GI JOE Figures - Past & Present

Check out items from Kotobukiya, Medicom/Kubrick, Marvel, Disney and more!

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Re: GI JOE Figures - Past & Present

Postby Paulskywalker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Now thats how movie cobra commander should have looked from the start!! :D
Some collectors can be so rude and arrogant!
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Went by a store today called Vintage Stock in St. Louis (Chesterfield Mall) as I heard a tip that they had some of the new movie figures.

What I saw:

Basic Figures ($9.99)
- Snake Eyes x 1
- Storm Shadow x 1

Deluxe Motorcycles ($14.99)
- Snake Eyes x 4-6
- Firefly x 4-6

Battle Packs ($19.99)
- Cobra Ninja, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow x 2
- Kamukara, Roadblock, Beachhead x 2

Vehicles ($24.99)
- AWE Striker (Snake Eyes) x 2

I picked up the Cobra Ninja set for my son, that's what he wanted. But overall, I thought these looked really cool. And if standard retail can keep the prices on the basic figures down, this line could be a real hit. The deluxes were lame though in my opinion and are destined for clearance.

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed May 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Saw the 12" electronic Snake Eyes and Roadblock yesterday for the new movie at TRU... figures can't be far behind...

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby zedhatch » Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Not sure if it's retail running up the prices, Noticed everything is going up on Hasbro's front and the ROC feasco hints that they cut costs but are trying to "Maximize profits" (Direct quote from thier toyfair interviews about the cutbacks in the line).

I got a feeling this whole line is headed for the clearence lane come christmas, I know seeing that price I quickly revaluated my wants and cut them down accordingly. Some stuff I would get for sh**s and giggles at $6.97 (where joes were last year) but at those prices no way.
Updated Mon-Fri every week
zedhatch

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 pm

GI JOE Retaliation moved back to March 2013 for 3D Conversion...

This sucks. I was really excited about seeing this over the summer, and I know my 5 year old son can't wait. I hope this ends up being worth the wait... and I wonder how this is going to affect the toy push?

:?
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby zedhatch » Thu May 24, 2012 12:21 am

WTF!!!???

OK sooo the toyline is still coming or what?

I mean some have leaked it so I guess it is.

This is a mess, March is a terrible release for such a big film on top of that.
zedhatch

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu May 24, 2012 10:53 am

I saw some role play items at Wal-Mart yesterday, but I don't know what this means for the basic figures.

I'd assume stores are going to put it all out, but imagine if Hasbro tells them not to, and they send it back? That would be a pretty big mess though I'd think... either way, it sure throws things off. Hasbro was banking on there being the big media push to drive the figure sales.

However, I kind of think from the looks of the figures, that this stuff is going to sell anyway - which could make Hasbro rethink their approaches moving foward...

But on any note, this feels like a kick in the stomach, an uppercut to the shin, then a wet crap in the face.

I was so looking forward to seeing this movie this summer, and my little boy can't wait. I think this goes to show more than anything, someone wasn't happy with how the film was turning out and it looks like an act of desperation to convert to 3D to try and get kids interested in it. At least that's what it looks like on the surface. It looks like the movie is going to suck and they're scrambling for a way to save it.

I can't see any possible way that Hasbro is happy about this, unless they also agree that the movie just isn't all that good... I mean, really... the previews have looked cool, but not to the point where I'm blown away. I was hoping for some more classic designs - maybe they'll take advantage of this and find a way to squeeze in some classic looking Cobra Troopers into a scene or two, etc. I don't know. But I'm pissed off either way.

If there aren't new figures to get, I'll be equally pissed. And that's mostly because my son is so excited for this stuff. His birthday is this Sunday, and we've gotten him very little so he could instead get figures at TRU next week.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby Paulskywalker » Thu May 24, 2012 12:26 pm

You guys seen the new stuff revealed at Cooltoyreview, couple of those head sculpts made me look twice as they look so real. The HISS looks like the top could come off as a flying vehicle, even if it doesn't i could see it being customised; the TF shockwave HISS is neat too.
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu May 24, 2012 12:52 pm

What new stuff are you referring to? The only info I see is them reporting of the film's delay, and the pics above it are older images that have been out for a few months.

I swung by three stores on my lunch break today, Wal-Mart and Target didn't have anything out, but TRU had put out two cases of new Joe movie figures, a ton of the little motorcycle things, and some vehicles and battle packs. I didn't think this stuff was supposed to be out until May 28 but I guess I was wrong.

I bought the following:

- 1 x Cobra Commander (black) - $9.99 each
- 2 x Joe Trooper (blue cloak) - $9.99 each
- 1 x Roadblock battle pack (Roadblock, Kamakura, Beachhead) - $19.99 each

Almost bought Duke, but the face looked really bad. I guess we have so many ROC heads, we could just swap one of those... also of note, the Joe Trooper's heads are swappable with their helmet, which is what Hasbro should do with clone troopers!

Those are all for my son's birthday on Sunday... I'm sure he's going to love these, just wish they had some Cobra Troopers... someome had already beat me to those.

The blue Cobra Hiss looked kind of neat, but he's got several of the older 25th anniversary ones and one of the big maroon one already.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby Paulskywalker » Thu May 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Oh ok my bad, i thought the gallery they linked to was new. sorry!
Paulskywalker
Supreme Chancellor

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu May 24, 2012 1:12 pm

No problem! :)

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby zedhatch » Fri May 25, 2012 12:12 am

From what I read today, there are two things going on, first was Battleship and how bad it tanked (and even though it was #2 it still only made 18% of it's budget so far) that's a sting Hasbro has to be felling as well as it was another movie they had coming.

The other is some folks on AICN are saying they have gotten reports from test screeners that the movie was just awful. Some even said it was worse than ROC (although I can't imagine how).

And the survays actually asked "WOuld you like to see more of Chaning Tatum?" EEEEEKK!

Chu said that 3-d was too cost prohibitive last year, suddenly it's not?

Rock said that they are shooting new sceanes to "enhance the 3d effect" but I am doubting that one too.
zedhatch

Postby LadyIrithyl » Fri May 25, 2012 5:59 am

Most movies that fail domestically make up losses over seas, if its in 3D. Overseas goes nuts for the 3D effects. So I can at least see them doing some more 3D to try and make up for potential losses this movie is going to cost.

As for the toys, I thought the last movie line put out some nice Joes. which I'm hoping will be the case this time as well.
LadyIrithyl
Nerf Herder

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri May 25, 2012 9:16 am

If the movie indeed sucks, I guess I would not be surprised... the director hasn't given me much confidence. Way too much ninja stuff from what I've seen in previews... but overall, the previews haven't looked bad.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Other Star Wars/Non-Star Wars