tonight was a treat. Very cool, all around awesome... only thing I didn't care for was the goofy droid walking past Han, Rey and Finn as they approached the temple.

:wink:

I thought that droid was a bit goofy also but I did like that scene for this...

Mando flag.png
Que La Fuerza te acompañe.

¡La Guerra de las Galaxias es por siempre!
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:55 am

Apparently there's many logo references in jta scene. I think one image I saw there were like 8 different flags referencing characters/groups.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:59 am

Saw the movie tonight... not ready to post a full review, but I wasn't really blown away by what I saw.

It had some good moments, a few great ones, and a couple of really stupid things.

Best parts:
Each Han Solo scene
Rey - good acting
Finn - great acting
Chewbacca - outstanding
Maz - WOW! they nailed this character
Rey's flashback scene

Worst parts:
Snoke - very dumb and no reason for CGI
Monsters on the Freighter - absolutely stupid and completely non-Star Wars
C-3PO - why did he talk about his red arm? people know it's red... dumb
Hux - I'm sorry, but an older dude would seem much more realistic in this role
Phasma - ummm... what in the hell was the point of this character? and what even happened to her? totally bizarre
Starkiller base - sucking energy from a sun? too silly... why even have a super weapon at all? Just have it be a First Order base.. and why wouldn't Leia and the leaders of the Resistance get off their planet if they thought it was going to be destroyed? Just weird and made no sense

I went with a group of 6 people - these are all great friends of mine... a couple of them said they thought this was the worst Star Wars film ever, and even made The Phantom Menace look good. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but really.... I think it could have been (and should have been) better. It felt like the script was really rushed at times and they were trying too hard to cram things in and make it too fast paced...

Thoughts?

:wink:
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:14 am

Great commentary Chewie! Here's mine:

**** HEAVY ON SPOILERS ****

The characters:

* Rey - phenomenal, simply phenomenal, she managed to carry the movie and I'm excited to have her as the new face of the Jedi, I want to know so much more about her. Need a second and third viewing to get some answers, most of which I expect won't come until episode 8 and 9.
* Finn - another phenomenal character, loved him, great humor in the beginning too
* Poe - how can we not root for this guy? He's awesome
* Han - what is there to say? awesome
* Chewie - what happened to his courage? Seems kinda wimpy. What was the point of him getting injured?
* Leia - she looks so old! Yes that is totally sexist because so does Han but I couldn't help but be preoccupied by that
* Luke - looks ridiculous. I thought he was going to burst out laughing or something
* Kylo Ren - Interesting. Total Vader wannabe. Complicated psychology, but ultimately he's a rebellious petulant boy ruled by his emotions. Not formidable in the least.
* Hux - like you said Chewie, too young and poorly acted.
* Phasma - also scratching my head on her. Hopefully she'll appear again in episode 8 and 9 and actually do something.
* Snoke - wtf... is this Harry Potter? He BETTER be some kind of reincarnation of Sidious or something. Hated him.
* Maz - the new Yoda. Meh.
* R2-D2 - reminded me of the army dogs who die or get depressed when their master dies, very sad
* C-3PO - dumb.
* The mobile sarlaacs and and the pirates - meh. Didn't like.
* Maz's cantina aliens - fine, another variation from ep 4 cantina and jabba's palace aliens except they didn't linger on any of them or give them any personality. Still I'm sure we'll all be moaning about getting each and every alien there as figures over the next two decades lol
* The Jakku creatures - love the scavenger who tried to steal BB-8, hated the dealer

The plot:

* From the previews I had gotten the impression that it was going to be "serious" but no, right from the beginning when Poe gets snagged by Kylo Ren there's some humor there. Loved it!
* Family dynamics - not bad
* The escape from the star destroyer - great, but very rushed. Hated that it had a bike lock. Silly.
* The escape from Jakku - awesome!
* The salvage freighter - horrible, but I suppose it was necessary to bring the characters together
* The flashback, reminiscent of Luke's experience in the cave on Dagobah. Will have to examine closely. Was that a flashback to Rey as a little girl? Something tells me Rey is Kylo Ren's sister and somehow her parents don't know she's their daughter.
* The death star planet - pretty neat except the whole powered by the sun thing. Just kind of silly. And did they destroy Coruscant is that what happened there?
* Starkiller base - rushed, rushed, rushed. Nothing to savor but cool anyway
* Han's demise - rushed, not dramatic enough
* Kylo Ren's interrogation of Rey - creepy, didn't like the lurid overtones, that's not star wars ("I can take whatever I want")
* What is it that Kylo Ren is wanting to finish?
* Who is Max Von Sydow's character and how does he know Kylo Ren?

