Star Wars: The Force Awakens - SPOILERS THREAD

Discussion about anything related to the post-Lucas movie releases.

Moderators: MistaBinks, Yakface.com Staff

Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens - SPOILERS THREAD

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:35 pm

As I mentioned above, Han's death was ordered by Snoke as a way to get Kylo Ren to further embrace the dark side and become a Sith or an equivalent of this new time. The scene between Kylo and Han mirrors that of Luke and Vader, except Luke is able to keep from succumbing to the dark side. Kylo uses their meeting to achieve a step in his path toward power and be like his grandfather, despite his inner conflict.

Kylo has lots of scars now thanks to Chewie, Finn, and Rey, but that disfiguring one was Rey's.
kevin1126
Midi-Chlorian

Postby kevin1126 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:40 pm

I've had a few hours now to process the movie, and I think that for the super-fans like myself we will never get the Star Wars movie we keep waiting for . I don't think it's because our expectations are too high, I just think it's because the original trilogy was just that phenomenal; truly a one of a kind experience.
Like many of you I was not Awed by the Force Awakens. It's a great movie, it really is; but I don't think it was epic. To me it is clear that Disney is trying to bring Star Wars forward to a newer generation of fans. They know us super-fans are going to see the movies, but they are trying to get new fans on board; and I think this movie is definitely going to do that. I will give you one great example. I went to see it with my mother and father, neither of them real big Star Wars fans. As a matter of fact my mom hasn't seen all of the movies, and it's been decades since she's seen the original trilogy. Well she loved it. She can't stop raving about it.
I myself think it was just A New Hope retold; same movie with new characters.
Here's what I liked!
1. Rey - Daisy Ridley was great; I think she did an awesome job, and I am excited about her future in Star Wars. I can't help but think she is going to be Luke's daughter. To me at the end of the movie when Leia and her embrace, I think its because Leia knows who she is, but hasn't seen her in a long time.
2. Kylo Ren - Many people might disagree with me here. But I loved the character. My second favorite villain behind Darth Vader; not sure why, but I believe he has all the conflicts and faults of a good villain. Adam Driver did a great job in my opinion.
3. Han Solo & Chewbacca - well what can I say? Harrison Ford was great, and Chewbacca was outstanding.
4. Jakku - great scenes on the planet; I liked the escape scene.
5. I liked the dialogue and humor of the movie as well.

Here's what I did not like!
1. Snoke - if he's supposed to be the main evil, it was almost laughable. Not a fan
2. Phasma - I had high hopes for the character, but she was barely in the movie at all.
3. Creatures on the ship, I felt like I was watching a B horror movie at that point.
4. Plot points: The Millennium Falcon just happened to be on Jakku; then Han and Chewie just stumble upon it in this enormous universe. Did not like how the TIE on Jakku just got sucked into the earth, seemed off to me; Luke's lightsaber being in Maz Kanata's basement What??, And Rey's escape - all of a sudden she can use Jedi mind tricks with no training?
5. Also I was so hoping that when Rey was battling Kylo Ren that that was going to be when Luke showed up - to save her. Instead she beat him? Huh? To me that would have been the perfect time to bring in Luke, instead we got the scene at the end, which to me could have been left out. The movie should have ended right after Rey and Leia hug and she gets into the Falcon with Chewie and flys off. That's when the movie should end. We all know she's going to look for Luke - too much of a cliffhanger-ry ending.

Here's what I'm not quite sure about
1. Finn - I'm on the fence about his character. And I want to see the movie again to make a better determination on what I think of the character. John Boyega did a great job, but I felt like his character was too weak. Maybe he'll grow more in the next one.
2. BB-8 - yeah it was a cool droid, cute; but I don't think I like the little droid as much as a lot of people will.
3. Maz Kanata - She knew a lot about the force and she had Luke's lightsaber, but how? Need to know more; maybe I missed this... but why was Han taking them to see her in the first place? They get there, they start talking, Rey stumbles upon the lightsaber - but why were they going there??
I feel like in the very beginning of the movie when the old man gives Poe the device (AKA the Death Star plans of this movie), it should have been the lightsaber. I feel like he would have been more likely to have the lightsaber than Maz.

Also one last thing; when Han calls to his son right before his death, Did he yell out BEN? or was it Ren? I heard it as Ben.

Finally, it is a great movie. Star Wars for the next generation. But for us older fans, I think we will never get another A New Hope, it's just not possible.
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Han went to Maz to borrow a ship since everyone knew the Millennium Falcon. He wanted to get to the Rebel planet incognito... Without the FO knowing.

Poe got the missing part of the map with Luke's whereabouts from the old man. Finn gave the Resistence the Starkiller Base weak-spot.
kevin1126
Midi-Chlorian

Postby kevin1126 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Darth Vlad's Clone wrote:Han went to Maz to borrow a ship since everyone knew the Millennium Falcon. He wanted to get to the Rebel planet incognito... Without the FO knowing.

Poe got the missing part of the map with Luke's whereabouts from the old man. Finn gave the Resistence the Starkiller Base weak-spot.

Ah you are right, they were going there to get a ship. Thanks for reminding me.
And yes Poe did get the part of the missing map. I was being sarcastic when I said Death Star Plans, because the part of the missing map is to this movie what the Death Star Plans is to A New Hope.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Here's my overall thoughts, copy/pasted over from FB :p

My spoiler free thoughts on TFA? Once again, I still prefer the overall mythos of the films to the movies themselves. The plot seemed like a hurried fan fiction in some places, the acting was a bit iffy in some places, and the dialogue was atrocious in some places. Some characters were also extremely underused. There were a few other things, but I don't want to give anything away...

