Discussion about anything related to the post-Lucas movie releases.

Moderators: MistaBinks, Yakface.com Staff

By darthvlad
Well, this thread needs to be dusted off! I have been trying to remain spoiler-free for the most part but have read two items that were spoiler-ish (I'm not going to post them here even though it is a spoiler thread) and I'm curious to see where they fit into the movie as a whole and in relation to Han's history.

With that said, I've got tickets tonight to see it with Chewie and Jodo! Should be a good time for us geeks.
By darthvlad
Fun as in I enjoyed it and loved a lot of the scenes in it. I pretty much enjoyed all the characters. Mimban was completely cool to see. It reminded me of All’s Quiet on the Western Front in a way.

Some interesting Easter eggs throughout and name drops.

One big reveal was okay but not sure how it will work for some viewers that don’t read books or watch cartoons.

Surprisingly, our theater might have been only half full? Might be over estimating.
I saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. The only problem for me is the amount of characters that I want 3.75 SA figures of that hasbro will never make.
By darthvlad
ImperialOfficer wrote:I saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. The only problem for me is the amount of characters that I want 3.75 SA figures of that hasbro will never make.

That’s usually the case lately.
By UKHistory
Liked it. Fun movie. And honestly the anthology films are where star Wars’ future is.

Not perfect. I think the Brian Daley younger Solo(which would be five to 8 years older than this version) is more the Solo we know.

I quibble with Han being a grunt and not graduating an academy. I strongly reject solos name is not his own. We didn’t need to see the Kessel Run. I’d think a smuggler would make multiple runs.

Maul was a huge surprise and for a gotcha moment I like it. I just would have preferred mall not show up in the film. Better a new villain or a xizor or even jabba. But maul is shocking.

Love woody as Beckett; Val and rio died too quickly. Way too. quick. Chewie is awesome. Emilia Clarke is good. Her femme fatale could have been developed more. But good.

Lando is awesome. Don’t like that he was a cheater. But overall really cool. L3 is fine. Great voice. Vis is a good villain. I think. EST should have just been a marauder. No need to brin the rebels in yet.

Fun. Will see it a lot. And would like to have figs from it. Great droid designs. Correlia is a grimy industrial world. Cool designs.

Just impressed.
Loved it!! I avoided all previews like the plague, didn't know anything about it going in. The sequel trilogy is highly disappointing so far but Rogue One was awesome.

**SPOILERS**

I literally lol'd when Chewie was introduced. I loved Han, actor pulled it off great. Ditto Lando. Other characters are great. And the surprise appearance, great! Looking forward to sequel.
This was a good, but not a great movie, for most of its run, but man oh man does it fall apart in the last half hour. The ending is terrible and, unfortunately, really ruined it for me. What a bummer, as so many of us have been clamoring for a SW movie set entirely in the criminal underworld (though I doubt many of us have been clamoring for a Han Solo origin movie.)

This movie also went ridiculously overboard with "Last Crusade" style "explanations" for every single aspect of Han's life. Chewie, Lando, the Falcon, his blaster, Chewie's nickname, the Kessel Run....everything is so crammed together and so absurdly fan-service-y that it really grates on the nerves. They really should have taken a "less is more" approach with all of those insane "explanations/origins." Even the vest shows up in the movie's final moments.

Ordinarily I'd say I need to see the movie a second time to get a more complete sense of it. But I really don't *want* to. At least not for a long while. Alas....
By darthvlad
I liked that they used the Decraniated in this movie since they were cut from Rogue One.

My "issue" with the one cameo is that the casual movie goers (those who dont know about or don't watch the cartoons or EU) will be confused by his appearance, especially since there's no explanation for him being there.
Second viewing excellent, very satisfying film. I love how Han and Chewie meet, I literally lol'd, Donald Glover really nailed Lando, can totally see Billy Dee's manner, and the actor who played Han did a really great job too.

You're right about the last half hour LQ, but meh. It's not the best star wars movie ever, but it beats the pants off episodes 7 & 8.
I thought it was a fun Summer movie, but it was the weakest of the Disney SW movies in my opinion. My nephew didn't really like it - he thought TLJ was much better. I'm guessing the box office is going to shut down the possibility of another Solo movie. Frankly, I just didn't feel the epic nature of all the other SW movies in Solo, it was entertaining, but didn't feel like a story that had to be told. I have mixed feeling about the toy line now as well, but there are some figures I like either way - Moloch for example. Oddly enough, I didn't really like or feel a connection to most of the characters. I'm not sure where this leaves a number of fans / collectors...
darth_sidious wrote:I thought it was a fun Summer movie, but it was the weakest of the Disney SW movies in my opinion. My nephew didn't really like it - he thought TLJ was much better. I'm guessing the box office is going to shut down the possibility of another Solo movie. Frankly, I just didn't feel the epic nature of all the other SW movies in Solo, it was entertaining, but didn't feel like a story that had to be told. I have mixed feeling about the toy line now as well, but there are some figures I like either way - Moloch for example. Oddly enough, I didn't really like or feel a connection to most of the characters. I'm not sure where this leaves a number of fans / collectors...

I agree with all of this. It is easily the least essential Star Wars movie ever and has miniscule stakes. Very little in this movie actually matters. Han doesn't change or grow as a person. It "explains" a lot of unnecessary stuff about Han's life, but doesn't tell us at all about who he is as a person or how he got to be the person he is when we first meet him. He's basically the same person at the end of the movie he is at the beginning, despite losing his love which was the defining drive in his life up to that point. But that doesn't land and doesn't seem to matter to him at all. What a waste.
Community fodder box...

Okay... Trying to upload photos from my phone of […]

Cane Adiss They can scale it to fit the TBS box, […]

Walmart and TVC

Scored two TVC Range Troopers yesterday at Walmart[…]

yea, this physical store exclusives crap has to g[…]

Ugh... so I'm going to have to broach the topic of[…]

I've got nothing for this. When Hasbro released T[…]

RETURN OF THE JEDI - THE VINTAGE COLLECTION Sh[…]

Aw man, that was a fantastic ending to your story.[…]