The production:
* Sorely needed a shot of Jakku or something before the moment we first see Rey, it just goes straight there from the scene on the star destroyer
* The non-space ship battles - pretty good! It's a change and it worked, though I loves me the space battles
* It has a bit of the "campy" look of the original star wars here and there, which is a good thing!
* Snoke... is that the villain in Harry Potter?

I have to digest this and I'm seeing it again on Sunday, and then I'll see it at least one more time, but overall I give it a 8/10 which is pretty good, I'm happy with it. The plot is not as "tight" as any of the other movies, which hurts it I think.

8/10 !
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
Bossk67
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Bossk67 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:45 am

I regard myself as a levelheaded individual; but was genuinely nervous in the lead-up to the movie last night and was desperate that I would get a great movie. :oops:

Visually and audibly the movie comfortably met my high hopes and may have even exceeded expectations; it perfectly captured the mood of the OGT and Star Wars universe I love and put the visual debacle of the prequel movies to bed.

It was a very well paced and nicely dialogued movie; that will appeal to the general public; which seems to be born out by the reviews the movie is getting and reaction of my wife [a non-star wars fan] who really enjoyed the movie!

I thought the first hour was absolutely superb; JJ managed to perfectly combine OGT nostalgia, with the introduction of the new core characters. The plot of the second-half was where things went a little awry; with the repeated plot of destroying another Death Star. But, even that was treated the spot-on humor [“so it is a bigger death star…we’ve been here before & know what to do folks”] that featured throughout the movie.

New characters Rey, Finn & Kylo-Ren were superb and all three stood up wonderfully alongside Han & Chewie. I did not warm as much to Poe; but that may be understandable as he did not have as much screen time as the other three. I was gutted they killed-off Han; but not surprised. I had always suspected that Ford would only do a single movie; so better to see him in his full glory one last time [and boy was he brilliant] than not at all. Like others, I found it strange that Phasma & Luke were featured so little; but you can only have so much in one movie; these two are clearly being lined up for the next two movies.

I am still trying to let everything sink in; but overall I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I plan to head back to the cinema and see it again in a few days [as there is so much to take in] which is not something I have done in 33 years!
StooperZero
Teras Kasi

Postby StooperZero » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:50 am

Don't even care about reading spoilers.. as expected a lot of hot air and hype.

I'll go see it in about 2 weeks on a sunday or monday afternoon when about 10 people are in the theater.
Phalanxx
Scavenger

Postby Phalanxx » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:58 am

Saw the movie last night and still not sure what I think about it. Very on the fence about it. Overall to me it felt like a really good fan film.

Going to see it again this weekend with my son and see how he enjoys it. Leaving the theatre, I got the impression that the older crowd thought it was okay, while the kids enjoyed it.

I think the movie did do a good job capturing the mood feel of the star wars universe and it even mirrored events from the original movies showing that history has a way of repeating itself. For example, Luke’s failure to protect his Jedi and his exile mirrored the path of Yoda’s exile after the destruction of the Jedi Order.

Overall the characters and acting were pretty good. Think some of the characters were a bit rushed with not a lot explanation or backstory.
- Rey was great and you could tell she carried the movie.
- Finn, on the overhand, I felt like he was almost too much of the comical relief. Almost as if he was the Jar Jar of the new trilogy. The lovable goofy sidekick that got around on his luck. His more serious scenes I thought were great would have like to see more of that aspect of him.
- Poe - Liked the character but he just popped up here and there when he was needed. Wished for more character development and background.
- Han was Han, what else was there to say.
- Kylo Ren was an interesting character. Just enough of the whiney childishness in his nature and actions to really show that he had the skywalker blood in him and was related to Anakin and Luke. Will be interesting to see what becomes of him “after he completes his training.”
- Phasma – not quite sure about the point of her character and it why it needed to be casted by a named actor. Not a lot of screentime to develop the need for her unless they are planning on bringer her back.

Some of the major questions that the movie left me with were:

Kylo Ren’s power level – He did some pretty amazing things with the Force. Freezing laser beams and people, reading minds, etc.. If he’s the one that destroyed everything that Luke had built, he had to have been pretty strong in the force to deal with Luke and any of the other Jedi trainees, but during the snow battle he seemed to have a hard time dealing with Finn and Rey both new to lightsaber battles and the Force.

