Discussion about anything related to the post-Lucas movie releases.

Moderators: MistaBinks, Yakface.com Staff

By Incom
My 2 cents:

Saw it on opening night and really liked it right away. So yeah, a lot of stuff is explained in a very obvious manner, but I can see past that. This one and the other "non-Skywalker" movie Rogue One, are to me very enjoyable chapters.

Alden had some very big shoes to fill, judging from the online hype, or did he? Well, yes, if you expected him to copy Harrison Ford, but guess what? He wasn't there to act like Ford portraying the role of Solo, he was there to portray a younger Han Solo. And I think he did a swell job. Right down to small gestures, postures and facial expressions.

I also liked Donald Glover's role as Lando. A lot. He got that part down to a T. And Jonas has really become the 'new' Chewbacca. What an awesome role for him in this movie. And of course, the real star of the movie: the Millennium Falcon :)

I have now seen it three times, because ever since TFA came out, I have this silly urge to watch a SW movie multiple times, with Rogue One a record 12 viewings :D And I still like it. But admittedly, the supporting characters still don't do much for me. Expendable, just there to fill in the blanks.

The Maul reveal was surprising and I think obviously setting up other movies. Perhaps a movie about the underworld and crime syndicates? Maybe a hint to that Obi-Wan movie?

All in all, I give it 7 out of 10. Or 3.5 out of 5. Whichever you prefer ;)
By jlw515
Lance Quazar wrote:**JLW** Nah, come on. Originally, he's pretty self-centered. Then his character develops in helping Chewie. Finally, we end with his conflict of being the hero that he really is, or stick to the smuggling trade he's recently learned. Plus, I think they good job with Qi'ra's story of being a slave/orphan to what we think is a crime lord's pretty sidekick to in reality a deadly assassin.**

Sorry, but there is no character development here. If we know nothing about Han going into this movie, what do we see early on? That he's basically a nice guy. He's very loyal to Qira and all of his actions stem from trying to go back for her, even three years later. So, right off the bat, we know he's very loyal and decent.

So helping Chewie isn't learning anything new about him. It just reinforces his loyalty, which we already know. Throughout the movie, Han tries to pretend he's a badass, but Qira correctly guesses that he's not. That he's a nice guy. And she's right. At the end, he hands over all the fuel to Enfys Nest. Again, doing the nice thing. The fact that he literally doesn't join their cause basically doesn't matter. He still may be lying to himself about being a badass, but he's not, he just gave someone SIXTY MILLION CREDITS because they basically won him over with a sob story in two minutes.

So han doesn't fundamentally change AT ALL during the course of the movie. That's what I mean by lack of character development.

One assumed going in that, since the Han we meet in ANH is selfish and cynical, that this movie would get Han to that place. It might start him out as a lovable and innocent guy and he'd be hardened by the events of the movie into the version of Han we know later. But that doesn't happen. Maybe Disney thought taking Han to a dark place in the end was too much of a downer ending. But instead we have a static character throughout. Which is deeply unsatisfying.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie and others did, too. There are SW movies I love that I can't convince other people to love no matter how much we discuss it. But this was just one of the large areas in which I think this movie failed.

Lance,

What would be your ranking of Star Wars movies? 1. being the best? Curious to know.

Jason
jlw515 wrote:
Lance Quazar wrote:**JLW** Nah, come on. Originally, he's pretty self-centered. Then his character develops in helping Chewie. Finally, we end with his conflict of being the hero that he really is, or stick to the smuggling trade he's recently learned. Plus, I think they good job with Qi'ra's story of being a slave/orphan to what we think is a crime lord's pretty sidekick to in reality a deadly assassin.**

Sorry, but there is no character development here. If we know nothing about Han going into this movie, what do we see early on? That he's basically a nice guy. He's very loyal to Qira and all of his actions stem from trying to go back for her, even three years later. So, right off the bat, we know he's very loyal and decent.

