Check out items from Kotobukiya, Medicom/Kubrick, Marvel, Disney and more!

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

By theArchivist
Its stuff like this that makes me scratch my head and wonder why companies don't do this more often. I mean, why can't they just take figures they already have molds for and put them in some cheap packaging (or even polybags) and sell them to discount stores to begin with.

Instead they seem to want to design new figures and packaging, create new molds that are sub-par to what they have already created.

It seems in recent cases a lot of their figures end up at stores like 5 Below, TJ Maxx, ROSS, etc anyway for $5 or less. Why make new crappy 5POA figures when they already have better figures they can use. And just to be clear I am not a 5 POA hater. I have a lot of figures with 5 POA or less. I actually like figures produced by Chap Mei/Toys R Us better than most of the figures currently in the market, But when a company has already designed a fantastic figure and mold and then go and redesign a new less quality figure. That seems like a terrible idea and I have no interest in any of the figures they have recently done this with. Star Wars, Spider Man 2, Iron Man, Avengers....

I know we always hear that "production costs" keep going up but I am sure the design of the figure, the design of the packaging, the creation of the mold, are a pretty expensive part of the process. Cutting those out of figures like Stormtroopers, Clones, or other Army Builder type figures. Seems like a great way to keep product moving. I mean, I see Chinese e-bay sellers doing that exact thing...
I remember Hasbro doing something like that with POTF Stormtroopers and Endor Rebel Soldiers back in the day. I wish they would do something like that again.
By zedhatch
theArchivist wrote:Its stuff like this that makes me scratch my head and wonder why companies don't do this more often. I mean, why can't they just take figures they already have molds for and put them in some cheap packaging (or even polybags) and sell them to discount stores to begin with.

Instead they seem to want to design new figures and packaging, create new molds that are sub-par to what they have already created.

It seems in recent cases a lot of their figures end up at stores like 5 Below, TJ Maxx, ROSS, etc anyway for $5 or less. Why make new crappy 5POA figures when they already have better figures they can use. And just to be clear I am not a 5 POA hater. I have a lot of figures with 5 POA or less. I actually like figures produced by Chap Mei/Toys R Us better than most of the figures currently in the market, But when a company has already designed a fantastic figure and mold and then go and redesign a new less quality figure. That seems like a terrible idea and I have no interest in any of the figures they have recently done this with. Star Wars, Spider Man 2, Iron Man, Avengers....

I know we always hear that "production costs" keep going up but I am sure the design of the figure, the design of the packaging, the creation of the mold, are a pretty expensive part of the process. Cutting those out of figures like Stormtroopers, Clones, or other Army Builder type figures. Seems like a great way to keep product moving. I mean, I see Chinese e-bay sellers doing that exact thing...
I remember Hasbro doing something like that with POTF Stormtroopers and Endor Rebel Soldiers back in the day. I wish they would do something like that again.

If you are a regular GI Joe fan you would realize that most of the figs that keep coming out are repaints anyway. Take retaliation line for example. Roadblock and "Ultimate" Roadblock is almost a dead repaint (Only change was to the holsters) and yet cost the $10 range. Not that there was a need for over six roadblocks in that line, I mean I know he is a main character but dear God. Same with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. Duke died in the first five minutes of the film and got 3 or 4 figures. Even a "newish" character like Lady Jaye (at least to moves) was a repaint and headswap from Scarlett they year before. Let alone how many repaints of last year's storm shadow were done in the line. Don't even get me started on wave 1 that cut out most of the articulation as well as the craptastic 5 POA drivers.

Wanna talk about really outrageous, the GI Joe club keeps doing subscription figures that are repaints and kit-bashes that occasionally have one new part (like one in three or four) and charge $25 bucks each. ARRRGH!

Distro is even worse with the last few waves impossible to find (Although I have heard they are finally getting out in stores like 5 below).
By StooperZero
what kills me is..
family dollar sells the 5 POA marvel universe crap @ $5 each
Dollar General has the GI joe multi POA for $6 each....

Give us basic Star wars/Marvel multi POA figs at $6 a piece hasbro and you'd make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Star Wars Hot Wheels

Anyone here collect these? Hasbro's Black Serie[…]

i have 2 so far. Is the poop easy to clean up?

Community fodder box...

Sure, I'll toss a few bucks in there. Canada shi[…]

Black Spire Outpost- WIP

Thanks everyone! I had some time this weekend to b[…]

Mimban Stormtrooper

Yeah, Walmart exclusive. Hasbro could not have […]

Load the Barge!

Bib Fortuna (new sculpt) Tessek (new sculpt) […]

Yakfinities #69 - CRIMINALS

Li’l Klee – The youngest of fourteen children in h[…]

Rogue One Assault Tank

Very happy with mine. Love the paint job and all o[…]