Who was Max Von Sydow's character and what was his connection to the Jedi and the Solo Family? Read that in The Force Awaken “Look and Find” book it mentions that he was a follower of The Church of the Force. Wonder if that will play a part in the future story.

When did Kylo Ren betray Luke and when did Luke vanish? With Kylo been Han’s son, he’s at most 30 yrs old so I doubt he was able to destroy the Jedi when he was a young child so when did it actually happen? If it happened when he was 15 to 20 years old, that would mean that Luke only vanished 10 to 15 years prior to the movie. Not a lot of time for him to become a myth or legend.

How does the Resistance connect to and tie into Republic. At one point it was mentioned that the Republic fleet would not make it in time to provide support. So if the Republic is still intact and has its own fleet why was the Resistance created. Also if the Seat of the Galactic Senate is now in the Hosnian system and that close to the Starkiller base, why didn’t the Republic have a bigger presence other than just the Resistance?
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Did anyone else catch the headstone near Luke at the end?
UKHistory
Scavenger

Postby UKHistory » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Overall it was a good movie.

It had the feel of Star Wars.

What I liked best...Rey was superb.Daisey Ridley is the rightful heir to Luke's light saber. I liked the potential of Poe and Finn as two good friends. I wised Poe had been in the movie more and his story explored better. I almost think once Harrison Ford agreed to join the cast, the story was rewritten. BB8 is wonderful. Great character. I am a little surprised that Rey can understand him. Maybe a Jedi thing? In star wars 3 po interpreted for him.

I love the background aliens and droids. The aliens are not as good, to me, as the ones from the original movies. But they are nice additions as both toys and character designs in the background.

I love the nod to Ralph McQuarie's designs.

Kylo Ren is a wonderful villain. Yes Jason, as in twin brother of Jaina, is comparable as a Solo child gone wrong. But Adam Driver plays him well and I can't help but think he has the right tone of a fallen Anakin Skywalker. Driver is a good actor.

What I didn't like

Slightly subpar editing. See Poe's story. His return to the Resistance is a story worth noting. Max Von Sydow is wasted in his role.

Han's story. Why is the Falcon sitting on Jakku. Too conveninet for Rey and Finn to take the Falcon.

Luke not having one syllable of dialogue. Star Wars was once known as the "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker". Having Luke, the actual new hope, being neutered, weak, etc is a disservice to the character. I love Han. Everyone loves Han. But this should be Luke's story.

While it is Luke's story, Han is in some ways the co-central character. You don't kill Robyn Hood; the Lone Ranger doesn't die. And Han Solo flies off into the sunset. Heck, we didn't even see Josey Wales or Butch and Sundance die. I am 44 years old and I choked up watching my childhood hero die on the big screen. I don't want to watch this movie anymore.

Starkiller base--Great name but there is no need for a superweapon. And I hate that notion of Star killer base being a planetary death star. Much better to be a major staging ground to restart the war. Shipbuilding, trooper training, etc.

Snoke? His name sounds too much like Snape from Harry Potter.

Uniforms. The First Order uniforms are facism mixed with Euro chique. The black looks satiny--very similar to the Easter Alliance from Battlestar Galactica. THAT is not a compliment. The hats are horrible and having collars is too much like Earth. Now Red Skull figures will make great First Order officer customs. The hats are awful.

Rebel uniforms are not that great save for the flight suits. But they are not great.

Fair script. Heartbreaking and unnecessary death of Han Solo. Rey rules. I do look forward the next set of movies. Especially the Han Solo flick.
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:21 pm

Actually, Han's death is necessary in order for Kylo to fully fall to the Dark Side. Snoke even said that this was necessary for him to continue his training.
Last edited by Darth Vlad's Clone on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raylen
Bounty Hunter

Postby Raylen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:32 pm

I was lucky and got to see a private screening on Wednesday night. Still processing but here's my take....

FO troopers - were EFFECTIVE and they felt like a real threat. Loved em.

Phasma - A lot of people were hoping to see how badass she'd be. Nope. Less of a part than Boba Fett. She's going to be in Ep8 so hopefully she'll have her moment to shine.

Humor - I loved it. Finn's great but I wonder how he got such a personality cause it sounds like the FO is all he's known. Maybe we'll find out more in the next 2 movies.

Chewy - Figured with Mayhew's physical issues he'd be downplayed. Nope, Chewy got a lot of action and humorous moments. Great stuff.