So helping Chewie isn't learning anything new about him. It just reinforces his loyalty, which we already know. Throughout the movie, Han tries to pretend he's a badass, but Qira correctly guesses that he's not. That he's a nice guy. And she's right. At the end, he hands over all the fuel to Enfys Nest. Again, doing the nice thing. The fact that he literally doesn't join their cause basically doesn't matter. He still may be lying to himself about being a badass, but he's not, he just gave someone SIXTY MILLION CREDITS because they basically won him over with a sob story in two minutes.

So han doesn't fundamentally change AT ALL during the course of the movie. That's what I mean by lack of character development.

One assumed going in that, since the Han we meet in ANH is selfish and cynical, that this movie would get Han to that place. It might start him out as a lovable and innocent guy and he'd be hardened by the events of the movie into the version of Han we know later. But that doesn't happen. Maybe Disney thought taking Han to a dark place in the end was too much of a downer ending. But instead we have a static character throughout. Which is deeply unsatisfying.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie and others did, too. There are SW movies I love that I can't convince other people to love no matter how much we discuss it. But this was just one of the large areas in which I think this movie failed.

Lance,

What would be your ranking of Star Wars movies? 1. being the best? Curious to know.

Jason

Thanks for asking. Happy to have this conversation! Currently, it's:

ANH, ESB, ROTJ, R1, TLJ, ROTS, TFA, SOLO, AOTC, TPM
By jlw515
Lance Quazar wrote:
Thanks for asking. Happy to have this conversation! Currently, it's:

ANH, ESB, ROTJ, R1, TLJ, ROTS, TFA, SOLO, AOTC, TPM

So, do you "like" ANH better than ESB, or do you think it's actually a better film/story?

I "like" ANH the best, out of all the films. It's my favorite of all. However, I don't think it's the best SW film. To me, ESB is the best film, but it's my second "favorite." Can't believe you ranked TLJ so high. UGH!! But my cousin feels the same way as you though (we've debated this quite a bit). The whole Kylo & Rey fight scene is like the Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow (Retaliation) team-up to him.

I really liked TPM, but can see how it failed with kids on so many levels. Lucasfilm banked on kids appealing to Jar Jar and Ana-kid which they didn't.

As an adult, I like the political background of the story. Also, I like sort of the religious aspects of the Jedi, and how there is a division with Qui-Gon Jinn (I certainly identify with Qui-Gon for not sitting on the council). Plus, I like the Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs. Maul fight scene. It's problematic in parts, I get that, but man you gotta love Qui-Gon pimp slapping Darth Maul! LO!

I think TFA is a great film, except for the over used "Death Star" plot. I even feel like Han's line "It's another Death Star" is kind of a "give me a break" type of line.

But TLJ! Come on, dude! We may have to discuss that one over coffee some day! HA!

Jason
By YAK_Chewie
I've seen it three times so far.

For me, it's gotten better each time... and it was the first Star Wars movie my daughter has seen, and she loved it, so there you go. :)

On any note, it does something that the other three Disney films haven't totally done - this movie is FUN all the way through. For once, there's no stress watching a Disney era movie, because I know going in that the characters that I really care about will survive. And that's really refreshing for me.

What I didn't like was a bit of trying too hard to mention Aurra Sing, Bossk, and stuff like that. That is not needed. And Lando's droid annoyed me a bit - especially the cutting of the fence - that scene was cringe worthy - almost a bad as the Maz Kanata holo scene in TLJ.

Alden did much better than I think most people would have expected. I do think Anthony Ingruber would have drawn much more interest though - I am confident that the casual fan would have been more eager to see someone who at least looks like a young Harrison Ford. It most certainly does matter, in spite of what some people might think. I'm not really in the mood to go into a big debate on why this movie didn't perform well at the box office though, but I will say I think it's a combination of factors.

Ranking these now from my perspective... let's see... I'd probably have to go in groups of A, B, C now because I really don't know that I can separate some of these... for example, I'd rank Solo, TLJ, and TFA all about the same...

