Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By darthvlad
YAK_Chewie wrote:
Lance Quazar wrote:What is factory injection molded plastic and how is it different from your current methods?

Thanks!

These would be products made out of plastic, different from resin casts.

:wink:

Yeah, I need enlightened as well.

Plastic is better than resin?
If so, how?
Cheaper?
By Raylen
darthvlad wrote:
YAK_Chewie wrote:
Lance Quazar wrote:What is factory injection molded plastic and how is it different from your current methods?

Thanks!

These would be products made out of plastic, different from resin casts.

:wink:

Yeah, I need enlightened as well.

Plastic is better than resin?
If so, how?
Cheaper?

Resin is two liquids mixed together that cure to a solid. Tons of different formulas, cure times, rigidity, etc.

Injection molding takes little beads of plastic (again you can get different types like ABS, Polycarb, etc). They are heated to melting temp and through extreme pressure injected into a metal mold. This is how anything from an action figure, a computer keyboard, or model kit is produced. Its more durable, will be 100% identical parts, and can be made in any color. Because costs just to make a mold can cost as much as a car means almost no "little guy" can afford to do it. On top of the mold cost, you usually have to get thousands of dollars of parts purchased as a time.
By Raylen
Lance Quazar wrote:Raylen,

Do the Tantive Walls come as shown on the website or do they require painting?

What color is the rebel war room table?

Thanks!

Both Tantive walls and War table come in white so you have to paint them. I recommend painting the walls because if you use a doorway with wall extensions, you have to splice and putty them together to form the wider wall.
By Raylen
Oh and if I didn't mention it before, I will be making Snoke's throne for the TVC release. Just need to get my hands on him when I can. Knowing how bad distribution is in my area, that might not be until June!!!
By Raylen
darthvlad wrote:Would you ever be interested in doing something small like Kylo Ren’s ashtray “centerpiece” with melty Vader helmet? Or an opened version of Kylo’s helmet?

that'd be cool. getting the helmet right would be the toughest part.
Raylen wrote:

Thanks!

Both Tantive walls and War table come in white so you have to paint them. I recommend painting the walls because if you use a doorway with wall extensions, you have to splice and putty them together to form the wider wall.

If the Tantive walls are white, do they really need to be painted? Or do they look good in their "natural" state?
By Raylen
Lance Quazar wrote:
Raylen wrote:

Thanks!

If the Tantive walls are white, do they really need to be painted? Or do they look good in their "natural" state?

They'd probably be "good enough". But say you get a piece and there's a speck of "dirt" in it, or you don't get the doorway off the bat, but do later. Then you might wish you had. Also sometimes parts can have glossy areas. Painting has the advantage of making sure everything will always match. But obviously its up to you
By Raylen
Its been quiet for awhile here but I have good news. Two new items should be hitting next week. First is the Supreme Leader throne in 3.75" scale. Second, is a large door for the Rancor pit. Its in a "raised" position. Enjoy a sneak peek at the throne.

IMG_4185.JPG
IMG_4185.JPG (34.02 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
By Raylen
Now available!

Supreme Leader Throne: Leaders may get a throne, but "supreme" leaders get a BIG throne. It may be a little tricky with the soft goods on the VC Snoke figure. They weren't made very baggy and so you may have to mess with them to get them to lay right and not show tons of creepy old guy legs. If you're not inclined to keep your figure mint, cutting up the middle at the back of the legs (like tails on a tux) might allow the fabric to pull forward a bit more and drape better.

dio supreme leader throne web.jpg
dio supreme leader throne web.jpg (44.77 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

dio supreme leader throne 2 web.jpg
dio supreme leader throne 2 web.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

Large Dungeon Door: Meant to be a door in the raised or "open" position, this door is 12" across and 3.5" high not including the spikes. To avoid casting a huge slab of resin to get the proper thickness, a bit of magic is used to fake it. A small strip is glued along the bottom edge for the spikes to attach to. Thus the visible area makes the door look correct without weight and material waste.

dio large dungeon door web.jpg
dio large dungeon door web.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

dio large dungeon door 2 web.jpg
dio large dungeon door 2 web.jpg (16.35 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

and more ross

It is about time I reupload my Halloween Town. h[…]

TVC Desert Skiff

I would have never even thought about that! Actu[…]

Thanks! I'm a little behind on schedule right no[…]

PS, every time I look at your thread I have to c[…]

Custom Tree Huts Star Wars !!!!

Bumped because someone asked me about these today.[…]