I should also point out that I really went in without any preconceived notion, like I did with Jurassic World. I didn't have hopes to get up, nor did I think it was going to be a steaming pile of crap. It sparked my interest in several places, but it had me rolling my eyes in others: another moderate film.

Spoilers:

After all the information has digested I just don't think the movie was worth the amount of hype it was given. There are some definite strong points, especially the cinematography; however that doesn't make up for the disjointed and convenient plot points.

I think the major thing that sticks out to me is that we were never given enough time to enjoy the grandeur of anything in the film. We get two small peaks at the Star Destroyer. We get some pans around the cantina-esq. place. The lack of these shots definitely made it seem like there was no over arching feelings from any party. There was no foreboding from the First Order. There was no respect for any other characters. I was never once worried about anything because they didn't leave time for tension to build in between fast paced scenes and cuts.

We weren't able to catch our breath and fully feel the doom that should have came with "the Resistance base is about to be destroyed, we need to formulate a plan". Instead, every single little thing was rushed. "Let's do what we always do and get out there yesterday to do it".

It just didn't seem like a very good plot. We got elements of ANH, ESB, and ROTJ all in one movie, which made it seem like we were seeing the familiar (yet different), but it felt way too rushed. At the same time, I feel like the movie ran long. They just needed a stronger plot to pull things together.

For Disney to go across the world looking for fresh faces that could carry a story, I think they made some poor choices. Boyega's character just seemed a bit off. When we first meet him it was almost like someone had hired him just to wear the costume and not put effort into the role. Likewise, I didn't think several of his quips were very funny. "Droid please" seemed really forced.

Poe Dameron seemed like he was going to be a really cool character, but his stale dialogue with Finn killed it for me. I still dig the new flightsuits though!

Daisy Ridley was definitely the best of the three. There were some occasions where I thought she did really good, but then others the plot kind of got in the way. I hated the part when they were running from the TIE's and she was jogging but also talking with her hands. Even when I saw that part in a trailer I thought it was a poor choice, but maybe JJ is to blame for that...

And Phasma/Hux were waaaaaay underused. Phasma was hyped up as a warrior badass, but it turned out she was only in three scenes, one of which she was a hostage. Hux didn't carry enough weight to seem like a grand leader either. I could see him trying to rise up through the ranks in this film, but definitely not as a key leader in a military.

There was also a blatant lack of OT(and even PT) aliens...
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of August/20/17: Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 1!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:00 pm

I saw it again today... amazing how much more I enjoyed it all the second time.

I think they first time I saw it, I was trying to over-absorb it, if that makes sense...

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:01 pm

He called him Ben.

kevin1126
Midi-Chlorian

Postby kevin1126 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:19 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:I saw it again today... amazing how much more I enjoyed it all the second time.

I think they first time I saw it, I was trying to over-absorb it, if that makes sense...

I'm going to see it again tomorrow for a second time. I'm hoping for the same result. :D
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:13 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:I saw it again today

What?! No invite? ;)
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Darth Vlad's Clone wrote:

What?! No invite? ;)

Ha, was with my wife, son and dad - was my dad's birthday today actually.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:06 pm

Jodo wrote:We weren't able to catch our breath and fully feel the doom that should have came with "the Resistance base is about to be destroyed, we need to formulate a plan". Instead, every single little thing was rushed. "Let's do what we always do and get out there yesterday to do it".

After seeing it a second time, that's the one thing that really bothers me the most. We didn't get the feeling of "doom" like we had in the original trilogy.

What we always got great glimpses of back then were the long establishing shots of scenes - especially the Imperial stuff. We'd see a massive Star Destroyer slowly move across the screen, or several of them together - they always seemed intimidating and the screen made their PRESENCE be known. I only thought one single shot did that in this film. Which was a shame.

Overall all though, seeing it a second time really helped me collect it all in better - and it seemed like a much better film the second time through. And I thought the acting was fantastic. And some of my questions were answered after seeing it a second time.

My only gripes now:

- Snoke was too CGI
- the tentacle blobs were too CGI
- I don't like the idea of the Starkiller base sucking a sun dry
- why didn't the Republic or anyone know about the existence of the Starkiller base?
- the Falcon being on Jakku was too convenient if Han and Chewie were searching for it
- the Starkiller base should have had more of a "bad-ass" quality to it - with more fear from the Resistance
- why didn't Leia and the other leaders get off their planet when they thought it was going to get destroyed?

The CGI bothered me less the second time though.

And as much as I just mentioned I don't like, I really DO like the movie overall - a lot. Now, we need more toys from it... more GOOD toys from it.

Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:41 pm

One gripe I have is even 30 years later the people in the galaxy don't have railings on their walkways and bridges near or over chasms. I would not survive in the Star Wars universe with my acrophobia.
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:43 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:
Darth Vlad's Clone wrote:

What?! No invite? ;)

Ha, was with my wife, son and dad - was my dad's birthday today actually.

Happy birthday to your dad! Hope he enjoyed the movie. What was your son's reaction? Wife? I think my wife is more interested than I expected she would be. I've caught watching interviews and articles about it.
Warsaw
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Warsaw » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:10 pm

Darth Vlad's Clone wrote:Did anyone else catch the headstone near Luke at the end?

My friend did. As we walked out he asked if I noticed it. I saw a couple boxes as Rey was part way up (she took notice) but I was too transfixed on Luke's robe color & cut to look around. Luke's wife's headstone? An apprentice's headstone? Very interesting.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:15 am

I definitely want to see it again for sure, but I want to wait until things die down just a bit, and the memories aren't as fresh as just a few days. :p
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of August/20/17: Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 1!

Return to “Sequel & Spinoff Films”