Group A
- ANH
- TESB
- Rogue One

Group B
- ROTJ
- Solo
- TLJ
- TFA

Group C
- ROTS
- AOTC
- TPM

:wink:
By UKHistory
Chewie, I agree with you. Solo, while not perfect, was pure fun. In some ways Solo was the most fun I have had at the movies since 1983. I have seen it five times and want to see it at least once more.

I really liked Ingruber for the role which worries me beforehand but the cast I thought was great.

I love this era of Star Wars with empire at its height.

I have been critical of the prequels but I like them more than the last jedi. Primarily because Luke dies and Carrie Fisher really died.

Also I will say this, the joy I had in my heart in 1999 when John Williams music roared from the screen was pretty awesome. 19 years later my heart has warmed if not too tpm at least to what it represented.

Enjoy Solo.
By Imaculata
I finally went to see Solo, and I was very surprised. I liked it a lot.

What I liked especially is that all the plot points connect really well. There's the occasional call back (and some unnecessary mentions of random characters), but there wasn't the outrageous amount of fan service that turned me off from Rogue One. I also like that the Empire is really just in the background during the film, and never takes center stage. There's the occasional stormtrooper, and of course the check point scene. But it's really not about the Empire. And yet the movie succeeds at showing the rise of the Empire before the rebellion, and showing it during the height of its oppression.

A lot of things that I thought I was going to hate, turned out to be really not that bad. I didn't really mind how Han got his last name, or his gun. And quite frankly I liked almost all the main actors. The only one who I thought was mediocre, was Emelia Clarke. But I've always said that I got the impression that she is an actress with not a whole lot of range. This movie once again reinforces that belief. Everyone else though, just fine.

For the majority of the film Alden Ehrenreich does not look like Han Solo. But there's a few shots near the end of the movie, where you see him from the side, when he looks almost exactly like him. There's also a few callbacks to scenes from the original trilogy, where they literally copied scenes with Han on purpose. And maybe this was just our imagination, but I could have sworn they spliced in a frame of Harrison Ford in some of the scenes.

What was really important to me, was how they fleshed out the characters. It felt to me like everyone had a reason to be in the movie, and nobody was just a random action figure filling screentime (I'm looking at you Baze Malbus and Chirrut). All the characters were well fleshed out and interesting. There's also quite a lot of interesting alien designs in the movie, and some excellent WWI inspired costumes.

Also, contrary to Rogue One, this movie picks just a few locations and sticks with it. The movie is not constantly hopping all over the place, and we see almost all of the movie through Han's perspective. The one thing that I really disliked, was the opening of the movie, with Han in his speeder. It just wasn't a very strong opening, as if the writers didn't really know how to start. But once it gets going, it's a fun ride.

The action set pieces are really good, especially the train sequence. But the movie shows quite a lot of restraint in the action department towards the end. It all plays out in a more personal confrontation, rather than some over the top explosive action scene. And I appreciated that. I also liked how some things come full circle. Obviously we all know Han is going to win the Falcon over a game of Sabacc. So I think it was an excellent choice to have him lose the game halfway through the movie, right when he needs to get his hands on the Falcon. The mock-unfriendly hug by Lando from Empire Strikes Back, is used excellently to explain how Han puts an end to Lando's cheating towards the end of the movie. I felt that was just a perfect way to connect these callbacks into the actual plot. This was my biggest criticism of Rogue One; if you are going to do a callback, justify its existence in the story. Don't just throw in the "You'll be dead"-guy for the sake of having him make a cameo. Solo does a great job at justifying most of its callbacks, and using them to bring the story full circle.