Starkiller Base - Really? We're doing this again? Didn't feel dangerous. Been there, done that. Didn't understand what the FO was trying to accomplish and the whole thing Abrams pulled in Trek of being able to see stuff happen far away in space.... just felt out of place.

CGI creatures on Han's ship - NOT Star Wars. They did a good job of pulling back the CGI almost everywhere, but totally went off the rails here.

The Falcon - Han and Chewy finding here like they did was WAAAAAAAAY too contrived.

Finn - maybe my favorite new character. Cracked me up.

Po - Cool guy. Easily likeable.

Snoke - Once I realized that he was just a huge hologram I wondered if perhaps he's not pulling a Wizard of Oz. Maybe he's as big as Yoda and does the huge hologram to appear more intimidating. Not to say he isn't powerful but that its all about appearances.

Rey & Kylo - Feel they overpowered Rey way too fast and way too much. As for the fight with Kylo, some thought Kylo was whooped way too easily by a complete noob. However, its unknown how well Kylo can saber fight. After all, swinging a saber without skill can still be deadly. Kylo is supposed to be somewhat self taught. He couldn't make a proper saber so...could be a reason. At first I thought Rey was a red herring and no Skywalker/Solo relation but I now believe she's Luke's daughter for a couple reasons. 1) Her connection to Luke's saber. 2) Kylo killed Han. There will be no redeeming him in my book. Therefore if he dies, the Skywalker line dies with him. Therefore Rey must be the Skywalker to continue on.

Han's death - If there was one thing that ripped my heart out it was this scene. This is the thing that will make every future viewing tough. I understand why it was important thematically but would rather had him die some other way. My thought, Kylo goes to strike him down showing full intent, Rey, Finn, and Chewy start blasting at Kylo and Han doesn't die BUT needs to stay to set off the detonators. Place blows up with Han sacrificing himself. Everyone gets the gut punch that he died. Come to near the end of E9 and Han comes in to help (ala New Hope). That scruffy looking nerf herder has gotten himself out of tougher spots than that! Boom! Happy ending. But the way they offed him there is no doubt he's dead. NO MATTER HOW THIS TRILOGY ENDS it will be a bittersweet ending. That will be 2 outta 3 trilogies that are kinda downers. And who knows who else they'll kill off in the next two movies. Personally. I'd rather see Luke bite it for the simple fact that he's the "mentor" and in the heroes journey the mentors have to die for the hero to come into their own. Just felt like Han died a pointless death and not in a blaze of glory as he should have.

..... and since this is a collector website.... where was Constable Zuvio??? There were many figures of characters I didn't even spot! I barely saw any Snowtroopers. Or snowspeeder. In fact there was a pic in Vanity Fair of Kylo without helmet and two Snowtroopers in the snow. Where was this? Makes me think there may have been quite a bit of editing, deleted scenes, etc.
Hasbro, I keep trying to give you my money. Why do you make it so hard?
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:28 pm

I'm worried about Snoke. I'm prepared to despise this character. He looks like the villain in Harry Potter. Why is there a new Sith Lord suddenly in charge of what's left of the empire? Was he the unknown heir of Sidious or something? It'll be ridiculous if one just happened to show up like that. No - I want it to be either Darth Sidious himself, or Darth Plagueis who stayed in hiding while Palps was alive. But then at some point he must have gotten to Kylo Ren while he was training with Luke. Hrm. They got lots of 'splainin' to do in ep 8.

What is the First Order's purpose in seeking out Luke? How does finding him further their interests? He's living a life of no consequence in exile, like Yoda was on Dagobah (although he chose a locale much nicer than Dagobah!) What is Rey's goal in going to see him? Is she wanting to be trained as a Jedi? They really did a poor job with that.

The more I think about Kylo Ren the more I think he's pitiful. Total Vader wannabe. Wears the mask for no reason other than to emulate his idol. Got beat in a duel by a girl with no prior lightsaber experience, and was given a run for his money and a nice scar by a guy with no force sensitivity. If Hux were more intimidating and serious he ight pose a real challenge.

Where did Finn get his personality? Great character! But the escape scene is so rushed!

Oh, you know Finn & Rey are gonna get together in 8 or 9. That onscreen kiss is gonna cause your grandfather some serious discomfort haha.

Whose daughter is Rey. Must be Luke's. hrm. So that'd make her Kylo Ren's cousin. hrm.
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

Return to “Sequel & Spinoff Films”