At the heart of the movie though, is Han's friendship with Chewie, which I felt was very well done. Also, Donald Glover just oozes charisma as Lando. He is perfect. The plot overall is pretty predictable. The movie marks all of Redletter Media's checkboxes of lazy writing: Sabacc, meeting chewie, Kessel run, and Sith cameo, all in one single adventure. But it's how it all comes together that is also important. In that respect, I'm a little sad that the movie did so poorly. It deserves to be seen by more people, because it is a fun ride, and really not as bad as some people make it out to be. I would definitely rate this higher than The Last Jedi, and much higher than Rogue One. Just a good old fun space-adventure romp.
By darthvlad
Glad you went to see it, Imaculata. I really want to see it again a couple more times before it disappears from theaters, which could be sooner than later... but life's been hectic.

I'll admit I was one of those that said "why do we need a Han origin story?" but I'm glad I saw it. It was a fun movie and that's what mattered to me when I walked out of the theater. TLJ wasn't like that. I don't know why, but maybe it wasn't what I was expecting for the movie. It didn't have that adventure appeal that Solo or Rogue One had... but I rank it above Rogue One because of the fun factor.

There were a few things I didn't like about Solo: the origin of his name (if the Empire gave it to him, why would he keep it once he became a smuggler. I'd think he'd use an alias instead of his "slave" name. L3's awkward opening of the gate was weird. Is it supposed to be like she's peeing on the fence? And I thought Maul felt forced. On the other hand, I liked that Bossk and Aurra Sing were mentioned. It was fan service, but it wasn't forced in the way Walrusman and the Doctor were in Rogue One. I would think that Val and Beckett would know of Bossk and other bounty hunters, gangsters, etc, by reputation or from personal experience just because they float in the similar professional circles. At least it wasn't Fett that was name-dropped.

But besides those points, I think it was pretty solid and agree with most everything what you wrote.
I didn't plan to see it more than once, but my brother wanted to go, so we went - I think I enjoyed it more with him, because he liked it more than my nephew did, lol. He thought it was good, but like me, said it just wasn't epic - he sorta laughed that the plot was about hyperfuel. I had a completely different experience with TLJ - I was in awe after seeing it the first time. They went in several directions I didn't expect, and that frankly made it better in my opinion - with Solo, I saw everything coming a mile away, save for Val blowing herself up! :? Well, and Maul - that came out of nowhere!
By YAK_Chewie
I have a theory that they plan on having Maul on Dathomir as a way to tie in Jabba's rancor.... Maul's ship crashes on Tatooine, somehow tied to a battle with Kenobi... with the rancor on board....

I hope that is not part of their plan, but I do hope we see Dathomir in a spinoff and see another rancor or two. Love those beasts.

:wink:
darth_sidious wrote:I didn't plan to see it more than once, but my brother wanted to go, so we went - I think I enjoyed it more with him, because he liked it more than my nephew did, lol. He thought it was good, but like me, said it just wasn't epic - he sorta laughed that the plot was about hyperfuel. I had a completely different experience with TLJ - I was in awe after seeing it the first time. They went in several directions I didn't expect, and that frankly made it better in my opinion - with Solo, I saw everything coming a mile away, save for Val blowing herself up! :? Well, and Maul - that came out of nowhere!

Well-said! TLJ is truly surprising in spots, all Solo does is check off things we've already heard about while offering almost nothing that was new and certainly nothing that was surprising (except for a certain awful cameo!)
By WOOOF
I loved Solo, been watching it pretty much every day. I love the way they use natural lighting in it and the way it explores some of the dark corners of the SW universe without Jedi and force powers. Its really heart breaking that it kind of got dumped on the market so soon after TLJ, but I still love it.

Dang, and I thought that was going to be an easy […]

Community fodder box...

Box arrived, I havent had time to go threw it tho[…]

The Dark Crystal (Funko) 3.75 line

Received an email from Amazon updating my Dark Cry[…]

I make stuff too!

Productive weekend. This'll be the last new custom[…]

Silvasu Fi p63 / Index p1

You must have quite the collection of bodiless clo[…]

Here is my attempt at a character that may or may […]

Funko Reaction Maria (robot)

Thought this Maria robot figure from the movie Met[…]